Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Is my blower dying? Unusual boosting, and seeing only 9psi from 3.125/CAI

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 11:46 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Is my blower dying? Unusual boosting, and seeing only 9psi from 3.125/CAI

I had a friend of mine monitor my boost gauge as I went WOT and redlined several times in random gears. Each time I would be at 4-5psi until about 5000rpm to where it would shoot to 9psi. Heres the thing though...even though my blower is a V1, i'm running a 3.125 and a cold air intake. This usually yeilds people at least 10psi. I have yet to hit 10psi. My blower still works and sounds fine, but could it possibly be slowly wearing down internally? It's got ~70,000 miles on it with small pullies.

I don't know what im gonna do. My boost guy's work consists 99.9% of turbos, and he used to tell me he really wanted to build me one. If he can build me a custom setup for dirt cheap, I may do that and just sell off the S/C and accessories. The dark side beckins. I am a torque dreamer...even though I get plenty above 4500rpm.

So what do you guys think? I think my blower is on its way out. I get about 2-3psi between 2800-3300rpm, so I think its boosting pretty normally. At cruising speeds on the highway it sure would be fun to have ~7psi to mess around with in fifth gear vs. 2-3psi. I don't know what to do....

Advice?

And no lip from BaGs or you other Turbo junkies
Old 09-15-2003, 11:59 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

I don't think the V1 was supposed to make 10+ psi with the 3.12"...
Old 09-15-2003, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chunger
I don't think the V1 was supposed to make 10+ psi with the 3.12"...

Well JAY25 was seeing what, 11psi with a 3.25/CAI on his V2? With a CAI and a smaller pulley, 3.125, you would think I could get to the 10psi mark, at least once in a while.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hmmm...the boost should increase with the rpm. I usually see it climb when rpm increase. have you checked your BOV and make sure it is not leaking?

I am only getting 10psi out of my 2.87.....I know my BOV is leaking out some boost...
Old 09-15-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by [maxi-overdose]
hmmm...the boost should increase with the rpm. I usually see it climb when rpm increase. have you checked your BOV and make sure it is not leaking?

I am only getting 10psi out of my 2.87.....I know my BOV is leaking out some boost...

Well the weird thing was we saw the boost spike a bit, almost like a turbocharger. The BOV is tight as can be and is functioning perfectly.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Craig Mack
Well the weird thing was we saw the boost spike a bit, almost like a turbocharger. The BOV is tight as can be and is functioning perfectly.

hmmmm....seems it is not packing air after 5psi and all the sudden it kicks 9psi into your engine. that's strange.

when I had a vacuum leak to the BOV (Greddy), it is not firing at all and when I floored it at 3 year, it will stay in 6psi for a while and then start to climb up to 8psi. what BOV do you have? It should leak out a little bit of air when you close the throttle plate at low rpm.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:25 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Belt slipping through the mid-RPM range maybe?
Old 09-15-2003, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ejj
Belt slipping through the mid-RPM range maybe?

I highly doubt it. I have a Dayco Poly Cog belt, thats really thick. It has worked flawlessly...
Old 09-15-2003, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by [maxi-overdose]
hmmmm....seems it is not packing air after 5psi and all the sudden it kicks 9psi into your engine. that's strange.

when I had a vacuum leak to the BOV (Greddy), it is not firing at all and when I floored it at 3 year, it will stay in 6psi for a while and then start to climb up to 8psi. what BOV do you have? It should leak out a little bit of air when you close the throttle plate at low rpm.
I have the old Blitz with the Horn, the one thats really loud. I had a problem with it seizing up about a month ago, but I took it apart, lubed it up with WD-40 and it's worked perfectly ever since.

What do you mean by leak out air at low RPM? Are you talkin about like when cruisin and lettin off the gas, it releases air? If so, yes I have that. It starts around 2000rpm, and I can hear the BOV releasing air.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:44 PM
Blu
the tits

I highly doubt it. I have a Dayco Poly Cog belt, thats really thick. It has worked flawlessly...

If thats the belt Im thinking of its the biggest POS out there. Does it have ribs flowing with the belt and across?
Old 09-15-2003, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
If thats the belt Im thinking of its the biggest POS out there. Does it have ribs flowing with the belt and across?
No ribs, more like little individual rectangular blocks.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Blu
the tits

No ribs, more like little individual rectangular blocks.

well thats what I meant by ribs flowing both ways. Get rid of that POS belt ASAP and get something with only ribs flowing with the belt...One of my friends Nick with a YS trim blower on his stang lost like 3 psi from the normal 12 from switching too this brand/type of belt b/c he needed a replacement asap and thats all that was available.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
well thats what I meant by ribs flowing both ways. Get rid of that POS belt ASAP and get something with only ribs flowing with the belt...One of my friends Nick with a YS trim blower on his stang lost like 3 psi from the normal 12 from switching too this brand/type of belt b/c he needed a replacement asap and thats all that was available.
Damn! Well, my first belt was a POS paper thin discount auto parts belt, and shredded a couple weeks after I went to a 3.125. With that belt I wasn't seeing more than 10psi either. But All I now is it's been a long time with this belt, and it's been holding up perfectly. I was under the impression that a Dayco Poly Cog was the next best thing to a Good year Gatorback!
Old 09-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Blu
the tits

Damn! Well, my first belt was a POS paper thin discount auto parts belt, and shredded a couple weeks after I went to a 3.125. With that belt I wasn't seeing more than 10psi either. But All I now is it's been a long time with this belt, and it's been holding up perfectly. I was under the impression that a Dayco Poly Cog was the next best thing to a Good year Gatorback!
Well Im just letting you know from peoples past experiences with that belt. I had it on my UDP for a while and had nothing but problems.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:19 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Dunno about their quality but my thinking is...

If it has additional "cuts" in it... that means all the less surface area to drive the already smaller pulleys... possible slipping. That's why I stuck with the Gates... I haven't had any problems with my V2 with the 3.12"
Old 09-15-2003, 03:26 PM

I have the old Blitz with the Horn, the one thats really loud. I had a problem with it seizing up about a month ago, but I took it apart, lubed it up with WD-40 and it's worked perfectly ever since.

What do you mean by leak out air at low RPM? Are you talkin about like when cruisin and lettin off the gas, it releases air? If so, yes I have that. It starts around 2000rpm, and I can hear the BOV releasing air.
ic...it should release air at all rpm range, regardless your are in boost or not. mine wasnt and turned out that there's no vacuum to the BOV and that's why it doesnt know when to open.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:50 PM

Its weird...I just took my bro to soccer practice, and the car felt fine again. Thats probubly in my head though.

I hope its just not me "getting used" to the power. I kinda feel bad for thinking about switching to a Turbo, I feel like i've been cheating on my SC and its heart is broken. And I know if I get rid of her I will miss her beautiful voice at idle, and the smooth yet powerfull acceleration beyond 4 grand. I need to get out more.