Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

radiator question

Well I trying to get my plans drawn out for my turbo project. I have a couple of questions about the radiator. I want to put the turbo in front of the front manifolds. I know I will have to remove one of the fans but I wanted to get a thin fan. Does anybody know how many CFM our fans pull? I want to get a slim fan as a replacement. Also I wondering if it would be alright to move the A/C condenser and the radiator , and that little coil thing in the front of the A/C condense foward. I would buy new brackets and have them welded on. I think I could make about 2 to 2 1/2 inch more room for the turbo which is alot in that little space. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by spanishrice
Well I trying to get my plans drawn out for my turbo project. I have a couple of questions about the radiator. I want to put the turbo in front of the front manifolds. I know I will have to remove one of the fans but I wanted to get a thin fan. Does anybody know how many CFM our fans pull? I want to get a slim fan as a replacement. Also I wondering if it would be alright to move the A/C condenser and the radiator , and that little coil thing in the front of the A/C condense foward. I would buy new brackets and have them welded on. I think I could make about 2 to 2 1/2 inch more room for the turbo which is alot in that little space. Thanks.
Anybody... :attention
Old 12-05-2003, 09:59 PM

Just get the a 12" Hayden or something similar. It flows 900 cfm, I think. You can mount it as a pusher setup since you are looking for more clearance. It's only like $60. Or if you've got money to work with, get a FAL or something like that, they're shrouded so they are more efficient and pull more airflow.

There is no reason you can't move the radiator, condensor, and cooler, but I don't think there is that much room up there to do it. As long as you made sure the hard lines were extended or moved as needed. But I would want to make double sure that the new brackets are done well. You may run into clearance issues with the bumper support, the condensor isn't that far behind it. Also, keep in mind that you will lose clearance for your IC if you do this.

Old 12-06-2003, 05:54 AM

Ya I just didn't want my car to overheat. I was looking at the double Fal spans they flow like 2800 CFM. I just wasn't sure how many our cars flow because ours are pretty thick.

I was unsure on the pusher and puller part of radiator fans. Puller pulls air to remove heat from radiator? Pusher pushes air to cool down engine?
Old 12-06-2003, 08:18 AM

I'm pretty sure those FAL's will outflow the stock ones. The stock ones are thick because of the shroud. On other cars, I know the FAL's outflow the stock fans, so it shouldn't be any different on a Maxima.

A puller fan is more efficient than a pusher fan. Puller fans do pull air through the radiator and obviously pushers push air through the radiator. Neither one really cools the engine that much. A puller fan is probably blowing more air onto the block than a pusher since it is closer. Remember, if you mount a pusher fan, it has to be mounted on the AC condensor and push air through both the condensor and radiator, not much air is going to get to the block.

Ya I just didn't want my car to overheat. I was looking at the double Fal spans they flow like 2800 CFM. I just wasn't sure how many our cars flow because ours are pretty thick.

I was unsure on the pusher and puller part of radiator fans. Puller pulls air to remove heat from radiator? Pusher pushes air to cool down engine?
Old 12-06-2003, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
I'm pretty sure those FAL's will outflow the stock ones. The stock ones are thick because of the shroud. On other cars, I know the FAL's outflow the stock fans, so it shouldn't be any different on a Maxima.

A puller fan is more efficient than a pusher fan. Puller fans do pull air through the radiator and obviously pushers push air through the radiator. Neither one really cools the engine that much. A puller fan is probably blowing more air onto the block than a pusher since it is closer. Remember, if you mount a pusher fan, it has to be mounted on the AC condensor and push air through both the condensor and radiator, not much air is going to get to the block.
From what I have seen on Baggs/dixits car, the pusher fans are not even ideal for our cars. If you get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic expect for that temp needle to shoot str8t up. Our stock puller fans do a great job at cooling our engines. I seen my EGTs drop 100 degrees celsius every 3-6 mins when the fans kick in. So the puller fans do their job. May not be alot but they surely do help keep temps down.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:26 PM

Ya I was going to get one with a thermostat so when it gets to a certain temperature the kick in.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:37 AM

Jay25 is 100% right on that. I got two nice pusher fans doing about 1400cfm a piece and still that doesnt cut it in bumper to bumper traffic when the outside temp is above 85F. It doesnt overheat, but the temp is around 3/4 to almost full H. Sometimes I end up opening the windows and blasting the heat in 90F weather just to cool down the car in fear of F'ing up something.

Nothing beats the stock puller fans, no matter how much CFM your pusher fan is because its no where near as efficient as your puller fans. Never will be cause of sheer physics. Best to keep them. Im going to put my stock ones back in once I redo the piping again for the 3rd time.

Dixit
Old 12-07-2003, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Nothing beats the stock puller fans, no matter how much CFM your pusher fan is because its no where near as efficient as your puller fans. Never will be cause of sheer physics. Best to keep them.

Also that little coil your talking about sounds like the Power Steering cooler, incase that helps you at all (again)
Old 12-07-2003, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Jay25 is 100% right on that. I got two nice pusher fans doing about 1400cfm a piece and still that doesnt cut it in bumper to bumper traffic when the outside temp is above 85F. It doesnt overheat, but the temp is around 3/4 to almost full H. Sometimes I end up opening the windows and blasting the heat in 90F weather just to cool down the car in fear of F'ing up something.

Nothing beats the stock puller fans, no matter how much CFM your pusher fan is because its no where near as efficient as your puller fans. Never will be cause of sheer physics. Best to keep them. Im going to put my stock ones back in once I redo the piping again for the 3rd time.

Dixit
3rd time!

Are the fans you have real slim and do they have shrouds. Shrouds can make a big difference. I live in Houston, so its like 90 degrees every freakin day fo 8 months out of the year.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:10 AM

Ya I was going to get one with a thermostat so when it gets to a certain temperature the kick in.

get any type you of pusher fan! They are a POS! youll still overheat. During winter time youll be fine. But dont get stuck in traffic during summer!
Old 12-07-2003, 07:10 AM

Pushers aren't as good, Jay and Dixit are right.

As I mentioned before, pushers are going to be pushing air through the AC condensor and then into your radiator. Not as much air is going to be sent through your radiator core, hence less cooling. Plus from the very, very little I remember from my fluid dynamics classes, using pusher fans will cause more turbulent airflow through the radiator as opposed to puller fans. And more turbulence means less actual airflow over the radiator. If you're in houston, you're probably going to overheat. Maybe you can run one pusher and one puller as a compromise.

If you go with an aftermarket radiator, like a big Fluidyne or Koyo, then you'll probably be fine, but those are very expensive.

3rd time!

Are the fans you have real slim and do they have shrouds. Shrouds can make a big difference. I live in Houston, so its like 90 degrees every freakin day fo 8 months out of the year.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Pushers aren't as good, Jay and Dixit are right.

As I mentioned before, pushers are going to be pushing air through the AC condensor and then into your radiator. Not as much air is going to be sent through your radiator core, hence less cooling. Plus from the very, very little I remember from my fluid dynamics classes, using pusher fans will cause more turbulent airflow through the radiator as opposed to puller fans. And more turbulence means less actual airflow over the radiator. If you're in houston, you're probably going to overheat. Maybe you can run one pusher and one puller as a compromise.

If you go with an aftermarket radiator, like a big Fluidyne or Koyo, then you'll probably be fine, but those are very expensive.

I read 900CFM up there. Dixit has something way stronger then that. He still over heats. Baggs same thing. He even bought a stronger one. He still over heats. One more example as Shadow does he have his stock fans on his personal turbo kit? 10 times out of 10 he has his on
Old 12-07-2003, 02:09 PM

Yeah, like I said, I'm not positive. I think the 900cfm is the 10" ones we run on my girlfriend's Integra.

And if you're referring to me, yeah, the stock fans are on there. No reason to take them out if not necessary, just cause unneeded problems. But if there isn't any other way for spanishrice to run the manifold the way he's envisioned without removing the fans, well then...

If spanishrice is going to all the trouble of this manifold, I'd say get a big aftermarket aluminum radiator. No, they don't make them for Maximas but if he's going to be rewelding brackets, there is no reason he can't use one made for another car. That would make a bigger difference than the fans. On our Integra, we swapped in a big Fluidyne, and now the fans hardly ever come on. Before, they would run almost all the time. Not a cheap option, but it would probably prevent any overheating problems.

Originally Posted by JAY25
I read 900CFM up there. Dixit has something way stronger then that. He still over heats. Baggs same thing. He even bought a stronger one. He still over heats. One more example as Shadow does he have his stock fans on his personal turbo kit? 10 times out of 10 he has his on
Old 12-07-2003, 04:34 PM

Ya I am using a universal aluminum radiator, that I am going to buy from speed shop over here, got a pretty good price. I miss read the post I am going to be using PULLER fans not PUSHER fans. That why I am going to move the condenser and radiator foward. I have the intercooler problem solved because it is short and wide not tall like jasons. My core is going to be like 30 by 6 by 3. If I need a bigger one later on, I will solve the problem later.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:07 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

sounds like the size of my heat reducer. it bolts right onto the radiator
Old 12-07-2003, 06:42 PM

heat reducer?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:22 PM

yeah, im installing an air to water after cooler, i'll post some pic tomorrow nite after work.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:11 AM

So an intercooler and aftercooler?
Old 12-08-2003, 12:44 PM

no, the aftercooler is hooked up with a heat reducer and fed through a water pump.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:38 PM

Doh, I forgot you have supercharger.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:22 PM

did you take a look at the aftercooler on my web page?

here is the top part, some of those steel braided hoses drain down in front of the radiator and the is connected to the water pump to pump it to the top part of the aftercooler.

i will have the pics up for the heat reducer when i get off work.

this seems like a pretty good setup for a s/c (i cant wait to start her up tonite for her virgin run on my car)

-steve
Old 12-08-2003, 03:50 PM

Looks good man, who it works good because you spent so much money and time on it.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:18 PM

What is your website address.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:35 PM

www.cardomain.com/id/slimermax1
Old 12-09-2003, 09:31 AM

Tell us what kind of numbers you expect from it.