Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Time for new injectors...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 09:54 AM

Time for new injectors...

Since the installation of my 3.00" pulley, I've been pondering upgrading my fuel injectors, since I'm probably pushing 80-90+ psi of fuel through them. Since it will probably be easier to buy a device to control the injectors, and I don't want to plunk down a big pile of money on something that I'll end up tuning over anyway (ie, JWT ECU), I've decided to try the Greddy eManage. Assuming the eManage wires up fine, and works with the injectors, Is there anything else I should consider along with this that is fuel related?

Adjustable FPR, Injector sizes? (330cc enough to run 350fwhp?) ..
Old 08-12-2003, 10:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

another thinng you can get is an adjustable FMU. Your goal is to supply sufficient fuel to the engine without adding too much pressure to the injectors (most of the injectors are unstable after 65psi). Greddy emanage or apexi S-AFC are piggy-back type fuel management unit, they are not going to increase to decrease the fuel pressure. If you wanna get those, I would recommend Apexi's S-AFC because ppl on .org have more experience with it.

adjustable FPR will lower your base fuel pressure a little, so you have will have more room to raise the fuel pressure. adjustable FMU can lower your peak pressure and you can tune your car with that. But nothing beats using larger injectors with lower ratio FMU. You will have a lot more room to increase your boost without maxing out your injectors.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

from what I've read Emanage only controls injecotors up to a 33% increase in CCs so its not really all it cracked up to be! from what I gathered its made for "modifying" stock injectors, not so much to run bigger CC ones, AFC has more versatility than that as far as fuel control.

and why does everyone dog JWT's setup?? there are Z guys pushing 500 on the 450 program with very little need for any "side tuning"...people misubderstand that even though its a set program there is very little need to "tune over" it.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
and why does everyone dog JWT's setup?? there are Z guys pushing 500 on the 450 program with very little need for any "side tuning"...people misubderstand that even though its a set program there is very little need to "tune over" it.
For some reason people seem to want to get the JWT ECU then continue to add things in the future. IMHO you'd be better off getting everything together that you want (larger injectors, Z MAF, etc.), and then tell Jim what you want the ECU programmed for. JWT can program for almost anything, and if you really want to fine tune just add a SAFC on top of that.
-hype
Old 08-12-2003, 01:04 PM

I'll take that into consideration for the eManage controlling the injectors. I was under the impression you could throw any injectors in there and it would do the rest, but considering the documentation on it sucks, and nobody here has tested it yet, I'll take you guys's word for it. Probably better to expect it to not work, than to think it's gods gift to the maxima.

As for JWT, did you read the post on them from Nigel (I think it was him -- either way it was pretty bad customer review)? After reading something like that, I'd be hard pressed to give them $600 knowing that I'll need to spend a pile more on injectors and an AFC. If I do decide to shell out the cash and go the JWT route, I will definately be getting the injectors / MAF together prior to sending it off.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by ereet
As for JWT, did you read the post on them from Nigel (I think it was him -- either way it was pretty bad customer review)?
I think it was Turbo95max, yeah they really treated him like crap from what i read and that sucks, but IMO I couldn't let one bad review offset countless other good reviews and track/dyno results?? but thats up to you. my friend has had his ECU sent to JWT twice (last year for 370ccs and a few weeks ago to upgrade to the Z32 MAF) and had not one prob. but the choice is all yours
Old 08-12-2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
from what I've read Emanage only controls injecotors up to a 33% increase
for doubters, straight from greddy's website "Basic functions will allow the user to slightly alter factory injector duty-cycle(± 20% at 5 preset RPM points), by intercepting and altering airflow or MAP sensor signals.".. now I am not sure if there is a non-basic function of reprogramming for larger injectors or something, but there is what i read.

also, JWT does seem to treat boosted maximas like "whats the point" from my knowledge and experience.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by guestNX

also, JWT does seem to treat boosted maximas like "whats the point" from my knowledge and experience.
they've been cool with my buddys project on his 92GXE...maybe its a VG thing, the VQ just doesn't get any love!
Old 08-12-2003, 04:47 PM

E-manage will do 50% larger. So 370s are no problem. It has a special setting for this. JWT will rais the rev limiter EM will not. I am giving the JWT ecu a whirl, if I dont like my results I will ad EM to it.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:57 PM
VQ Wizard

The SAFC-II will do 50% and has 12 points
Old 08-12-2003, 07:46 PM

I wasn't aware until now that a S-AFC2 could control new injectors. It doesn't seem to be able to, however, since it modifies the air flow sensor's reading, I'm assuming that it would run in some way or another. Interesting ... Thanks.

Yeah, it wasn't Nigel who had the problem with JWT, my bad .. I've dealt with JWT before and they treated me well, but I didn't end up spending any money on them. As I said, after hearing about treatment like that, I'd definately think twice before shelling out any dough to them. As for raising the rev limiter, I'm surprised there isn't something other than JWT for this, however, I'm not particularly interested in raising it at this time, so for the time being, the eManage is starting to sound fairly good.

The mechanics I dropped the car off to today to diagnose my electrical problem heard I was looking at a eManage and didn't have much kind things to say. Apparently they think they're a ***** to tune. Guess I'm going to have to hunt around for someone who's used em many times before
Old 08-12-2003, 07:55 PM
VQ Wizard

I do not like dealing with JWT either. Customers are nothing but idiots and burdons to them. They assume they're right 100% of the time. I would love to see another company come along and steal all of the Nissan business with better customer service and a less expensive product.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I wasn't aware until now that a S-AFC2 could control new injectors. It doesn't seem to be able to, however, since it modifies the air flow sensor's reading, I'm assuming that it would run in some way or another. Interesting ...
thats one of its main purposes of the AFC, to control bigger injectors! on the Hondas I've worked on, twice we've used the AFC to control 450cc DSM injectors. so far the two cars I've seen this done on are running 8-10psi no probs. a little boggy when you let off, but pretty good for street tuning--> http://www.thedropshop.tv/vafc.htm

the emanage is still in Beta testing so I heard...but that could just be a rumor IMO the AFC still owns it as far as injector control...other than being able to link up with the E01 controller and all that, which is just extra "bling" to me.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:13 AM

Re: Time for new injectors...

Adjustable FPR, Injector sizes? (330cc enough to run 350fwhp?) ..
If you want to limit duty cycle to 80%, six 330cc/min injectors are only going to give you about 300 crank hp. To get to 350 fwhp you are either going to have to use e-manage or safc to increase your duty cycle (assuming the Maxima ecu isn't programmed to go above 80%, which is something I'd like to know but haven't been able to find out) or you can increase fuel pressure with a fmu.

ref: http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm
Old 08-13-2003, 08:13 AM

90-95% DS is no problem.

I feel 555cc is the best option around with JWT ECU because the 370'ds fall short of the potential of really tweeked SC/TC set ups.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
90-95% DS is no problem.

I feel 555cc is the best option around with JWT ECU because the 370'ds fall short of the potential of really tweeked SC/TC set ups.
Wish I hadn't already bought 370's. Oh well, I'll just put 555's down on my phase III to-do list, along with the tc.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:31 AM

Thanks Mardi, I might have some questions for you later regarding your eculess injector setup. I'll definately be considering the 555's thanks to Stephens message. There's definately no point in switching to high end injectors if I'm going to up the boost a little and then have to switch again. Much appreciated (although my transmission hates you guys for the information you've given me hehehe)
Old 08-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

just wanted to add some info I ran across on the E-manage....apparently it can work on injectors up to 150% cc increse(like what Matt said)...hmmmmm, I'm considering this if my AFC hack doesn't work out. but good luck to you Maxima guys on wiring it in.

http://www.2gnt.com/nuke/modules.php...wcontent&id=34
http://www.superstreetonline.com/techarticles/87158/
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=463916
http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/EmanageFAQ.htm