Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Mass air flow sensor

Old 05-27-2003, 07:25 PM

Mass air flow sensor

my 97se Maxima is having a few problems right now.
i got my car checked out and i was told that the Mass air flow sensor is messed up. im not sure if i have to go get a new one or a performance one because of my S/C. Did anyone have any problems after the S/c was installed? please reply with anything you guys may know. my car starts but it turns off if i dont step on the gas. please email me asap if you guys can or reply. Help!

Petershin_95@hotmail.com
Old 05-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

have you checked the connection first? If there's a leak, it will shut of iteslf. Does it have a check engine light on?

few known symptoms of blow MAF
.bad idle
.cant rev over 2400 rpm
.CEL
Old 05-27-2003, 11:17 PM

THANX FOR THE INFO. BUT WHEN YOU SAY REV PAST 2400 DO YOU MEAN WHILE ON NEUTRAL OR IN GEAR? CUZ WHILE IN GEAR, I CANT REV PAST THAT BUT SOMETIMES IT SEEMS TO ACTUALLY REV OK. ANY IDEA HOW MUCH A MAF MIGHT BE?
Old 05-28-2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Maximus_95
THANX FOR THE INFO. BUT WHEN YOU SAY REV PAST 2400 DO YOU MEAN WHILE ON NEUTRAL OR IN GEAR? CUZ WHILE IN GEAR, I CANT REV PAST THAT BUT SOMETIMES IT SEEMS TO ACTUALLY REV OK. ANY IDEA HOW MUCH A MAF MIGHT BE?
if the MAF went bad, it will take forever to reach that ~2400rpm and it will not go beyond that. that's just one of the symptoms.

you wont need the entier MAF tube....just a MAF sensor will do. That's 65 dollars for the sensor.

do you have any CEL? any leak?
Old 05-28-2003, 10:34 PM

ok, i am sure i dont have a leak, and i actually the cel does not show up but the service engine soon light came up? is that like the same thing? i was actually hitting over 2400 rpm no problem today but another thing i noticed is that when im slowing down on gear, my engine does not sound smooth, seems like the sound keeps going up and down up and down over and over again. kinda weird.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:13 PM

CEL = check engine light = service engien soon
get the code pulled at an Autozone.

are you saying that your idling is really bad?

ok, i am sure i dont have a leak, and i actually the cel does not show up but the service engine soon light came up? is that like the same thing? i was actually hitting over 2400 rpm no problem today but another thing i noticed is that when im slowing down on gear, my engine does not sound smooth, seems like the sound keeps going up and down up and down over and over again. kinda weird.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:25 PM

my idling keeps on going up and down between 900 and 750 rpm constant when im on a full stop on neutral. and when lets say im on 4th gear, i downshift to 3rd, it slows down smoothly but i can hear my engine noise like going up and down over and over again. any ideas?
Old 05-28-2003, 11:39 PM

my idling keeps on going up and down between 900 and 750 rpm constant when im on a full stop on neutral. and when lets say im on 4th gear, i downshift to 3rd, it slows down smoothly but i can hear my engine noise like going up and down over and over again. any ideas?
hmmmm....then it doesnt sound like a MAF problem to me if you can go all the way up to 4th.

I would have the code pulled first. other than that...you can check the spark plugs or look for vacuum leaks at this moment.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:59 PM

uhmm...that is kinda weird cuz i got it checked out at my friends shop, he ran a scan with his lil comp, the mass air flow sensor code keeps coming on. gosh, this is so confusing.
i also went to the nissan dealer today, asked for a mass air flow sensor, they said it costs $488.00
but is the maf sensor only also sold separately?
Old 05-29-2003, 07:53 AM

uhmm...that is kinda weird cuz i got it checked out at my friends shop, he ran a scan with his lil comp, the mass air flow sensor code keeps coming on. gosh, this is so confusing.
i also went to the nissan dealer today, asked for a mass air flow sensor, they said it costs $488.00
but is the maf sensor only also sold separately?

dont spend 488....$488 is for the entire MAF tube assembly. You only need the sensor. that's 60 dollars. contact Dave B, the parts guy, and he will hook you up.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:39 AM

sweet. thanx for all the help but i only have one more thing to say, this morning i was double checking my piping and i am leaking air, just found out. you know how there is a pipe attached to the intake manifold, then the mass airflow sensor piping and the the rest of the pipe where the blowoff vaulve is. in between the maf piping and the longer pipe, there is air actually pushing out of it. you think that may be the problem?
Old 05-29-2003, 08:47 AM

Yes..if there is a leak, that means your engine will suck air thru that leak than thru the MAF tube. so the MAF sensor measures less air and though the engine is not getting enough air (but the engine is acutally getting enough air). The MAF will follow its programmed procuedure to performance corrective actions for this problem.

on my car, after we dropped in the smaller pulley and I didnt tighten on of the rubber connector well. The thing popped off on freeway exit and the entire car just died. I could start up the car but if I didnt gas it, it will die. All the warning lights were on.

sweet. thanx for all the help but i only have one more thing to say, this morning i was double checking my piping and i am leaking air, just found out. you know how there is a pipe attached to the intake manifold, then the mass airflow sensor piping and the the rest of the pipe where the blowoff vaulve is. in between the maf piping and the longer pipe, there is air actually pushing out of it. you think that may be the problem?
Old 05-29-2003, 01:24 PM

even though the leak is past the maf sensor piping?

(intake manifold)====(Maf sensor pipe)(leakinghere)==========(blow off valve)

i hope this diagram helps.=====meaning pipe
Old 05-29-2003, 03:46 PM

yup...that was my situation.

when you have a leak after MAF....engine draw air from the leak. So the MAF sensor reads lower volume of air coming thru the MAF tubing.

you can duplicate the problem by disconnect the MAF to the charger pipe. I bet the car will shut off right the way.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:35 PM

Me too. That was the problem with me the second time. Also check see that the MAF is clean and not dirty or wet...that will give you a CODE ALSO!
Old 05-29-2003, 10:08 PM

ok cool. thanx a lot guys. so much help. funny because i took it to this place called finish line near my house, they said that where i was leaking from shouldn't really be a problem since it is after the maf sensor. so im kinda confused if you guys understood the diagram i drew, but i am believing you guys since you guys had experience. ill check the maf piping and see if its clean.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:08 PM

I had exact same problem on my 2k maxima after SCer. I heard from other pple with same maxima as me was keep telling me that my MAF is bad, I didn't really believe that cuz my car was fine b4 SCer, so I ordered my MAF through Dave Burnette and took it to this mechanic around me and he told me to start my car so I did and mechanic was examining my car and he was keep telling me that it's not the MAF but since I got my MAF, I told him well can u jus replace my MAF? that's all I want u guys to do and later on the mechanic felt SAULTY.....it was the MAF now my car runs like it's a new car.....Mine had the exact same symptom as u. My car used to jus stalls out when it's on Parked and sometimes while ur driving too.....but now it's all been solved.....
Old 05-30-2003, 10:01 PM

does Dave B have an email where i can reach him at?
Old 05-31-2003, 09:33 AM

does Dave B have an email where i can reach him at?
here you go~

http://forums.maxima.org/member.php?...nfo&userid=234
Old 05-31-2003, 11:38 AM

thanx for all the help guys.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:48 AM

You say that the leak is after the MAF sensor, but according to this diagram, your leak is BEFORE the MAF (according to the convention that the SC is before the MAF, which is before the intake manifold).

If you have a leak between the SC and the MAF sensor, like you show here, you will only leak boost pressure. It will not cause the MAF sensor to give an erroneous air flow reading. The people at your shop are right.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:43 AM

thanx stephen max. now im clear, but any chance you might know if i may need a whole maf sensor kit or only the maf sensor?
the kit costs $488 but just the maf sensor is $70 i heard.
symptoms i had before was my car just died out while i was driving, when trying to start it back up, it would die unless if i gave it some gas, but it was still strugguling to stay alive.
now im not having any problems. so weird, i have no idea whats going on. all that the shop told me was that it was throwing codes from the maf sensor. any ideas?
Old 06-02-2003, 09:54 AM

Is the MAF getting wet? The MAF does not like water.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:54 AM

thanx stephen max. now im clear, but any chance you might know if i may need a whole maf sensor kit or only the maf sensor?
the kit costs $488 but just the maf sensor is $70 i heard.
symptoms i had before was my car just died out while i was driving, when trying to start it back up, it would die unless if i gave it some gas, but it was still strugguling to stay alive.
now im not having any problems. so weird, i have no idea whats going on. all that the shop told me was that it was throwing codes from the maf sensor. any ideas?
I've never had MAF related problems, so I'm pretty clueless here, but if it were me, I'd just replace the $70 sensor first.

Make sure that the MAF isn't blown. The square cover is held in place only with sealant, so it is possible that boost pressure could have blown a leak at the sealant. I reinforced mine with some 4" hose clamps around the MAF tube to hold the cover tightly in place.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:21 AM

kool. thanx a lot.