Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Couple of turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 06:57 PM

Couple of turbo questions

Okie I just got that turbo. Im pushing 5and half psi to be safe for now. But i want to push more.. .... IM a 4 gen

I know i need to upgrade pistons, fuel system and my auto tranny.

questions...

1 will 300zx tt pistons work for my car? or should i go with after market forged pistons? if so how much and where to buy?

2- fuel system will 300zx tt pump and injectors with rail fit in my car or should i go the after market route? if so how much and where?

3- MY AUTO TRANNY will need to be albe to handle alot more boost.. How do i do that with out converting to manual.. i dont like manual... .

PLEASE help any info is great thanks
Old 05-20-2003, 06:58 PM

Also 1 last question how much to build up engine? and what it involves?

thanks
Old 05-20-2003, 07:19 PM

Re: Couple of turbo questions

Originally posted by MaxgtrBlue

3- MY AUTO TRANNY will need to be albe to handle alot more boost.. How do i do that with out converting to manual.. i dont like manual... .

you can check stuff out at levelten.com
their performance transmission system kit "Fixes sloppy shifts, burnt clutch and bands, slippage, no 1-2 upshift, no 2-3 upshift, burned out direct clutch, flair up, rev limiter on shifts.
A must have for NOS, Turbo, Supercharged machines.
Time 5-8 hours. Skill 3 transmission removal necessary.
Performance enhanced when used in conjunction with I112-2750 SHIFTRONIC, JA358-4000 TORQUE CONVERTER, JA215-4000 HYDROSYSTEM.
Torque 500 ft. 600 HP.
Nissan Cars 1985-up All FWD "

totally it handles like 600 hp..but i really doubt that.
theyre located in new jersey
Old 05-21-2003, 12:15 AM

1 will 300zx tt pistons work for my car? or should i go with after market forged pistons? if so how much and where to buy?
Try JE Arias. Talk to Turbo95max he built his VQ

Mobiletek valvebody mod, also they are coming out with a high stall torque convertor. Dont go thru level ten I have heard horror storys.

As far as the 300zx fuel system im unsure I have heard you can do this changes over, check into RC eng they make custom fuel systems also.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:45 PM

Re: Couple of turbo questions

I'm in the same boat as you, car is getting a custom turbo, and it's an auto.

1.) 300Z engines are totally different, nothing will swap over. Get the pistons from the VQ30DET (Japanese motor) or get Arias, or JE. Lots of money here, mostly labor.

2.) Don't bother w/ the 300Z pumps, I think they'll fit, but you might as well get a Walbro, $95, and it'll flow all the fuel you'll ever need. You can use the 370cc injectors off of a 300Z TT, I forgot what years work. I think it's only the 94+, could be wrong though. No need to upgrade the fuel rail. Also, to run the injectors, you're going to have to do a lot of tuning to get the car to run right.

3.) Don't go Level10, it's been proven many, many times that they don't use upgraded parts for the Maxima (or for a lot of other cars for that matter). It's a scam. They sell you OEM level replacement parts and call them upgraded. Plus, they don't even sell the kits anymore, they will only now install the kits into your tranny themselves. Gee, I wonder why? Maybe it's so you can't tell what parts they're using.

Find a local shop that can do auto tranny work. There are lots of performance transmission shops that can do the work. Just have to find one in your area. It all depends on how much power you want. You can just get the VB mod and that'll be good for a while, but if you want serious power, it's going to cost serious money to rebuild the tranny. Maybe try Maxtuning's tranny?

Originally posted by MaxgtrBlue
Okie I just got that turbo. Im pushing 5and half psi to be safe for now. But i want to push more.. .... IM a 4 gen

I know i need to upgrade pistons, fuel system and my auto tranny.

questions...

2- fuel system will 300zx tt pump and injectors with rail fit in my car or should i go the after market route? if so how much and where?

PLEASE help any info is great thanks
Old 05-21-2003, 02:52 PM

Re: Re: Couple of turbo questions

Originally posted by Shadow

2.) Don't bother w/ the 300Z pumps, I think they'll fit, but you might as well get a Walbro, $95, and it'll flow all the fuel you'll ever need. You can use the 370cc injectors off of a 300Z TT, I forgot what years work. I think it's only the 94+, could be wrong though.
I'm maxing out my injectors @ 17 psi so those will work fine. There's the question of Do I get red dot, blue dot, or black.. (I think it MAY only be blue and black...) anyways, as long as all 6 are the same color, you're fine. I don't believe the injectors changed, different models injectors were put in cars of the same year. To this day I still have no explanation on blue or black... (or red) just get all 6 the same.
The fuel pump on a Z will hold 700 ish HP, (flow tested) so you're fine there if you can get if for cheap.
As mentioned, if you can get one for less than $100 go for it.
Personally, I think the internals will hold up fine, just research into lowering the compression so you can boost safer. Then when something blows, worry about the internals. Years ago people didn't know how much the Z engine can hold on stock internals. Now it seems that left and right people are putting down 450-550 rwhp on stock internals.
Good luck w/ your research.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Couple of turbo questions

Originally posted by PiotrC70

The fuel pump on a Z will hold 700 ish HP, (flow tested) so you're fine there if you can get if for cheap.
As mentioned, if you can get one for less than $100 go for it.
Wait so the stock fuel pump on a Z can easily push 700hp? What psi does the pump max out at? If it maxes out at say 60psi then I might have a problem unless I put in larger injectors (which no one currently makes for the 5th gen).

Dixit
Old 05-21-2003, 03:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Couple of turbo questions

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Wait so the stock fuel pump on a Z can easily push 700hp? What psi does the pump max out at? If it maxes out at say 60psi then I might have a problem unless I put in larger injectors (which no one currently makes for the 5th gen).

Dixit
Ouch, you got me on that one.... I know one of the well known members had tested it and they said it's good to that amount. People were thinking of the skyline fuel pump until someone had tested it.... I honestly don't know what psi, BUT, he did have a little grid that I SWEAR, had the psi listed on it... GO to twinturbo.net and do a search and click on the box that finds pictures, you should be able to get it. Sorry i can't be that much of help to search for you, I have .org only access at work.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:48 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by desertmaxima
Mobiletek valvebody mod, also they are coming out with a high stall torque convertor. Dont go thru level ten I have heard horror storys.
and you've heard better from Mobile Tek.... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

when did Level 10 stop offering their PTS kit?? the site has them listed for $579, but it is strange how that is almost a $300 reduction since 3-4 months ago!
Old 05-21-2003, 06:28 PM

Some people have called them, and they were told they no longer sold the parts only. I haven't called them, so I don't know this firsthand.

Originally posted by DA-MAX

and you've heard better from Mobile Tek.... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

when did Level 10 stop offering their PTS kit?? the site has them listed for $579, but it is strange how that is almost a $300 reduction since 3-4 months ago!
Old 05-21-2003, 09:26 PM

defly ask jeff at max tuning.. dont go with level 10..im just giving you some info from their site
Old 05-23-2003, 02:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Raf2kMax
defly ask jeff at max tuning.. dont go with level 10..im just giving you some info from their site
only 95 96 tt injectors will fit on a 4th gen. if ur not going higher then 10 psi you wont have to upgrade the injectors. fuel pump is a must. im not sure about the tranny i have a 5 speed. . vq motors are very sturdy. if ur tunned and not running too lean our motor will hold up to 10 psi. anthing over i'll say watch out for detonation. I have ran up to 18psi on stock internals(Lasted only 2 mins). but i have ran 14psi for through the whole day and the compression reads good still. so if ur not going boost crazy like me and tune ur car at around 9 or 10psi its more then enough power to beat amost any car on the road.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by qnpark8282

9 or 10psi its more then enough power to beat amost any car on the road.
Almost, but not all