Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

My Roots dream is becoming a reality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003 | 01:54 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

[QUOTE=Craig Mack] ...the blower is going to sit where the battery was, with the nosedrive sticking in front of the block. QUOTE]

Glad to hear that its coming together for you!

I'm having a hard time picturing how the blower sits but some preliminary pics would help myself and the rest of us out!
Old 10-31-2003 | 03:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how can the belt be ran the opposite way? the only way to do that would be to run the engine backwards. (i.e. spinning counterclockwise instead of clockwise when looking at the crank pulley) i must not be understanding this correctly...

oh well, definately get some pictures up when it's finished... or even now
Old 11-01-2003 | 12:26 PM

Good stuff Craig, I hope everything turns out well and your car becomes a low end monster. Get some pics up soon
Old 11-02-2003 | 01:13 AM
Still kickin'

so how's the project coming, any pics of the build-up?
Old 11-02-2003 | 02:42 AM

I think Craig is not putting up pics until the whole setup is finished.
Old 11-02-2003 | 10:50 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

The setup is complete (I haven't seen it), but we still need oil for the supercharger, and all the local GM service departments are closed. The oil is some special animal based oil and while engine oil would probably suffice, it's not worth the risk. So looks like monday afternoon it is. F#ck.
Old 11-02-2003 | 03:14 PM

About damn time man, ive been reading the thread but never replyed so I dont get 200 emails (75% which are flames) Cant wait to see how this turned out...
Old 11-02-2003 | 04:51 PM
Blu
the tits

resubscribing to see the pics...
Old 11-02-2003 | 05:17 PM

I hope I can get up there in time to paint the hoses before he snaps picks...becuase he is painting the piping red...so it would look ghetto with my other blue engine accents...but I want to convert to red all around so...

Hopefully we can find a local dealership who sells the oil. We can use the oil from the M112 too which means we can call Ford dealerships asking for Cobra oil as well, i'm sure we'll find something....I'm soo stoked.
Old 11-02-2003 | 05:22 PM

I still think your nuts for doing this, but still very curious to see how the M90 will act on a DOHC motor, I personally dont think you're going to lose much top end at all. We shall soon see, get it dyno'd asap man.
Old 11-02-2003 | 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
I still think your nuts for doing this, but still very curious to see how the M90 will act on a DOHC motor, I personally dont think you're going to lose much top end at all. We shall soon see, get it dyno'd asap man.
Why don't you think i'll lose much top end? The VQ is a high revver compared to the 3800 series GM, I don't see why I wouldn't lose top end vs. the V1. What does the motor have to do with how the blower will react anyways?

Full power and tons of torque fully off idle is very sexy though.
Old 11-02-2003 | 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Craig Mack
Why don't you think i'll lose much top end? The VQ is a high revver compared to the 3800 series GM, I don't see why I wouldn't lose top end vs. the V1.

Full power and tons of torque fully off idle is very sexy though.
I dont really have a logical explination behind it to be quite honest I know for a fact the GTP's run out of breath once they are in 3rd very badly to be blunt. Im not 100% but im thinking the limitation they suffer is due to the old school 2 valve/cyl setup. If this is slapped onto the 3.0 I think the DOHC setup will benafit quite a bit more then a 3.8 would. If im wrong then so be & call be crazy but regardless your powerband should still be impressive right off the line up to atleast 5.5K so I doubt your going to be disappointed but like I said we shall soon see. Then again...I might just be crazy
Old 11-02-2003 | 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
I dont really have a logical explination behind it to be quite honest I know for a fact the GTP's run out of breath once they are in 3rd very badly to be blunt. Im not 100% but im thinking the limitation they suffer is due to the old school 2 valve/cyl setup. If this is slapped onto the 3.0 I think the DOHC setup will benafit quite a bit more then a 3.8 would. If im wrong then so be & call be crazy but regardless your powerband should still be impressive right off the line up to atleast 5.5K so I doubt your going to be disappointed but like I said we shall soon see. Then again...I might just be crazy

Well I mean, shouldn't the crank pulley and boost pulley be the only things that have any effect on the blower? Isn't 3000rpm still 3000rpm and 5000rpm still 5000rpm? Or is 5000rpm on my VQ going to effect the blower differently then 5000rpm on the Dinasaur 3800?
Old 11-02-2003 | 06:02 PM

your dead on about them running out of steam in 3rd i ran my friends stock 97 gtp a couple of times on the highway, wed do like 40 and 60 punches and hed alway gain about a car right away but after 95 which is when his 3rd comes in it was all over i would pull like a **** and by 125 id have 5 to 7 cars on him and then his governer would hit
Old 11-02-2003 | 06:21 PM

Well I mean, shouldn't the crank pulley and boost pulley be the only things that have any effect on the blower? Isn't 3000rpm still 3000rpm and 5000rpm still 5000rpm? Or is 5000rpm on my VQ going to effect the blower differently then 5000rpm on the Dinasaur 3800?

The Rpms are still the same, but the motors are diff size and use diff amounts of air/fuel to make power. Your low end might actually be stronger then you expect it to be considering the M90 is blowing enough air at 2K for the 3.8 in a 3.0 so your S/C guy might need to spend a bit of time tuning it to keep it from running lean in the low-mid rpm range.

The Pontiac motor does have .8L more, but the VQ still have DOHC which obviously means its going to use the extra air more efficiently. Now I dont know how much air the M90 is capable of pushing but since the 3.0 is smaller (but revs higher) the amount of air being used might just balance out. I still dont know what limits the GTP motor. Defintely there is a bottle neck somewere, if the bottle neck occurs in the Cyl heads while the blower is capble of pushin more then you shouldnt really have a problem once again considering the VQ is DOHC. If the blower is were the bottle neck occur...then you will have what is called Buyers remorse I personally think the bottle neck occures in the heads of the 3.8 and you should be just fine.

This should be VERY interesting, I cant wait man. Best of luck with the setup
Old 11-02-2003 | 06:37 PM

props for trying this, cant wait to see how it turns out
Old 11-02-2003 | 07:10 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Pushrods, 2V heads, improper gearing...that pretty much sums up a stock 3.8L GM V6, and why it isn't that great after 1/8th mile...
Old 11-03-2003 | 10:17 AM
SLOW

Dude this is pretty sweet what you've done here. I didn't read all 78 pages of this thread so how much did this end up costing you, parts and labor, all said and done.

As for positive displacement blowers owning all we shall see
Old 11-03-2003 | 10:23 AM

$2.0k-$2.5k
Old 11-03-2003 | 05:36 PM

Old 11-03-2003 | 07:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Old 11-03-2003 | 07:49 PM

MOTHER FUCl<ER

&*#)$*!*)!*$)!*$)($)(!$*)!($*

EVERYTHING is done. He started up the motor and guess what? We get this NASTY high pitched grinding nose from the blower. It sounded like a table fork in a fan. The car was immediently shut off, then restart w/o the blower, and the motor is fine. Then once again started up with the blower engaged and the grinding came back. WTF!? When we took it apart (the helixs) they looked perfect. We didnt disect the nosedrive though. We put in the GTP specific oil from the dealership.

*#)*!$)*%)#!&)!&%*!)%*)!%()*)!(

And the guy who sold it to me SWEARS that it was working perfect when he took it off his car. Any ideas??? Tommorow Tom is going to work all day disecting the f#cking blower to see whats wrong with it.

I'm soo f#cking p!ssed....this whole thing has dragged out WAAAY longer then anticipated, and we got a potentially f#cked up blower on top of it. Man I hope it was an error on install on Tom's part or something.
Old 11-03-2003 | 07:54 PM

at least those are a dime a dozen so if its messed up you could get another cheaply
Old 11-03-2003 | 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
at least those are a dime a dozen so if its messed up you could get another cheaply
It's the principle of the matter....and $450 is not just chump change either.
Old 11-03-2003 | 08:00 PM

sorry to hear that...was looking forward to hearing about it
Old 11-03-2003 | 08:14 PM

ill keep the bullsh*t flag at half mast for this one.. still waiting.
Old 11-04-2003 | 04:24 AM

You have no pics of any of this?????
Sadler... I'm waitin' with you.
Old 11-04-2003 | 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by thebigsadler
ill keep the bullsh*t flag at half mast for this one.. still waiting.
Well my God, if I don't impress you then my life is OVER man! I gotta get pics and a write up ASAP just to prove myself to you! If I don't, then you might not believe that this is actually happening! And I can't live with myself if your thinking that. If you and Cullen could please STFU and let me handle my business i'd appriciate it....as for everyone else, I appriciate the way you are replying, and i'll come through, hopefully my nosedrive isn't bad.

If it wasn't for this nasty problem that arose out of no where, I would already be driving it.
Old 11-04-2003 | 07:12 AM

Maybe the way you installed the blower, doesn't allow the oil to pass through and lubricate correctly thus having metal grinding sounds?
Old 11-04-2003 | 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 96shogunmax
sorry to hear that...was looking forward to hearing about it
yeh...hopefully its an error on Tom's part and not something internal with the blower. The guy who sold it to me says he is telling the truth. He said he blew a rod that got shoved into the lower part of the motor when he was driving normally around 60mph, but the heads and upper part of the engine, including the supercharger, were still in perfect working order.
Old 11-04-2003 | 07:21 AM

EVERYTHING is done. He started up the motor and guess what? We get this NASTY high pitched grinding nose from the blower. It sounded like a table fork in a fan. The car was immediently shut off, then restart w/o the blower, and the motor is fine. Then once again started up with the blower engaged and the grinding came back. WTF!? When we took it apart (the helixs) they looked perfect. We didnt disect the nosedrive though. We put in the GTP specific oil from the dealership.
If you could post some pictures it would help us to help diagnose the problem. The nosedrive is pretty long, right? I'm wondering if belt tension is causing enough lateral deflection of the nosedrive that a bearing in the blower is getting bound up with excessive preload. This could only be a possibility if the nosedrive is not supported at the pulley, though.

PS, don't let the flag wavers get to you. I don't know what their problem is.
Old 11-04-2003 | 08:15 AM
living out of a maxima...

does the blower have any butterfly valves, possibly with loose screws?
Old 11-04-2003 | 09:51 AM

i have a question referring to people saying the eaton won't supply enough air higher up in the rpm range. aren't the jackson racing superchargers for hondas designed directly off of eaton superchargers? hondas rev really high and those superchargers seem to give power all of the way up. why wouldn't this one do the same? is it because of size or something? i've not studied roots type superchargers that much so know near nothing about them.
Old 11-04-2003 | 10:41 AM

I hope you get everything fixed, I really want to see how this goes.
Old 11-04-2003 | 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
i have a question referring to people saying the eaton won't supply enough air higher up in the rpm range. aren't the jackson racing superchargers for hondas designed directly off of eaton superchargers? hondas rev really high and those superchargers seem to give power all of the way up. why wouldn't this one do the same? is it because of size or something? i've not studied roots type superchargers that much so know near nothing about them.

This is from Superchargersonline.com

Advantages & Disadvantages
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The roots type supercharger is known for its ability to produce large amounts of boost while spinning at very low speeds. On an automotive application, a roots type supercharger can often make it's full (peak) boost by 2000 engine rpm. This characteristic has contributed to its success and popularity on the top fuel racing circuit and has made it ideal for use on smaller 4 and 6 cylinder engines that traditionally struggle in the lower half of the rpm range (and is why Jackson Racing uses a roots type Eaton compressor). Another advantageous characteristic of the roots type supercharger is its simplicity of design. The roots type supercharger has very few moving parts and spins at low rpms, making it one of the more reliable and durable aupercharger designs.

The big disadvantage to the roots type supercharger is its thermal inefficiency - or its nature to produce high discharge temperatures - which robs power from the engine. With a roots type supercharger, an intercooler is almost always a necessity to bring the air charge temperatures down to an acceptable level. This poor thermal efficiency can be attributed to the fact that it has no internal compression (compression is done after the air leaves the discharge port). Additional heat is created by compressed (hot) air that leaks backwards past the rotors and heats up the temperature of the inlet charge.

Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The roots type supercharger is the oldest type of supercharger and still has its place in the automotive world on dragsters, smaller engines, and trucks - all of which are need power in the bottom half of the rpm range. Most major manufacturers have steered away from roots type superchargers likely because they create so much heat, even at low levels of boost. Like the screw-type supercharger, it is also difficult to create very high levels of boost with a roots type supercharger. Nonetheless, several manufacturers (Magnuson/MagnaCharger, Saleen, Allen,, Jackson - all use an Eaton roots compressor) have been able to design automotive supercharger systems that make good use of the roots type compressor's advantages while overcoming its shortcomings. If you do purchase a roots-type supercharger, expect incredible power gains right off of idle. You can also be assured that you will have one of the most simple and dependable superchargers available, which is why automobile manufacturers (GM, Ford, Mercedes) generally choose roots compressors for OE applications. An intercooler will most likely be necessary at boost levels above 6psi with a roots supercharger.
Old 11-04-2003 | 10:55 AM

ahh, cool. learned a bunch of stuff just now. thanks!
Old 11-04-2003 | 12:40 PM

for all the subscribers:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....57#post2460257