Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Suggestions for wiring boost controller, turbo timer, SAFC

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Suggestions for wiring boost controller, turbo timer, SAFC

My car has been down for about a month now because I was trying to wire the SAFC & the Boost Controller into the ECU....when I guess I got the power & ground mixed up or something and blew my ECU...or at least I think I blew it. The car wont start and when I took it to Nissan they cant get a code because the computer is not responding.
I need to know when to get ECU's for cheap and I also need to know what the best way it to wire all of them up and not have this same problem. How many people have already wired up boost controller and SAFC's to the Turbo or SC setup... I need help. Thanx.

Deac
Old 08-11-2003, 08:06 PM

I always insist on doing my own wiring. I don't trust anyone! For the ECU you can try www.car-part.com.

For wiring, I usually try to avoid the ECU, unless I need to get a GND right there. I will usually come off the ignition with a fuse in-line so I blow the fuse and not something else. Boost controller, I tap right in at the ignition with a fused +. All the gauges are done the same way.

Have fun!
Old 08-11-2003, 10:57 PM

Re: Suggestions for wiring boost controller, turbo timer, SAFC

Originally posted by Deac
My car has been down for about a month now because I was trying to wire the SAFC & the Boost Controller into the ECU....when I guess I got the power & ground mixed up or something and blew my ECU...or at least I think I blew it. The car wont start and when I took it to Nissan they cant get a code because the computer is not responding.
I need to know when to get ECU's for cheap and I also need to know what the best way it to wire all of them up and not have this same problem. How many people have already wired up boost controller and SAFC's to the Turbo or SC setup... I need help. Thanx.

Deac
the ECU has two 10A fuses in the engine compartment on the driver's side. you probably blew one of them.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:17 PM

???

Originally posted by turbo97SE
I always insist on doing my own wiring. I don't trust anyone! For the ECU you can try www.car-part.com.

For wiring, I usually try to avoid the ECU, unless I need to get a GND right there. I will usually come off the ignition with a fuse in-line so I blow the fuse and not something else. Boost controller, I tap right in at the ignition with a fused +. All the gauges are done the same way.

Have fun!

Nig,

I was under the impressiohn that ALL the Apexi stuff had to be wired into the ECU? If it dos'nt, If you have a write-up or any helpful suggestions that would help I would need them ASAP!!!
I plan on wiring the Apexi S-AFC, Boost Controller & Turbo Timer. I also have an Apexi RSM. Which of these HAVE to be wired to the ECU and which of them can be wired another way outside of the ECU?
I'll check the fuses too! Thanx...

Deac
Old 08-12-2003, 02:20 PM

Re: ???

Nig,

I was under the impressiohn that ALL the Apexi stuff had to be wired into the ECU? If it dos'nt, If you have a write-up or any helpful suggestions that would help I would need them ASAP!!!
I plan on wiring the Apexi S-AFC, Boost Controller & Turbo Timer. I also have an Apexi RSM. Which of these HAVE to be wired to the ECU and which of them can be wired another way outside of the ECU?

Deac
s-afc and rsm are wired to the ECU. boost controller and turbo timer are not ecu dependent.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:46 PM

Re: ???

Deac

Anything controlling ignition, fuel etc does have to be connected to ECU, this is correct. I guess my main point is, stuff like boost controller, gauges etc that do not need to be, should not be connected there. If you have an RSM etc that monitor engine funtions then that also needs to be connected there.

I think I have S-AFC wiring diag for 1997-1998 somewhere.. If you give me your ECU diagram and definitions pages (fax, email whatever) I can give you the pinouts you need.

For turbo timer, should be a piece of cake unless you have a fancier one that variable timing. Just need to watch for IGN1 and IGN2. If you connect to one and not the other, when you remove the key some of your stuff in your car will shut down, like A/C will quit etc ... not a big deal. If you are **** like me, you'd like to do it right .

For boost controller and other electronics, I come off the ignition, just cos it's closest and has nice thick wiring to handle any additional current draw. The electronics you put on are not likely to draw much anyway but I like to put stuff there. Try to avoid your stereo wires for power and GND. You may (or may not) get noise injected both ways (to stereo and to your gauges). one more thing with the boost controller, I was talking to Erik on the phone about his boost controller and I mentioned that I had mine set to external wastegate, but initially was set to internal and he went "doh!". For his it was OK, cos it opened the wastegate at idle. For mine it held the wastegate closed past when it was supposed to open which caused overboost (Very BAD!). So be careful here, the boost controllers operate wastegates in different ways, his symptoms didn't match mine, so I didn't get it right away.

When installing EGT probes be careful of hot and rotating bodies. (Hot exhaust manifold and rotating half shafts), they can chew things up pretty bad! Zip tie everything securely. Make sure you use the bright yellow zipties .

Anyone got a good place to go through the firewall? I just drilled additional holes by the existing firewall holes that come through to the driver's side fender, put rubber grommets and filled any gaps with silicone gasket. I also ran additional wires to the enginebay cos it's such a pain to add wires later!

Can't think of anything else right now.

Nig,

Deac