Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

VQ35 Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 10:22 PM

VQ35 Turbo Questions

I haven't seen anyone try it yet, so I thought that I'd ask.

How much effort would it take to modify the 4th gen turbo for the VQ35, if it's possible at all? I've basically maxed out with most of the mods I can do (short of a few), so I'm looking to start saving towards a turbo. I'd go the SC route also, but it's kinda dumb to do so when I want the turbo for the max gains. I don't want to run crazy boost or anything, but want something that will give the VQ the kick it's been asking for.

Also, if anyone is doing any trials, etc, fill me in. I'm 6000 miles away from no warranty, so I may hop on the "test-junkie" boat soon for a new setup.

And if the VQ35 has already been turbo'd, can you give me the details on it? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:11 AM

Re: VQ35 Turbo Questions

It would probably be easier to get a shop to custom build you the turbo. There's so much different that not much would work.

From my research, the hardest part really is the turbo feed pipe, this is why it's the most secretive part with PFI's setup. Everything else is just pipe bending which any competent shop can do.

Originally posted by studman

How much effort would it take to modify the 4th gen turbo for the VQ35, if it's possible at all? I've basically maxed out with most of the mods I can do (short of a few), so I'm looking to start saving towards a turbo. I'd go the SC route also, but it's kinda dumb to do so when I want the turbo for the max gains. I don't want to run crazy boost or anything, but want something that will give the VQ the kick it's been asking for.

Also, if anyone is doing any trials, etc, fill me in. I'm 6000 miles away from no warranty, so I may hop on the "test-junkie" boat soon for a new setup.

And if the VQ35 has already been turbo'd, can you give me the details on it? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:18 AM
Got Bent?

What would you do for fuel management? Doesn't the VQ35 have a returnless fuel system?
Old 04-20-2003, 07:55 AM

What did Stillen do for fuel management on their supercharged 350Z? Isn't that returnless also?

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
What would you do for fuel management? Doesn't the VQ35 have a returnless fuel system?
Old 04-20-2003, 09:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
Its not that hard, you can still put an FMU on there. You just put a T and feed one to the FMU and the other to the Fuel Rail, then the bleed off the FMU goes to another T that goes straight back into the Supply line, like a loop.

Dixit
Old 04-20-2003, 04:19 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Hmmm...the only "magic" involved in all of this is getting the exhaust to feed the turbo and the charged air to the intake manifold. The rest of it is all open to debate. Oh man, if only I'd known then what I know now...

Anyhow, don't try to do any modifications of an existing system. You'd be far better off taking it from scratch with knowledge and experience gained from what was right and wrong with the previous Maxima setups. You're not really turbo-charging a VQ35 as much as your turbocharging a make and model. The issues to be addressed are primarly related to exhaust routing/charge supply/fuel. Hence, what works for a 2003 3.5l Altima won't work for a 2004 Maxima, which won't work for a 350Z, although each might carry the exact same turbo charger, fuel management, gauges, boost controller, etc. The difference is in the piping.

Cheers,

JK
Old 04-20-2003, 07:18 PM

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to make it sound easy. It's nothing I'd attempt myself, one of my good friends specializes in custom turbos, so they make it sound easy. But I still think it would be the same work if not easier to get someone to custom fabricate you a kit as it would to modify a 4th gen kit. At some point, you're doing so much modifying that building from scratch may take less work.

Originally posted by joaquink
Hmmm...the only "magic" involved in all of this is getting the exhaust to feed the turbo and the charged air to the intake manifold. The rest of it is all open to debate. Oh man, if only I'd known then what I know now...

Anyhow, don't try to do any modifications of an existing system. You'd be far better off taking it from scratch with knowledge and experience gained from what was right and wrong with the previous Maxima setups. You're not really turbo-charging a VQ35 as much as your turbocharging a make and model. The issues to be addressed are primarly related to exhaust routing/charge supply/fuel. Hence, what works for a 2003 3.5l Altima won't work for a 2004 Maxima, which won't work for a 350Z, although each might carry the exact same turbo charger, fuel management, gauges, boost controller, etc. The difference is in the piping.

Cheers,

JK
Old 04-20-2003, 09:45 PM
VQ Wizard

The only Turboed VQ35's I know of are the 350z test cars.

Im sure you've seen those details on my350z.com
Old 04-21-2003, 03:22 AM

Re: VQ35 Turbo Questions

Originally posted by studman

It's impossible. Won't work. move along
Old 04-21-2003, 03:25 AM

Re: Re: VQ35 Turbo Questions

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

turbo maxima with even more displacement?
Old 04-23-2003, 06:40 PM

This guy on_alert posted lots of turbo pics, including turbo feed/return pipes. I know its not the same car but still front engine/same layout, so your routing of pipes will be similar.
Just show those pics to your highly-competitive turbo shop, they'll copy that design for you.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:38 AM

Oh really, why is it impossible. A fist full if cash can make many things possible.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:05 PM

S/C or Turbo for VQ35

With the great minds that are in this industry, I'm sure both a turbo and a supercharger will be available shortly. The 350z is a true sports car (to some) and the demand for turbos and S/C for that car is going to be much higher, i.e. quicker release of those products. I guess we have to wait for them to get around to engineering out a S/C, which is what I'm interested in, for the family sedan, grocery getter Maxima...Hah! I hope I didn't already miss the boat on a S/C being available for the 02 or 03 models?
Old 05-28-2003, 04:34 AM
Blu
the tits

I really had you thinkin I beat you too it on april 1st
Old 05-28-2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Its not that hard, you can still put an FMU on there. You just put a T and feed one to the FMU and the other to the Fuel Rail, then the bleed off the FMU goes to another T that goes straight back into the Supply line, like a loop.

Dixit
circulate it within the inlet to the fuel rail, not a bad idea! will it work?

what is Greddy and stillen using to up the fuel pressure? we need to ask the 350Z guys
Old 05-28-2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

circulate it within the inlet to the fuel rail, not a bad idea! will it work?

what is Greddy and stillen using to up the fuel pressure? we need to ask the 350Z guys
I was about to suggest a call to stillen, but my guess is thats just gonna bring up some more confusion
Old 05-28-2003, 09:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: VQ35 Turbo Questions

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

I really had you thinkin I beat you too it on april 1st
I called you on it but you stuck to your bluff

good one
Old 05-28-2003, 11:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ35 Turbo Questions

I called you on it but you stuck to your bluff

good one
The bluff didnt really have to be called, He had the white writing under the post he made sayin its april 1st so that was a dead give away from the start, then again alot of people didnt see that. Or was that just me
Old 05-29-2003, 04:09 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ35 Turbo Questions

Originally posted by HitManSE

The bluff didnt really have to be called, He had the white writing under the post he made sayin its april 1st so that was a dead give away from the start, then again alot of people didnt see that. Or was that just me
I think it was just you....your buddy Andy believed it totally and posted about me in another one of these turbo vq35 threads . I saw it and went in and told him and I got a
Old 05-30-2003, 12:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ35 Turbo Questions

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

I think it was just you....your buddy Andy believed it totally and posted about me in another one of these turbo vq35 threads . I saw it and went in and told him and I got a
Yeah I remember that post, after I checked the link I was like wtf? doest he know it was a joke and I think it was like 2-3 weeks after the 1st too You had alot of people goin though, I just thought it was too much of a conicidence for you to get a turbo in april 1st and when Matt/SR started to back it up every1 was sold.