Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

supercharger or evo 8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 05:12 PM

supercharger or evo 8?

i just got a new job...and deciding whether to supercharge my 2k max 5spd with 50k miles...and still paying for it....or trade it in...for an evo 8...i figure that if i get a loan for $5k for the supercharger kit and other hardwares plus pyaing for the max a month it would be about $400/month all together...while the evo 8 would get me close to $430/month.....what should i dooo????
also, what can my max do with 9psi in 1/4 mile? I have a y-pipe, intake, and udp. thanks.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would get an EVO 8.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:55 PM

It all depends on what you wanna rock...The Evo will be nice but everyone knows there fast. If you have a S/C Max youll be 100% sleeper..

The intake will come out and the UDP will come out...the car will be S/C with a y-pipe. itll be quick

-matt
Old 04-15-2004, 06:05 PM

Definitely, definitely, definitely get the Evo.

Did I mention definitely?

-Tony
Old 04-15-2004, 07:33 PM

EV0 is pretty juicy... Too bad it has that humongous wing... but it does have a go fast aftermarket go for it! much more potential!
Old 04-15-2004, 07:33 PM

Definitely, definitely, definitely get the supercharger

think about it

if you race a mustang and win with the evo the mustang guys will say of course you won youve got an evo

but if you loss they will laugh at you

if you lose with the max theyll just say so what its a 4 doors

but if win with the max your a friking hero and totaly embarassed the mustang
Old 04-15-2004, 07:37 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by ilumo
EV0 is pretty juicy... Too bad it has that humongous wing
on that note I was reaidng some mag the other month and supposedly Mitsu will be releasing the EVO VIII "Rally"...its basically a stripped down Evo...no wing, no HIDs, no leather, roll up windows, you get the point...basically they stripped about 200lbs worth of equipment I think. almost looks like the regular Lancer...definite SLEEPER!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by purekoryo
i just got a new job...and deciding whether to supercharge my 2k max 5spd with 50k miles...and still paying for it....or trade it in...for an evo 8...i figure that if i get a loan for $5k for the supercharger kit and other hardwares plus pyaing for the max a month it would be about $400/month all together...while the evo 8 would get me close to $430/month.....what should i dooo????
also, what can my max do with 9psi in 1/4 mile? I have a y-pipe, intake, and udp. thanks.
I have considered the same thing, and while the EVO 8 and STI are fast, they are boy racers. The Maxima is a refined machine. Besides, if you really want a car, get the VW R32! My cousing has one, and let me tell you, that is a complete car. Luxury is there, 4-motion, 6-speed, 240 hp, handling, styling that is flawless, and the most beautiful exhaust note you have ever heard. The exhaust is flat out sweeeeet

Here is the deal, what do you owe on your Max, are you upsidedown, (owing more than it's worth)? Also, your payments will definetely be in the mid $500-$600 range without money down. The supercharger would be unique and you can probably give a stock STI a run for it's money with 11psi boost, y-pipe, and flywheel. Maybe not off the line, but from cruise speed on. I am trying to scrape together for the SC myself right now and that is the direction I want to go...but the R32 is very, very tempting. The car is fast off the line, but man does it take off from 3rd gear on. Try one and you will see, it's a great car.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by abradic
the most beautiful exhaust note you have ever heard. The exhaust is flat out sweeeeet
OMG you aren't lying...the funny thing is when you hear it, you don't expect it to be coming from a VW. we were working on my friends car last week and his neighbor was revving up the R32 in the garage, I thought he had a freaking F1 racecar in there unitl he pulled it out... I was like what an AWESOME car!!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
Definitely, definitely, definitely get the supercharger

think about it

if you race a mustang and win with the evo the mustang guys will say of course you won youve got an evo

but if you loss they will laugh at you

if you lose with the max theyll just say so what its a 4 doors

but if win with the max your a friking hero and totaly embarassed the mustang
Nahhh... only ricers do that stuff... I would give a thumbs up either way... Although if it was a pimped up FIed Max, I wouldnt be embarassed if I lost. Why the hell would I be? But the chances of a max beating a cobra on the streets would be slim indeed, . FWD w/o slicks = going nowhere

i say go for the evo still, if you want a faster better handling car ...unless you want to be different then do a FIed max... either way..
Old 04-16-2004, 12:35 AM
Sports Button FTW

depends on what u want out of your car. Evo looks hot and its wicked fast, but maxima has features which make it more beneficial to have than an evo such as room, cheap accessories compared to evo, durability, insurance. Plus i think a supercharged maxima is faster than an evo 8. If supercharged 4th gens can beat STI turbo's, i'm sure a supercharged 5th gen would walk an evo....

so all u get from lancer is looks, newer car, more eyes, and a good piece of mind that you look good.

hmmm, i think i would get the evo
Old 04-16-2004, 01:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by abradic
I have considered the same thing, and while the EVO 8 and STI are fast, they are boy racers. The Maxima is a refined machine. Besides, if you really want a car, get the VW R32! My cousing has one, and let me tell you, that is a complete car. Luxury is there, 4-motion, 6-speed, 240 hp, handling, styling that is flawless, and the most beautiful exhaust note you have ever heard. The exhaust is flat out sweeeeet

Here is the deal, what do you owe on your Max, are you upsidedown, (owing more than it's worth)? Also, your payments will definetely be in the mid $500-$600 range without money down. The supercharger would be unique and you can probably give a stock STI a run for it's money with 11psi boost, y-pipe, and flywheel. Maybe not off the line, but from cruise speed on. I am trying to scrape together for the SC myself right now and that is the direction I want to go...but the R32 is very, very tempting. The car is fast off the line, but man does it take off from 3rd gear on. Try one and you will see, it's a great car.
I like the R32 as well but I've seen a chipped 1.8t GTi with I/E walk it one the highway. So if you want to dominate the EVO is the better choice for the $30K you have to shell out for either. THIS is a good article on the STi, EVO and the R32.

I am closing in on a similar crossroad as well. Do I go turbo, SC, get something else? I dunno. If you think with your wallet, the SC seems to be more a rewarding bang for the buck. That is until a SRT-4 with bolt-ons blows by you're SC Maxima with ease. That may be a little exaggerated, but my point is compared to the new breed of factory forced inducted cars, a super charged (without NO2) Maxima SEEMS to have limited potential. Toyota, GM, and Nissan will hopefully join in the FI market as well and that's just more boost on the streets. I say go for the EVO.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:52 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by meccanoble
Plus i think a supercharged maxima is faster than an evo 8. If supercharged 4th gens can beat STI turbo's, i'm sure a supercharged 5th gen would walk an evo....
ummmm, you need to think waaaaaay harder. you make it seem like all these Evos and STis are running stock boost and no mods... even simple bolt ons on most non-STi WRXs will lay waste to the average SC Max.

and about the SRT4....I know its a Neon, but 500+ on the stock block...and people doubted Mopar/Dodge could get back in the turbo game like with their older cars.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:14 AM

Evo is a very nice car. Very very fast from a dead stop. If you like to race from light to light or a big 1/4 mile runner the EVO is for you. If your going to be running from rolls youll kill a EVO on top end. I know when I was SCed with my other car, damaged engine and everything I was pulling on them. They have no top end, it just dies out due to that small turbo.

BUt like someone said up there, its a 4 door sedan no one expects you to win. And if you do win people give you mad props. Trust me on that one!
Old 04-16-2004, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
on that note I was reaidng some mag the other month and supposedly Mitsu will be releasing the EVO VIII "Rally"...its basically a stripped down Evo...no wing, no HIDs, no leather, roll up windows, you get the point...basically they stripped about 200lbs worth of equipment I think. almost looks like the regular Lancer...definite SLEEPER!!!
it is actually 88 lbs lighter, i think i could handle the extras of course ive got heated seats.....its a tuff decision to make. Too bad you couldnt keep the max and get an evo. Im planning on getting an sti myself and keeping the max. Im not sure if i could ever give it up.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:14 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

heh, yeah 200lbs did seem kinda drastic when I thought about it
Old 04-16-2004, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
it is actually 88 lbs lighter, i think i could handle the extras of course ive got heated seats.....its a tuff decision to make. Too bad you couldnt keep the max and get an evo. Im planning on getting an sti myself and keeping the max. Im not sure if i could ever give it up.
Well SPORT COMPACT CAR says it's 146 pounds. Somewhere in between 200 and 88 .

Originally Posted by JAY25
Evo is a very nice car. Very very fast from a dead stop. If you like to race from light to light or a big 1/4 mile runner the EVO is for you. If your going to be running from rolls youll kill a EVO on top end. I know when I was SCed with my other car, damaged engine and everything I was pulling on them. They have no top end, it just dies out due to that small turbo.
What mods if any did the EVO have? This may sway me to SCing the max.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:28 PM
wat

Evos are only good for their launch, and its hard to do it, I see them running 14s all the time out at the track. Thats WITH good experienced drivers. It'll take awhile before it'll actually be fast. AWD really takes away the power after the launch, so no good launch = shiity times.

Get the supercharger, it'll sound better, and you will still have the max. You'll get picked on by cops more too if your driving around in a EVO 8, I see it all the time around here.

DO THE SUPERCHARGER, I bet you could pull a better time on the track than a evo 8 with a supercharged max. More fun too.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:15 AM

Alright enough with the speculations. What are the numbers, so there can be a fair comparison.

1. What HP/TQ are Maximas making with pulleys 3.6 - 7 psi, 3.33 - 9 psi, 3.25 - 10 psi, 3.125 - 11 psi, 2.87 - 13 psi?

2. What times?

3. Anything special you gotta do to run the higher PSIs?
Old 04-17-2004, 07:36 PM
OG :)

I was in a similar situation, faced with a 26K used STi or going supercharger. I'd like to think I made the right decision, as the Maxima is very unique and a true blast to drive now. I'd go test drive one at least; you'd be impressed by the amount of technology in the "rally type" cars REGARDLESS.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:13 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Turbocharge the Max.... If Nissan ever comes back to FI in US it will be devastation for just bout every other FI car here- as long as its RWD or AWD. Think of this... I have a 10 year old Infiniti G20 I bought on Ebay for 860 bux, I installed a 260 dollar Spearco bar & plate intercooler in it, 100 bux for my own piping I made, 1300 for a used JDM SR20DET with a smallish ball bearing T25 turbo, 270 shipped for S-AFC2 off Ebay- brand new, 2.5" turbo back exhaust with no cat and a stock Acura RSX Type S rear muffler ( I work at Acura and straight pipe all the way back was too loud for the street). I tunned the G on the dyno with a 10 dollar fishbowl bleeder valve from Petco, to 10psi of boost and S-AFC with power of 246.6WHP and 26x.xlbs of torque on stock fuel pump, MAF and 370cc injestors, FU*K JWT and their ECUs. I run a stock G20 ECU for 259 cc injectors and stock engine. No detonation, 36MPG on the highway, and I smoked 2 STis, one EVO with catback, AFC, intake, and cams with 20psi of boost. I also got to do a little country road battle with a Mopar Stg II SRT4. My little car smoked em all and it looks completly stock. Nissan is the shizznit, just wait for the return of our "DET or DETT" engines. These cars might be rally cars n all, very cool looking or what not... but I can tell ya from experience I have working at Subaru- their trannies blow left n right ( dunno bout the 6spd yet but I'm sure they have problems too) and EVO has clutch problems etc. I have a friend with a EVO, hes had a DSM before it, always a DSM guy and hes going to get rid of his EVO cause more and more of em are breaking down. I still don't see how a 500WHP Turbo Maxima is going to get walked on the highway by an EVO, SRT4 or an STi- moded or not.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:47 AM

stick w/what you have and be proud of the maxima. get the S/C. don't trade in your car for an EVO!!! forget mitsubishi.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Turbocharge the Max.... If Nissan ever comes back to FI in US it will be devastation for just bout every other FI car here- as long as its RWD or AWD. Think of this... I have a 10 year old Infiniti G20 I bought on Ebay for 860 bux, I installed a 260 dollar Spearco bar & plate intercooler in it, 100 bux for my own piping I made, 1300 for a used JDM SR20DET with a smallish ball bearing T25 turbo, 270 shipped for S-AFC2 off Ebay- brand new, 2.5" turbo back exhaust with no cat and a stock Acura RSX Type S rear muffler ( I work at Acura and straight pipe all the way back was too loud for the street). I tunned the G on the dyno with a 10 dollar fishbowl bleeder valve from Petco, to 10psi of boost and S-AFC with power of 246.6WHP and 26x.xlbs of torque on stock fuel pump, MAF and 370cc injestors, FU*K JWT and their ECUs. I run a stock G20 ECU for 259 cc injectors and stock engine. No detonation, 36MPG on the highway, and I smoked 2 STis, one EVO with catback, AFC, intake, and cams with 20psi of boost. I also got to do a little country road battle with a Mopar Stg II SRT4. My little car smoked em all and it looks completly stock. Nissan is the shizznit, just wait for the return of our "DET or DETT" engines. These cars might be rally cars n all, very cool looking or what not... but I can tell ya from experience I have working at Subaru- their trannies blow left n right ( dunno bout the 6spd yet but I'm sure they have problems too) and EVO has clutch problems etc. I have a friend with a EVO, hes had a DSM before it, always a DSM guy and hes going to get rid of his EVO cause more and more of em are breaking down. I still don't see how a 500WHP Turbo Maxima is going to get walked on the highway by an EVO, SRT4 or an STi- moded or not.
$860.00 + $260.00 + $100.00 + $1,300.00 + $270.00 + $10.00 = $2,800.00 (not including the dyno fee). There's no Maxima going to keep up with you, let alone beat you at that price. Another thing where are these 500 whp Maximas you speak of? I'm down if I can do it at the same exspense you did your G20.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:24 AM

500 whp is straining it ... Even with the engine perfectly tuned, with it on the rich side, I think you will start running into problems. Plus to get 500 whp, you need a bit of boost, and boost + high compression = need for high octane gas... forget about 500 whp for daily driving if you're running on pump gas... if you are, then say hi to detonation and bye to engine.

If you want to go fast, which is what some of your suggestions are, why the heck are you getting a G20? just get a old beatup foxbody with the 5.0, and mod that for cheap, and you will be fast. it will look like crap, drive like crap, probably smell like crap, but you will be fast...
THe maxima is not going to be a good platform for going insane speeds, and even if you get all that power, how are you going to hook up? It will be another dyno/highway queen like the supras... even worse with the FWD, heh.
I say, stick with a supercharger if you want plenty of power, but if want dump all your money to be different, then join the big boys and go turbo.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:25 PM

Not all stock EVOs run 14's. Too many factors. Just b/c you are AWD does not mean you have no top end pull. Gearing and mods can always correct that.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:20 AM

I have not seen any 500+WHP Maximas but there are some very close to it ! And I'm sure no EVO or STi will be able to keep up with the famous "4th gen Turbo 505lbs of torque beast". As far as me getting a G20 vs a Fox body... hmm there are lots of factors why 5.slows suck. For one if U like rebuilding that engine alot, sure its cheap to go fast. But reliable is another story. With piston to cylinder wall gaps approaching index finger thickness, and rod bearing clearance the size texas... I won't build no more domestic motors. I've had a Fox body with a 351 Cleveland in it... it wasn't too fast and gas mileage sucked big time. Now my little G20 is a sleeper, it handles better than the STi or EVO when decked out with an aftermarket suspension system- multi link front suspension derrived from the GT-R is used on the front, and multi link rear independent suspension is light years ahead of any American muscle car. Interior fit and finish is better than on a 50K dollar SEVILLE STS- brand new car- vs my 10 year old ride. Now lets talk brakes.... sure stock brakes are adequate for a stock ride, but when pushing over 200-300-400WHP U need something much larger. TTZ brakes bolt right up, only needing a rotor redrill for the 4 lug nut bolt pattern. Do U wanna go bigger ? R34 GT-R Brembos fit as well. Engine wise, U have alot of choices- meanest one is SR20DET "54C" with everything built from the factory with "still cast pistons". This motor will support 550WHP on stock bottom end. Spec V tranny is the same as a 6spd Maxima LSD tranny, just diff gear ratios- AND it bolts up to the SR motor to handle all that power. Did U know G20s came with ATTESA AWD in other countries ? If U can source the parts U CAN convert it to AWD.... now U see what I'm sayn ? For about 12K bux including the car I can make a 550-600WHP bullet proof sedan, with AWD, all the creature comforts, handling of a pure sports car... and NO Mustang on the street is going to touch it. Oh and if torque wins races.... I might as well swap in a Cummins 5.9L DOHC I-6 diesel motor out of a Ram into my ride... cause my "torque-less" wonder G20 on boost has yet to loose a highway battle. American cars are dispossable cars, once the warranty is up, betta just get rid of it... resale of that car will drop from lets say 50K dollars on a Seville STS to like 17 on a 3 year old car.... talk about depreciation !
Old 05-09-2004, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I have not seen any 500+WHP Maximas but there are some very close to it ! And I'm sure no EVO or STi will be able to keep up with the famous "4th gen Turbo 505lbs of torque beast".

Man I understand wanting to defend your point, but can you mention the Maxima in more than one sentence. O.K. at least I will concede that you have a fast G20, and all you need is $3,200.00 more dollars to make it AWD, handle better than an EVO/STi, and put down 500 hp. The question at hand is between the EVO and a S/C maxima. If you believe turboing the Maxima is better give us some FACTS about that. The only thing about an SR20DET of any usefullness is if you can swap it into the Maxima and it out perform the VQ at or around the same expense of a turbo kit. Another thing where did the all EVO disrespect come from. Before it came to our shores it was one of the great cars the US did'nt get. Now, it has no top end. I understand not wanting to drop $30k on a car and getting blazed up by a $20k SRT-4 with $1.5K or less in mods but damn, wait a year or two and get a used one.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:42 AM

Custom turbo Ypipe in SSteel is going to cost at the most 500 bux, this is polished SSteel piping with a T3 flange for a HKS GT30 series turbos and any T3/T4 setup. 38mm wastegate flange is included- or any kinda wastegate flange. Next up is the turbo charger- figure in 500 bux for a brand new TO4E .82AR exhaust housing, Stage III wheel and Super 60 compressor wheel, 250 bux for a new TiAL 38mm wastegate. Oil lines- 100 dollars for some killer SSteel braided lines. Intercooler- I always bought mine on Ebay and always had great results- for around 350 dollars U can have a intercooler the size of your desires in bar n plate format. Intercooler piping- home made around 150 bux, custom polished mandrell bent pipes- 500 dollars. Blow off valve- 150 dollars for a Recirculated Greddy Type S or HKS N1 (JDM only). 100 dollars for a Walbro 255 pump, 100 bux for Nismo FPRegulator, 600 bux for Nismo/Tomei/etc ( all made by JECS anyways) 555cc injectors, 150 dollars for a 300ZX MAF, 120 dollars for a TTZ POP charger, 300 dollars for Emanage, 50 dollars for custom ignition timing controll harness, 200 dollars for 3" downpipe, tuning- I do my own, I have the tools to do it, recently aquired a AEM wideband UEGO controller. I've used Emanage EXTENSIVELLY on SR20s, and will be tuning a 400WHP built KA24DE-T that I'm building now. If U add up the $$$s it will pretty much cost almost as much as a Stillen SC kit, yet it will put out way more power. I tend to stay around 11.5:1 AF on Turbo cars while boostn and if runing C16 race gas I go up to 12.5 - SR20s and built KAs. Never have I tunned a VQ series motor. Just for ****s, I ran a STI on the street yesterday, and if U bog off the line with a STI.... as I noticed was happening, he will never ever catch my NA VQ30DE-K which has all the bolt ons. STI wasn't stock, and I was just crusing home from GFs house not trying to pick any races. I'm not a fan of Mitsu or Subaru. I owned 10 Nissans, I never will own a non Nissan car.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:24 PM

i agree with you on all that except the fact that most of the members dont have the knowledge or tools to biuld a custom turbo setup so they buy a kit that cost lotts more than a stillen SC but the turbos obviously have way more potetial for big HP

and evos only trap around 101mph so theres accually a handful of NA maxs that could keep up from a roll. so it wont take much boost to walk one on the highway
Old 05-09-2004, 05:46 PM

I'm not scared of no EVO, I will run any EVO in my town. I understand that most members don't know the diff between a mandrell bent exhaust and crush bent exhaust, let alone know bout turbocharger efficiency, alpha #s, compressor maps and what do the A/R #s mean. I love forced induction, anyone interested in a 79 Datsun 280ZX ?
Old 05-09-2004, 05:51 PM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by JAY25
Trust me on that one!

yuP!!
Old 05-09-2004, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
i agree with you on all that except the fact that most of the members dont have the knowledge or tools to biuld a custom turbo setup so they buy a kit that cost lotts more than a stillen SC but the turbos obviously have way more potetial for big HP

and evos only trap around 101mph so theres accually a handful of NA maxs that could keep up from a roll. so it wont take much boost to walk one on the highway

None of these NA maximas can keep up with a EVO from a 1st or 2nd gear roll. They will get pulled on immediately. Thats their territory dead stop or slow rolls. From a third gear roll it might be a bit different, and even then they still are going to get pulled on unless they have a MEVI and a 72K RPM rev limiter. I dont know how much of a difference that will make on a NA maxima from a third gear roll vs a EVO. The little muscle boxes are pretty strong on low to mid power IMO. I can vouch for that since I ran quite a few here in Ga.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:33 PM
UCF Lexus

Yea, it's the same concept of a crotchrocket...you get a small(er) motor...pack a hella power into it and make it lightweight.........the sonabiatch is gonna be fast.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Lightweight??... The EVO's weigh 100+ lbs. more than a 4th gen...
Old 05-10-2004, 07:08 PM

Pick up a used S13 or S14 and do a RB26 or RB25 swap, turbo the KA24DE or drop in a SR20 for some fun. Also Z32 twin turbos are awesome inexpensive cars which will tear an EVO apart. I can vouch for a TTZ that it will hold up to 600WHP with stock internalls. VG30DETT is a monster engine.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:32 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

hey jez, its just cuz teenie boppers dont know how to drive round these parts.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:41 AM

exacly, why buy a fast car if U can't even drive it right ? I guess if U bought a slow car U would be in worse shape.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:46 AM

Forget Evo 8, Stay With 2k Max. Turbo Engines Die Fast
Old 05-11-2004, 02:29 PM

I owned a 87 Isuzu Impulse 2.6L 4 cylinder Turbo, it had 300K miles on the original engine and tranny when the body completly rusted out finally. For some reason Isuzu can't build a good body. Did U know Lotus Elan used to be powered by a 2.2L 4 cylinder Isuzu turbo engine ? Properly maintainted engine like a 4G63, 3SGTE, SR20DET, EJ20, VG30DETT etc... will last just as long as any other engine. I think the only "turbo" engines that die quickly are the ones who are not maintained right, are tunned by morons, or simply put it turbo Honda engines are not reliable.