Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

So how long did your auto last?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 03:30 PM
Jer

So how long did your auto last?

I am now the proud owner of a 2-speed auto @ 26,000km's after the blower install

Just curious, how long did your autos take to blow? How many of you still have the original tranny and for how long?

I'm trying to decide upon a brand new OEM'er with VB and TC, or doing a level 10 rebuild.. I'd like to try and save some dough if possible though

Thanks!

Jer
Old 01-25-2003, 07:58 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: So how long did your auto last?

blew oem tranny, and don's vb failed @ 71500~ miles

2nd tranny, on 11 psi of boost, and running fine so far, no slippage.

Currently searching for a 5spd lsd to swap in for spring break
Old 01-25-2003, 08:29 PM

128K miles. 1500 miles blown and with Jeff's VB before auto breakdown. Currently 3K miles on rebuild with Jeff's VB, better torque converter, running the 3.33" pulley.

-Ben
Old 01-25-2003, 10:06 PM
Jer

Re: Re: So how long did your auto last?

Hmm, this is the kind of response I was sorta hoping for. I'm thinking my combination of recently changed driving habits (I'm really babying it), and possibly a weakened VB are what's behind this, especially after taking my father's car out for a spin (2000 GXE) and it shifts exactly the same ugly way!

What is wrong :

- 2nd-3rd shift is horribly sloppy if it is done at half throttle or more (beyond 3k), or the car takes forever to shift - it buckled last night

- 3rd-4th shift is also slippy, but has been so for a long time

- transmission whine when the car is in freezing temperatures, prior to warm up (yeah it can mean something is broken, but if your tranny band is whining that can stay for 60k without any adverse effects/failures)

- car feels weaker (attributed to me driving it softer and possibly being on crack)

I'm going to have the gracious dealer here do a solenoid fix done once more, and then if it doesn't feel better, I'm going to donate my VB to someone else's car to see how it shifts from 2-3... if it doesn't feel normal there, I'll be giving Maxximum Tuning a call!

In the worst case, I'm looking up parts for a rebuild kit.. I'm still uneasy about taking the Level 10 route and wasting money on something that can be had for 1/3rd the price.

*Edit : to add insult to injury, I now cannot find the VB removal instructions anywhere.. there are 230420493 posts about vb's but nothing to be seen (and an FAQ link in one of the posts is broken)
Old 01-26-2003, 12:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: So how long did your auto last?

Originally posted by Jer
Hmm, this is the kind of response I was sorta hoping for. I'm thinking my combination of recently changed driving habits (I'm really babying it), and possibly a weakened VB are what's behind this, especially after taking my father's car out for a spin (2000 GXE) and it shifts exactly the same ugly way!

What is wrong :

- 2nd-3rd shift is horribly sloppy if it is done at half throttle or more (beyond 3k), or the car takes forever to shift - it buckled last night

- transmission whine when the car is in freezing temperatures, prior to warm up (yeah it can mean something is broken, but if your tranny band is whining that can stay for 60k without any adverse effects/failures)

- car feels weaker (attributed to me driving it softer and possibly being on crack)

I'm going to have the gracious dealer here do a solenoid fix done once more, and then if it doesn't feel better, I'm going to donate my VB to someone else's car to see how it shifts from 2-3... if it doesn't feel normal there, I'll be giving Maxximum Tuning a call!

In the worst case, I'm looking up parts for a rebuild kit.. I'm still uneasy about taking the Level 10 route and wasting money on something that can be had for 1/3rd the price.

*Edit : to add insult to injury, I now cannot find the VB removal instructions anywhere.. there are 230420493 posts about vb's but nothing to be seen (and an FAQ link in one of the posts is broken)
Hmm, well earlier I was crusin with a few Maxs tonight and I noticed at a little less than half-throttle my 2nd to 3rd gear shift was a little slippy, but I think I may have gave it a little more gas when it was in the middle of the shift causing it to try to stay in 2nd gear a little longer. I then floored it from the top of 1st and it ahifted really firm like it supposed to to 2nd, and pretty much firm to 3rd, like it should. Though, I really wish my VB (Stage 2) was firmer on the 2nd to 3rd as well as 3rd to 4th like how 1st to 2nd is.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmm. Lets see.. Lost 3rd & 4th after about 3K of use. Maybe a lil more. Running 3.33". Have Jeff's vb mod. Currently doing a 5spd swap. Should have it picked up tomorrow
Old 01-26-2003, 11:07 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Re: Re: So how long did your auto last?

Originally posted by Jer

What is wrong :

Jeff's vb is that way, as is Don's vb, 1-2 is swift, 2-3 and 3-4 are barely better than stock. There's no way around that as far as recalibrating the vb. Mine does that, and every other person with max tuning's vb does the same that I've talked to.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:07 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

So it finally went, huh? 5 speed swap with Quaife LSD.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Jer

Hehe that's what I'm trying to figure out.

When Jeff did my VB he made 2-3 a tight shift; not as hard as 1-2, but it would just *shift*. Adunno

I'm going to get the solenoids done, I'm thinking maybe they got messed... after that I'll have to say yes Kev.. my tranny = POOF!

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
So it finally went, huh? 5 speed swap with Quaife LSD.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:09 PM

Jer: sorry to hear about this have you considered a 5spd swap?? level10 rebult will be more expensive than a conversion.

mine's still running ok...vb'ed at 32,000 miles, boosted at 35,200 and currently 41,700. total boosted and vb'ed miles : 6000. I dont push her too much....I bet even granny can pull a half car length on me if you see the way I drive.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:27 PM
RBa

Wow.. So many ppl are auto..

My tranny is still good. Put about 5000miles after the blower and I'm running on stock boost..
Old 01-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Jer

Hehe, I drive like a granny now too so it shifts eventually lol.

I'm considering other options actually; I'll post details to the list when I have the time, but I figured if Level 10 makes so much money on a TC that you can buy from protorque themselves, why not get all my own parts and supply them to a tranny shop... the only expense will be the R&R and the actual rebuild work... I'll let you guys know when I get around to doing it.. I'm hoping this will all come out to about $1200-1400 (US - not Canadian )

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
Jer: sorry to hear about this have you considered a 5spd swap?? level10 rebult will be more expensive than a conversion.

mine's still running ok...vb'ed at 32,000 miles, boosted at 35,200 and currently 41,700. total boosted and vb'ed miles : 6000. I dont push her too much....I bet even granny can pull a half car length on me if you see the way I drive.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:29 AM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
Hmm. Lets see.. Lost 3rd & 4th after about 3K of use. Maybe a lil more. Running 3.33". Have Jeff's vb mod. Currently doing a 5spd swap. Should have it picked up tomorrow
poor rental

Old 01-28-2003, 10:11 PM

I got my 3.25" Pulley and Don's VB Mod about 10k ago - AND I accidentally put GL5 fluid in there and drove it around for 6 months before realizing how stupid I was and flushing it with Dextron III.

And I drive like a maniac.

And she still shifts perfectly.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:49 PM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by iansw
I got my 3.25" Pulley and Don's VB Mod about 10k ago - AND I accidentally put GL5 fluid in there and drove it around for 6 months before realizing how stupid I was and flushing it with Dextron III.

And I drive like a maniac.

And she still shifts perfectly.

for the autos !

Old 01-28-2003, 11:59 PM
Jer

Hmm... maybe I should push for that solenoid fix again after all

Originally posted by GoldenGlory

for the autos !
Old 01-29-2003, 12:17 AM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by Jer
Hmm... maybe I should push for that solenoid fix again after all