Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

HELP, Built Engine Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:15 PM

HELP, Built Engine Nightmare

After waiting nearly 6 months for 9:1 forged pistons, my former mechanic put in the pistons and everything seemed to be fine, the car ran smoothly. So I took the car to XS-Engineering to have them put the turbo kit on. I get a call a few days later saying that there was unusual pieces in the oil pan like peices of metal possibly from the rod bearings. So they got the Ok to open her up and inspect everything and flush it all out. Today, I get another call from XS and they have some "very bad news". They want to know who built the engine and I said a small body shop in Gardena.
This is what XS then tells me: Some of the rods were put in backwards and that they have oil squitters on them and that they will need to rebuild the engine.
My question is do we have oil squitters on our rods!? Is this possible? He told me that he will take pictures of everything and document it so I can take my old mechanic to court. I trust XS but I dont understand how this could have happened.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I know SR20DETs have oil squirters that spray the backside of the pistons that regular SR20s don't. Never heard of them in a VQ and I've seen pictures of a couple torn down and never seen any.

Can you even put in a rod backwards?

Man...so sorry to hear that, but XS-Engineering are super reputable according to what I've read, so I'd go with what they're saying.

Good luck~! Keep us posted.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by I30tJim
Some of the rods were put in backwards and that they have oil squitters on them and that they will need to rebuild the engine.
From what I understand, the VQ35 has oil sprayers that spray the underside of the pistons. I'm guessing you had a VQ30 built, they don't have the oil sprays. (I don't recall when the oil sprays were added... to the VQ30DEK or to the VQ35, if someone knows please clarify.)

What he could have done was install the main bearings backwards. There is pressurized oil that is pushed into the crank. Which then gets pushed into the rod bearings. If he installed the main bearings backwards, it would have blocked that oil. Given it time, that motor would have seized or spun a bearing. If that is indeed the case.

Another thing could be that he didn't size the bearings correctly. Not sure...

The stock rods do carry a "front" mark on them now that I think about it. I'm not sure the signifigance of that without diggin into it.

Keep us posted as to what was done to that motor. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2004, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the help, I guess i will just go with whatever they say, maybe I am not understanding something.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:51 PM

I30tJim

I just checked my repair manual & and the rods are marked & directional. In the (connecting rod & bearing installation) area the first thing they say to do is make sure to note the markings on connecting rods where the bearing cap connects to the rod. I have rebuilt a few honda's in my day "not to compair the VQ to a honda or anything" & they are the same way. Each rod is individually marked, the marking is half way on the rod & the other half on the rod bearing cap. Honda's are marked (1, 2, 3 & 4) to make sure you put them back in the same place they were removed from. My guess is that your mechanic is more familiar with domestic engines & he didn't realize the each bearing cap is specific for each rod. He more then likely put the wrong bearing cap on the wrong connecting rod.

I would make sure he is liable for any damages & repairs that will need to be made. Another thing you should do is inform him right away about what the other shop has told you. He absolutly must look at the engine before the other company dissasembles it. This is for your protection incase it is taken to court. If the mechanic autorizes XS to complete the tear down for him, make sure that you point out to them to make sure the rod's aren't damaged, the crankshaft is still balanced & not damaged etc. I hope you can get it all squared away, good luck & remember to post the time slip's once everything is back to normal?
Old 04-17-2004, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
I30tJim

I just checked my repair manual & and the rods are marked & directional. In the (connecting rod & bearing installation) area the first thing they say to do is make sure to note the markings on connecting rods where the bearing cap connects to the rod. I have rebuilt a few honda's in my day "not to compair the VQ to a honda or anything" & they are the same way. Each rod is individually marked, the marking is half way on the rod & the other half on the rod bearing cap. Honda's are marked (1, 2, 3 & 4) to make sure you put them back in the same place they were removed from. My guess is that your mechanic is more familiar with domestic engines & he didn't realize the each bearing cap is specific for each rod. He more then likely put the wrong bearing cap on the wrong connecting rod.

I would make sure he is liable for any damages & reairs that will need to be made. Another thing you should do is inform him right away about what the other shop has told you. He absolutly must look at the engine before the other company dissasembles it. This is for your protection incase it is taken to court. If the mechanic autorizes XS to complete the tear down for him, make sure that you point out to them to make sure the rod's aren't damaged, the crankshaft is still balanced & not damaged etc. I hope you can get it all squared away, good luck & remember to post the time slip's once everything is back to normal?
Wow, thanks for the info. That sounds to me more like what might have happened. I will talk to XS Monday and get more info and post.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BrianV
Wow, thanks for the info. That sounds to me more like what might have happened. I will talk to XS Monday and get more info and post.
OOPS using Brians computer. Ill let you know what they said.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:57 AM

OOPS using Brians computer. Ill let you know what they said.

The real BrianV this time:

Don't you have aftermarket rods? I'd ask whoever made your rods if that's the case.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:17 AM

man... Jim at this point you should just sell your turbo kit, use the money for a motor swap, put in a stock low mileage VQ and leave it at that. It's too sweet of a car for you to be blowing up every 10,000 miles.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:21 AM

My recommendation = Corvette
Old 04-20-2004, 07:26 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Were the people who installed all the stuff the same people who told you the vq30 had forged rods? Am I thinking of the wrong guy here?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:25 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

.................................................. ..................
Old 09-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

?????
Didn't you buy these? We already told you about this?
Old 09-24-2004, 11:08 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

i was away from the ORG & any computer access when i got them. i had someone else bid for me. i just found out today about these bad luck pistons. the pistons and rods look new and i had a bunch of my boys check them out and they look fine.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm needing a caw

You need to get them magnafluxed for crackes and have them measured for straightness

Originally Posted by pawnstar12
i was away from the ORG & any computer access when i got them. i had someone else bid for me. i just found out today about these bad luck pistons. the pistons and rods look new and i had a bunch of my boys check them out and they look fine.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:14 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

F@ck!! i guess thats what i get for not being on the org everyday!
Old 09-24-2004, 11:17 AM

he says you can return them if you want in one of the threads.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:20 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=333113
Old 09-24-2004, 11:21 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

well im gonna get them checked 1st
Old 09-24-2004, 04:50 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Goooooooooood luck.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:06 PM

Dave, I PM'd you,
I will gladly take them back as I promised, but please have your mechanic check them out. Mine said they were perfectly fine, if you need reassurance you may contact Probe Industries, they made the pistons for me, and they too will verify the pistons are good to go!!

Jim
Old 09-24-2004, 07:53 PM

Dave, I PM'd you,
I will gladly take them back as I promised, but please have your mechanic check them out. Mine said they were perfectly fine, if you need reassurance you may contact Probe Industries, they made the pistons for me, and they too will verify the pistons are good to go!!

Jim
Wow, you had Probe Industries make your pistons for you? There located in Lancaster, CA correct? They absolutely make high quality products, there just alittle pricey for most. I never knew they were taking on the import market, usually they just stick with american engines parts 426 hemi etc. I guess if you have enough money anything is possible! If you don't mind me asking did these a custom order only, or do they stock the pistons needed for the VQ? Thanks.....
Old 09-25-2004, 11:07 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

nos- i think they were custom made

jim- thanks for the pm and im very optimistic about the situation
Old 09-26-2004, 01:11 PM

Nos,
yes they were custom made.

pawnstar,
glad to here it