Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

New turbo feed pipe routng?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 07:27 AM

New turbo feed pipe routng?

I am unhappy with my spoolup period and have decided to try to change my piping setup.

My plan would be to fab new exhaust manifolds. They wouldnt look that great (for asthetic purposes) but i think they would greatly decrease lag. The idea would be to make manifolds. The front bank would turn imediately left as the 3 cylinders blended together, they would then come up towards the hood a little and then u turn straight down, the rear back would come up as it blended together, go over the tranny and then down into the turbo.
Hopefully the turbo could remain high enough to utilize a gravity drain setup.

What do you guys think? It should take a heck of alot of piping length off, plus i could utilize slightly larger tubing..2.25??

Has this been thought of/tried yet?

-ctn
Old 05-30-2003, 07:33 AM

Re: New turbo feed pipe routng?

I think it would be a good idea. This is something I've been throwing around in my head for a while, no one's sure if there are any gains to be had, but I guess no one will really know until it's tried. At the shop, we've been taking tons of measurements, and will start fabrication soon. I'm cutting all the flanges this week, then tons of mandrel bends and welds. Good luck with your setup.

Originally posted by on_alert
I am unhappy with my spoolup period and have decided to try to change my piping setup.

My plan would be to fab new exhaust manifolds. They wouldnt look that great (for asthetic purposes) but i think they would greatly decrease lag. The idea would be to make manifolds. The front bank would turn imediately left as the 3 cylinders blended together, they would then come up towards the hood a little and then u turn straight down, the rear back would come up as it blended together, go over the tranny and then down into the turbo.

What do you guys think? It should take a heck of alot of piping length off, plus i could utilize slightly larger tubing..2.25??

-ctn
Old 05-30-2003, 08:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: New turbo feed pipe routng?

Our automatic pipes are done very differently from our manual ones. The pipes shoot straight forward and into the turbo which reduces path length considerably (probably half the distance). I didn't notice any real improvement in spool though. I'll have to look at the dyno graphs again to check.

utilizing larger piping will probably not improve the response much but may improve top end power especially if you take it all the way back to the manifold. If you use stock manifolds, it may help some but would be restricted some by the manifolds themselves. If you are using tubular welded manifolds be prepared for cracking unless your tubes from each cylinder are long enough that you can dissipate some heat before they join into one (heat treating will help but physics will win in the end), you may sacrifice some spool energy too since ideally you want nice hot gases to spool fast.

We have thought about doing this too but figured the best is to utilize the stock cast manifolds for reliability and ease of install. It would definitely be an interesting experiment though!

-ctn
Old 05-30-2003, 12:16 PM

well, if there are no imporvements in spool time, then i wont bother, but I still think i am going to redo my original feed/Y pipe and downpipe because I am losing substantial ground clearance with it (Nigel, however you maintained stock clearance, I aplaud you). If I am not going to notice distinct decrease in lag, then i will just utilize the stock manifolds, but since i already have a divided housing, i think i will just run 2 separate 2" pipes into each side of the housing. But my 3" down pipe is low too, and i was thinking of using oval tubing under the tranny and smooth blends, with a constant duct area.

*nigel, i tried sending you a PM but your Box is stuffed...*
Old 05-30-2003, 05:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hehe sorry! It's clear now. Please send me email. I sometimes have a tough time getting on the org cos it's so popular!
Theoretically, shorter pipes should help though but when we did the experiment and it didn't really help I did not bother to change my piping. The split housing thing is definitely one to try though. I am curious myself about that one.

well, if there are no imporvements in spool time, then i wont bother, but I still think i am going to redo my original feed/Y pipe and downpipe because I am losing substantial ground clearance with it (Nigel, however you maintained stock clearance, I aplaud you). If I am not going to notice distinct decrease in lag, then i will just utilize the stock manifolds, but since i already have a divided housing, i think i will just run 2 separate 2" pipes into each side of the housing. But my 3" down pipe is low too, and i was thinking of using oval tubing under the tranny and smooth blends, with a constant duct area.

*nigel, i tried sending you a PM but your Box is stuffed...*