Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

A Semi-Unpractical Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 09:14 PM
Bacon Lover

A Semi-Unpractical Question...

I know this isn't really practical (in any form, especially money-wise)...BUT...is it possible to twincharge (SC and Turbo) a 4th Gen? I've looked and I don't think there's room for it, but it's just a question I've been meaning to ask...

Now, don't go flaming me saying, "What a moron, it's pointless...it's too expensive, etc."...it's JUST A QUESTION, and I'd like an honest answer.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

whats the point if no one has exhausted the potential of either setup(SC or turbo) alone?? IMO its a waste of time, plain and simple.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:53 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally posted by DA-MAX
whats the point if no one has exhausted the potential of either setup(SC or turbo) alone?? IMO its a waste of time, plain and simple.
I wasn't asking for opinions on whether or not it was practical (read the post again, SLOWLY), I asked whether or not it was possible.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

okay so...possible, yes. and still....practical, no.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:24 AM

i think it is possible, if you look at my setup, there is plenty of room for the blower to go into the IC, but you would need some sort of air management system to get it to work properly
Old 08-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yes, it's very possible to do.

You would have to setup some sytem that disabled the s/c at a certain rpm i would think unless you were running low boost on each unit.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:52 PM

Its Possible

Its possible... Relocate the battery... theres plenty of room in the engine bay for the blower & the turbo to be put in.
It get tricky with the oil flow for starters. Maybe you can run like a twin nozzle from the oil pan so that it can feed both the TC and the SC or install a second oil pan perhaps!
THEN how to you get the turbo and the SC to get cold air... Twin IC setup or from what I understand you can run the turbo without the IC at all and use the IC for the SC.... Hmmmmm yes provocative!
Twin oil and boost gauges.... all hypothetical theories of course. I'm not sure if any of this is valid but from a guy who has had both an SC and a turbo... It seems like it would be possible. Worth it, probably not, practical nah, more trouble than pleasure I'm pretty sure but possible yes.

Deac
Old 08-08-2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by mtcookson
You would have to setup some sytem that disabled the s/c at a certain rpm i would think unless you were running low boost on each unit.
why do you have to disable the SC at certain rpm?

SC is belt driven....I dont think it is possible to disable it once you step on the pedal. unless you get a pressure release valve (greddy makes it for preventing turbo overboosting) and attach it onto the SC pipe.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:26 PM

i read somewhere that someone said it is best to disable the s/c when turbo boost kicks in. i'm sure you could run them both but you would have to keep boost low on each for high boost combined.

you could try finding an a/c compressor pulley that somehow fits on the s/c. that would pretty cool. you could scare the crap out of someone like that.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:51 PM

If it's a positive displacement blower, then you would want it disabled at higher RPM's simply becasue it is pretty inefficient at that point.

To disable it, you could always use some sort of clutch like on the AC compressor. I saw pics of an old MR2 with a twincharger setup, and the SC was disabled at higher RPM's.

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

why do you have to disable the SC at certain rpm?

SC is belt driven....I dont think it is possible to disable it once you step on the pedal. unless you get a pressure release valve (greddy makes it for preventing turbo overboosting) and attach it onto the SC pipe.