Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Supercharger warm up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 08:25 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Supercharger warm up...

Vortech recommends waiting until the engine water temp reaches normal and then 5 minutes after that.

Is that just waiting for the oil to come up to temperature I assume? Anyone know what temp the oil should be before boosting?

Just started wondering on my way into work today...
Old 05-22-2003, 08:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Supercharger warm up...

Originally posted by ejj
Vortech recommends waiting until the engine water temp reaches normal and then 5 minutes after that.

Is that just waiting for the oil to come up to temperature I assume? Anyone know what temp the oil should be before boosting?

Just started wondering on my way into work today...
Corky Bell recommends 150F. But what does he know?

reference
Old 05-22-2003, 08:58 AM

I usually wait at least till the needle goes like like halfway to the middle point before I start moving the car.. And for the first 5 min I don't go past 3K rpm.. After that it's boost time
Old 05-22-2003, 10:01 AM

time for more gauges maybe an oil temp gauge.

Can you tell the oil temp by looking at the water temp?
Old 05-22-2003, 10:10 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Supercharger warm up...

Originally posted by Stephen Max

Corky Bell recommends 150F. But what does he know?

reference
Sounds reasonable. How long does it take you to get to 150F? Takes me a lot longer than 5 minutes after the water temp is up.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:20 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
I usually wait at least till the needle goes like like halfway to the middle point before I start moving the car.. And for the first 5 min I don't go past 3K rpm.. After that it's boost time
I drive off for work gently (like an old lady) and because the engine is cold but once it reaches the mid point of the temp gauge its time to boost!
Old 05-22-2003, 10:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Supercharger warm up...

Originally posted by ejj

Sounds reasonable. How long does it take you to get to 150F? Takes me a lot longer than 5 minutes after the water temp is up.
Yeah, me too. In cooler weather it never really gets there, but that may be because I have the oil temp sender in a place where it gets plenty of cool air, so it may be reading artificially low. A Heisenberg type issue. (The act of measuring something changes the quantity you're measuring.)
Old 05-22-2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
time for more gauges maybe an oil temp gauge.

Can you tell the oil temp by looking at the water temp?
The problem is getting an accurate reading from the OEM water temp gauge. But from what I've seen, the oil temp lags the water temp, but will eventually get to about 180-200F in warm weather, which is what you would expect the water temp to be. I've seen the oil temp higher than that on occasion, usually when sitting in traffic on hot days, but never from boosting. Of course, the oil probably gets significantly hotter than that while passing through the engine.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:50 AM
ejj

The problem is getting an accurate reading from the OEM water temp gauge. But from what I've seen, the oil temp lags the water temp, but will eventually get to about 180-200F in warm weather, which is what you would expect the water temp to be. I've seen the oil temp higher than that on occasion, usually when sitting in traffic on hot days, but never from boosting. Of course, the oil probably gets significantly hotter than that while passing through the engine.
I've never seen my oil temp get (much) above 180F. I wonder if its because of my sensor location (SC oil feed line).
Old 05-22-2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by ejj

I've never seen my oil temp get (much) above 180F. I wonder if its because of my sensor location (SC oil feed line).
There must be some cooling of the oil through the SC oil feed line.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:01 AM
ejj

There must be some cooling of the oil through the SC oil feed line.
That's my assumption. Kinda like a mini-oil cooler. Its making me re-think installing mine (oil cooler).
Old 05-22-2003, 11:45 AM

stephen: I remembered reading somewhere that part of the engine is cooled by water and another part of it is cooled by engine oil. I am wondering, does water temp reflect oil temp? I beleive even the stock water temp gauge read inidicate the water is warm, but does it mean the oil is also ready for boost? It should take a lot longer to warm up oil than water.

Originally posted by ejj

That's my assumption. Kinda like a mini-oil cooler. Its making me re-think installing mine (oil cooler).
did you get the sandwich adapter with thermostat? If, you dont have to worry about overcooling.

is it better to tap the oil temp sender right after the stock oil pressure sender.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Warm up for 30 seconds to a minute, then drive under 3k (and no boosting) for 5-10 minutes. After that, have fun.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:50 AM
ejj

did you get the sandwich adapter with thermostat? If, you dont have to worry about overcooling.
No, but I was going to order one before installing the cooler.

is it better to tap the oil temp sender right after the stock oil pressure sender.
Why is that "better"? I want to know the temperature of the oil going into the SC, so my current location is the best for that purpose.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by ejj

Why is that "better"? I want to know the temperature of the oil going into the SC, so my current location is the best for that purpose.
but it is not the actual oil temp inside the engine. That location (near the stock oil pressure sender) will give me a higher reading and if that reading is lower than 180, and I will know the oil that goes into the SC will be equal or less than that. I would also like to know how hot the oil is inside the engine and see if an oil cooler will be applicable. If so, by using that location, I can also do a comparison with and without the oil cooler. Greddy has a sandwich adapter that has a port for oil temp sender....

I tapped my tranny oil temp at the exit hose to the radiator. so I can see the peak temperature. If I tap the sender right after the cooler, I will not know what's going on inside the tranny.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:16 PM
ejj

but it is not the actual oil temp inside the engine. That location (near the stock oil pressure sender) will give me a higher reading and if that reading is lower than 180, and I will know the oil that goes into the SC will be equal or less than that. I would also like to know how hot the oil is inside the engine and see if an oil cooler will be applicable. If so, by using that location, I can also do a comparison with and without the oil cooler. Greddy has a sandwich adapter that has a port for oil temp sender....

I tapped my tranny oil temp at the exit hose to the radiator. so I can see the peak temperature. If I tap the sender right after the cooler, I will not know what's going on inside the tranny.
My point is that I want to know the condition of the oil that the SC is being feed. I am not as highly concerned with oil temps in the engine.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by ejj

My point is that I want to know the condition of the oil that the SC is being feed. I am not as highly concerned with oil temps in the engine.
I see....But you wouldnt know how hot the oil is inside the blower, maybe 200, 210F....If you like to monitor just the SC, will it be better to see how hot the oil is after it went thru the SC? same goes to the engine and tranny mentioned in my earlier post.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:13 PM
Jer

Hehe : tap a temperature sensor before the S/C and after the S/C, etc....

I see....But you wouldnt know how hot the oil is inside the blower, maybe 200, 210F....If you like to monitor just the SC, will it be better to see how hot the oil is after it went thru the SC? same goes to the engine and tranny mentioned in my earlier post.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Jer
Hehe : tap a temperature sensor before the S/C and after the S/C, etc....

temp gauge is 40 bucks apiece

Old 05-23-2003, 05:58 AM

temp gauge is 40 bucks apiece

But a sender is only about $10-12, so you can do what I did back when I had an auto tranny: run two temp senders to a switch, then to the temp gauge. That way I was able to monitor both tranny and engine oil temp at the flick of a switch. But not simultaneously, of course.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:02 AM
ejj

Yeah, that would be good to know. However, my #1 concern is that the oil that the SC is seeing is in proper condition to be boosting. Both pressure and temperature. That's why I put both my senders before the blower.

But a sender is only about $10-12, so you can do what I did back when I had an auto tranny: run two temp senders to a switch, then to the temp gauge. That way I was able to monitor both tranny and engine oil temp at the flick of a switch. But not simultaneously, of course.
Good idea. I'd love to have one right after the SC, but there's no real way to do so as far as I can tell.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:19 AM

hmmmm...I wonder if they make a gauge that can be connected to two senders at the same time. So there are two sets of markings and two needles on the gauge. I was thinking to use my tranny temp on the oil...but I have to go thru all the trouble de-isntall the sender and refill more ATF.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:34 AM

hmmmm...I wonder if they make a gauge that can be connected to two senders at the same time. So there are two sets of markings and two needles on the gauge. I was thinking to use my tranny temp on the oil...but I have to go thru all the trouble de-isntall the sender and refill more ATF.
Autometer makes a two-channel air-temp gauge like that. I've never seen any pictures of it, though. That would be neat to have. You could measure the air temp going into the blower and the air temp immediately after and do efficiency calculations. Or you could do the same for air going into and out of an intercooler.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:56 AM

Autometer makes a two-channel air-temp gauge like that. I've never seen any pictures of it, though. That would be neat to have. You could measure the air temp going into the blower and the air temp immediately after and do efficiency calculations. Or you could do the same for air going into and out of an intercooler.
that's neat....can I use the sender on oil? I assume that the senders are the same as the ones from an oil temp gauge.

summer's coming up.....I need to work on my car's cooling mods.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:04 AM

that's neat....can I use the sender on oil? I assume that the senders are the same as the ones from an oil temp gauge.

summer's coming up.....I need to work on my car's cooling mods.
The autometer catalog describes them as fast response thermocouples or something like that. I'm pretty sure they are different from the oil temp senders, which I believe are thermistors. Whether or not they can stand being immersed in hot oil, I don't know.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:44 AM

The autometer catalog describes them as fast response thermocouples or something like that. I'm pretty sure they are different from the oil temp senders, which I believe are thermistors. Whether or not they can stand being immersed in hot oil, I don't know.
thx stephen...

I need a guage like that. I am running out of space for gauges.