Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Autometer boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 07:10 PM

Autometer boost gauge

How happy are you guys that run the autometer, especially with turbo. I was looking around and found this http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...oost+Gauge+Fix
and was wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2003, 07:38 PM

Re: Autometer boost gauge

Originally posted by CBass69187
How happy are you guys that run the autometer, especially with turbo. I was looking around and found this http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...oost+Gauge+Fix
and was wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks
That's not a bad idea. Though, I didnt have any trouble with my boost gauge being slow, mine is pretty accurate according to my idle reading and full boost reading using the supplied nylon hose. I guess if you get a kink in your nylon hose, then that could be a good substitution.

-Ben
Old 01-30-2003, 07:57 PM

I have the autometer phantom boost gauge and am happy with it. My readings at idle and full boost are what they're supposed to be.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:17 PM

autometer

Thanks for your input guys, it has been most helpful!

Russ
Old 01-30-2003, 10:51 PM
RBa

Re: autometer

I used to have the sport-comp series but when I changed it to the phantom series, I lost 2 psi at max boost.. Went from 7psi to 5psi.. I'm running on the stock pulley.
I also ended up bending the nylon straw during installation.. I fixed the bends but there are still little creases..

Could that be the reason I lost the 2psi??

My vaccum seems to be accurate which reads inbetween 18-20 when parked and 15-20 when at idle in drive...

Stupid autometer!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2003, 05:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: autometer

Originally posted by RBa
I used to have the sport-comp series but when I changed it to the phantom series, I lost 2 psi at max boost.. Went from 7psi to 5psi.. I'm running on the stock pulley.
I also ended up bending the nylon straw during installation.. I fixed the bends but there are still little creases..

Could that be the reason I lost the 2psi??

My vaccum seems to be accurate which reads inbetween 18-20 when parked and 15-20 when at idle in drive...

Stupid autometer!!!!!!!!
As long as the hose is not kinked to the point that it is sealing off the boost gauge from the manifold pressure, then a crease in the line doesn't matter.

The difference in pressure with your Phantom gauge compared to your Sportcomp gauge is due to poor calibration of your gauge(s). My Phantom boost gauge reads ~1 psi high compared to a very accurate pressure gauge we have at work used for checking gauge calibration.

Yeah, it sucks, but for $40 it works well enough.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by robocop199
I have the autometer phantom boost gauge and am happy with it. My readings at idle and full boost are what they're supposed to be.
I agree, I have digital boost readout too, and they always come out almost exact same... still doesn't look like a bad little mod though
Old 01-31-2003, 07:58 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: Re: Re: autometer

Originally posted by Stephen Max

As long as the hose is not kinked to the point that it is sealing off the boost gauge from the manifold pressure, then a crease in the line doesn't matter.

When I changed my nylon hose because of one kink it didn't make any difference in the readings.
Make sure all of the hose connections are tight as well. I found some leaks after retightening some clamps and my vacuum reading looked way more respectable.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:50 PM

hate to burst some bubbles here, but autometer is some of the worst boost gauges on the market.

i know this from personal experience
i went from a auto/phantom series 30-0-30, was set at 14 psi
went to a spi pro series. 12 psi. and registered more vacuum at idle {20}

just thought id share. somethings you don't want to be cheap on. it might cost you big later
Old 02-03-2003, 05:22 AM

Originally posted by Bryan H
hate to burst some bubbles here, but autometer is some of the worst boost gauges on the market.

i know this from personal experience
i went from a auto/phantom series 30-0-30, was set at 14 psi
went to a spi pro series. 12 psi. and registered more vacuum at idle {20}

just thought id share. somethings you don't want to be cheap on. it might cost you big later
Yeah, but how do you know your spi gauge is accurate? Costs more?

I work at a research lab where we have very accurate calibration gauges, so I have been able to quantify the accuracy of some of my Autometer gauges. My Phantom boost gauge is about 1-1.5 psi high compared to the calibration gauge (so the boost gauge inaccuracy appears to be endemic). My full sweep fuel pressure gauge is dead nuts accurate, though, as is the oil pressure gauge. I checked my oil temperature gauge by immersing the sending unit in boiling water, it also was accurate at that temperature, at least to the extent that the needle appeared to be just past the 210F mark. EGT gauges are harder to calibrate - I haven't done any test on mine, but I know what the gauge reads normally after a quarter mile run, so any differences in temperature are referenced to an established experience base.

I think Autometer gauges have good value, i.e. performance per dollar. If I owned a more expensive car, I'd use more expensive gauges. But Autometer makes good looking gauges and they are not out of place in a 4th gen Maxima.

By the way, I don't know who's bubble your bursting. I haven't seen anybody claim that Autometer gauges were as accurate as more expensive ones.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:43 AM

so what your saying is. that you believe that all gauges on the market are accurate?

i just thought id share my experience. but i guess this isn't a place to do that anymore.

hell what do i know.

im just a dumb newbie......
Old 02-03-2003, 05:57 AM

so what your saying is. that you believe that all gauges on the market are accurate?

How do you draw that conclusion? Why would I take the time and effort to check the calibration of my gauges if I thought that? Did you even read what I said?
Old 02-03-2003, 06:00 AM

yes i did read what you typed.

im more apt to trust a guage that i have had several years experience with

and personally, and from a dsm builder stand point, autometer doesn't rank that high in most accurate in our land of things

accuracy be in .5 psi, or 1.5 psi can mean a big difference in the end of a 1/4 mile run.

or a blown motor...

just my thinking.

BTW, i have tested both gauges.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:16 AM

yes i did read what you typed.

im more apt to trust a guage that i have had several years experience with

and personally, and from a dsm builder stand point, autometer doesn't rank that high in most accurate in our land of things

accuracy be in .5 psi, or 1.5 psi can mean a big difference in the end of a 1/4 mile run.

or a blown motor...

just my thinking.

BTW, i have tested both gauges.
Okay, let's back up here. You made a blanket statement concerning Autometer gauges being "some of the worst gauges on the market", and gave an example of your boost gauge being off by 2 psi. I took issue with your blanket statement by relating my experience of calibrating my gauges against test gauges. My experience was that although my boost gauge was also off by 1 to 1.5 psi (which validates your statement concerning the Autometer boost gauge), all the other gauges I tested came out quite accurate.

Based on my experience, I would say Autometer makes good gauges, except for the boost gauge. But, now that I know how much my boost gauge is off, I can convert to actual psi, so I'm happy with it. I am especially happy I didn't pay two or three times more for a different gauge that may only be marginally more accurate.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:19 AM

pretty much man.

im just stating my opinion on the matter.

the other gauges are decent as well.

personal choice.

remember
im not used to be up at this funky hour. so i may go back and change some statements later.
just bear with me for a bit.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:40 AM
Administrator

pretty much man.

im just stating my opinion on the matter.

the other gauges are decent as well.

personal choice.

remember
im not used to be up at this funky hour. so i may go back and change some statements later.
just bear with me for a bit.
squishster.. i missed your birfday.. happy belated

edit: checked the profile its not here yet
Old 02-03-2003, 06:56 AM

spritey

yer gettin kinda slow in your old age man