Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

welding tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 01:16 PM

welding tips

i hope mods can let this one fly.

i am gonna do my intercooler piping this wedensday. i was wondering if anyone had any welding tips for me. i have stated welding last week a put toghter a few seat brackets. the welds are not the prettiest welds in the world.

the main problem i having is i am getting those air pockets in the welds. and after they cool down there a a bunch of pin sized holes in the weld. are there any tips any of you guys have?????
Old 03-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Process?

You didn't state what kind of welding process you're using.. Stick, MIG, TIG, gas?

I've been to welding school and can probably offer you advice if you provide some more specs on how you're setting up the work.

Originally Posted by jdmmax
i hope mods can let this one fly.

i am gonna do my intercooler piping this wedensday. i was wondering if anyone had any welding tips for me. i have stated welding last week a put toghter a few seat brackets. the welds are not the prettiest welds in the world.

the main problem i having is i am getting those air pockets in the welds. and after they cool down there a a bunch of pin sized holes in the weld. are there any tips any of you guys have?????
Old 03-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I belive it's MIG welding. All I can tell you frank, is watch the wire speed and temp. Oh and practice PRACTICE PRACTICE.....
Old 03-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Z driver

Chances are your using a non-gas wire fed mig. Thats the most common small welder available (also the cheapest)

You will not be able to use this very well to weld up your piping entirelly. What I would recommend you do is to just tack weld your pipes together how you want them. Take your pipes to a welding shop (look in the yellow pages under welding, there will be 10,000 places that do it) and have them just weld up the pipes for you. Your welder will not have stainless wire it in so it will rust if you use it all the way around (not to mention pin holes and all that other BS you described) have the welding shop weld it for you and it will be a whole lot better and look much better. They will charge you next to nothing to do it as well, maybe 30 bux.

Just cut up your pipes, line them up and use tape to hold them together where you want. Take it back off the car then cut a square out of the tape and zap it on both sides on a bench. Take the tape off go back to your car and make sure it fits how you want. Once you have all the pipes down, have them welded professionally as I described above. You will be glad you did trust me. The welds your gonig to do will be really ugly, thin, holy and just a total mess.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:17 PM

hahahahahahah thanks dsm.

i put toghther two mor seat brackets for racing seats as well. 1fstmax did the welds on the one i am using right now for my recaro. do you think the mig wleder will be ok for things like that???