Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Boost with lightened Flywheel ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Boost with lightened Flywheel ??

I have heard in the past that lightened flywheels are hard on trannies exspesially with boost..

I have a Fidanza Flyhwheel/ACT Street Clutch and was wondering if I should go back to stock Flywheel before my S/C is put in...I am going to have the tranny off so its not a big deal...I also get a lot of chatter from this setup..

What to do ???
(in no paticular order)
1) buy a new clutch, and have the flywheel cut just alittle (talked to the trans guy it is doable to cut a lightened flywheel just alittle bit)
2) put in my stock flywheel with a new ACT and hope for the best...I am scared to run boost with a ligtened flywheel cause many people claim it puts more strain on the tranny...and when the engine revs down and i put in gear with boost i may put more srtrain on the drivetrain since the lightened flywheel drops so fast...
3) Or Cut the flywheel and keep my 20K mile old ACT in there and hope I Dont get chatter..but i will have a 20K mile old clutch....Hmmmm ??

matt

BTW: sorry guys for all the recent questions...I am new to all this and want to make the right decisions
Old 03-04-2004, 10:16 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally Posted by matty
1) buy a new clutch, and have the flywheel cut just alittle (talked to the trans guy it is doable to cut a lightened flywheel just alittle bit)
2) put in my stock flywheel with a new ACT and hope for the best...I am scared to run boost with a ligtened flywheel cause many people claim it puts more strain on the tranny...and when the engine revs down and i put in gear with boost i may put more srtrain on the drivetrain since the lightened flywheel drops so fast...
if the clutch is only 20k miles old, I wouldn't think it needs to be replaced yet. and if it does, I'd hate to see how fast you go through them with the S/C
Old 03-05-2004, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by matty
I have heard in the past that lightened flywheels are hard on trannies exspesially with boost..

I have a Fidanza Flyhwheel/ACT Street Clutch and was wondering if I should go back to stock Flywheel before my S/C is put in...I am going to have the tranny off so its not a big deal...I also get a lot of chatter from this setup..

What to do ???
(in no paticular order)
3) Or Cut the flywheel and keep my 20K mile old ACT in there and hope I Dont get chatter..but i will have a 20K mile old clutch....Hmmmm ??

matt

BTW: sorry guys for all the recent questions...I am new to all this and want to make the right decisions
Yes, lightened flywheels are extremely hard on trannies. I can help you out, though, by taking that flywheel off your hands.

Just kidding. A lightened flywheel is only going to be hard on a tranny in the sense that you can get more hp from the engine to the transmission, but that is only, what, about 10-12 hp at most? Maybe more, but I think our trannies can handle it. How you work the clutch has much more bearing on the life of a Maxima transmission.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:02 AM

its not the flywheel that tears your **** up. is the driver! When the search function comes on read. I seen quite a few people in action and I am like WTF! dude you going to tear yo **** up dont drive like that. Okay sure enough months go by and they come back ooh my car doesnt feel right. Why not? kept driving like they aint got no sense thats why. hard 1st gear take offs with lots of wheel hop will crack your case and internals in a jiffy. Keep your current setup quit stressing out. I thinks whats stressing you out is forking out the 3K plus. Once you get on the freeway and feed it some gas, what you feel inside is priceless. You will need that flywheel to run up your RPMS very fast.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25
its not the flywheel that tears your **** up. is the driver! When the search function comes on read. I seen quite a few people in action and I am like WTF! dude you going to tear yo **** up dont drive like that. Okay sure enough months go by and they come back ooh my car doesnt feel right. Why not? kept driving like they aint got no sense thats why. hard 1st gear take offs with lots of wheel hop will crack your case and internals in a jiffy. Keep your current setup quit stressing out. I thinks whats stressing you out is forking out the 3K plus. Once you get on the freeway and feed it some gas, what you feel inside is priceless. You will need that flywheel to run up your RPMS very fast.
yeah, what JAY25 said. the lighter fly wheel is not what hurts the car but the driver , wheel up is very bad. when i feel any wheel up i instantly STOP. i had my act installed by a mechanic at his shop, my sh#t chattered for 400 miles or so going in 5th at 60 i down shifted to 3rd and heard a loud pop and lost 4th. from that moment on i have been dealing with a handicap transmission. with no fault to the car plus i treat my max better than my girlfriend. $3,000 later and a terrible shop that i wish to the lord all mighty i never went there(from may till october my car was in and out of the shop every other week,2003) and i still have to doulbe clutch 5th now (why is my 5th f@kd up i have no clule,i need some synchros though) cant shift into 5th over 80 and have to wait till the rpms are under 1,000. even at fourty i have to do the same procedure. now that sucks!!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
yeah, what JAY25 said. the lighter fly wheel is not what hurts the car but the driver , wheel up is very bad. when i feel any wheel up i instantly STOP. i had my act installed by a mechanic at his shop, my sh#t chattered for 400 miles or so going in 5th at 60 i down shifted to 3rd and heard a loud pop and lost 4th. from that moment on i have been dealing with a handicap transmission. with no fault to the car plus i treat my max better than my girlfriend. $3,000 later and a terrible shop that i wish to the lord all mighty i never went there(from may till october my car was in and out of the shop every other week,2003) and i still have to doulbe clutch 5th now (why is my 5th f@kd up i have no clule,i need some synchros though) cant shift into 5th over 80 and have to wait till the rpms are under 1,000. even at fourty i have to do the same procedure. now that sucks!!!!
*wheel hop* and they never resurface my flywheel until after the second time it broke, when i finally get this fixed im gonna start with new clutch, fidanza flywheel and an lsd, think i will just go with the 20th aniv max trans
Old 03-05-2004, 09:37 AM

I didnt resurface my flywheel when I did my 5 speed swap. My old flywheel was mint so I didnt resurface it. I just sanded it down in circles a bit.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:29 AM

flywheel and boost discussion

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=255588