Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

IDLER Pulley Torque Twist?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 03:46 PM

IDLER Pulley Torque Twist?

After 2 years and about 2 Thousand dollars this is the "last" attempt to fix the Drive Belt running off the pullies problem.

I have done the spacer / up-graded bearing and anodized pully routine. The belt still will not stay on the pullies.

Now, my local Speed Shop thinks (for some time actually) that the IDLER Pulley (mounts on the Stillen Mounting Bracket, hole 15?) is twisting under high RPM (TORQUE) and causing the belt to run off track.

The speed shop RMCR is going to attempt to attach a brace of some sort to the lower portion of the Stillen Mounting Bracket to eliminate the twisting of the Bracket / IDLER Pulley.

This generally is a method used on ROOTS SC I think. I have seen braces used / sold in magazines for other types of SC installations.

Anyone out there heard of this application on the Stillen Kit Mounting Bracket?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what kit do you have ?? any your belt keeps comein off of track ?> how ??

-matt
Old 04-17-2004, 05:24 AM

Reply to Matty:
I have the Stillen 95-99 4th Gen kit P/N 407000. My SC is a V2

How? The drive belt moves both inboard and outboard on the SC pully. Inboard meaning towards the engine & outboard meaning away for the engine. All the suggested fixes regarding spacers/ pullies/ pully materials have not worked. Last shot at this is the possibility of fixing probable movement of the "whole" IDLER Pully do to movement under high rev conditions (TORQUE). This is common problem with ROOTS SC installations. Maybe here also.

Someone has posted a SC for sale on here, and mentions a STEEL bracket. Sounds like a fix for the problem I am having. Not sure.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 01:31 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

The idler pulley on the V2 kits doesn't "see" the belt coming in perpendicular or straight... the belt comes in at an angle... You can tell by the wear pattern on the pulley, if you look.

Does the wear pattern on the pulley show that the contact area is near the centerline of the pulley's available contact area? If not you may want to try adding/removing spacer or washer between pulley and mounting bracket...
Old 04-18-2004, 02:32 PM

Reply to Chunger:
I will show your email to the speed shop gurus tomorrow (Monday). We have basically done all the spacer combinations.

The SC Bracket even has been reworked to add a larger heatsink at the IDLER pulley female provision.

The "last" approach is to try and eliminate any SC Bracket twisting. The amount of material on the lower end of the Bracket is rather thin (width wise) and "may" allow for movement of the "whole" IDLER Pulley assembly.

Thanks again! We will go over the spacer / wear pattern question tomorrow along with trying to figure a way to "brace" the lower end of the SC Bracket (tie it down).
Old 04-18-2004, 06:35 PM

Well the Stillen V1 S/C kits came with a Steel Mounting Bracket....and the V2 kit came with an Aluminum Mounting Bracket....Are your belts shredding or actually coming off ??

-matt
Old 04-19-2004, 03:17 AM

Reply to Matt:
Both! SC pulley is 6 groove. The belt "moves" off track "Both" inboard and outboard (towards the engine and away from the engine). Movement varies.

When "off-track" if I do not notice quickly then the belt rubs and shredds. Currently the belt has moved outboard. The previous movement was inboard. This is not a belt tension problem.

Interesting to know that the V1 SC bracket was Steel. I was qouted about $600.00 to replace the aluminum bracket by Stillen one year ago.

What was the problem. if any, with the steel bracket?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:44 AM

the main pulley that the belt sits in, do you have a square key that goes in there? If your pulley is shifting left or right you might be missing a square key that goes between the main supercharger shaft and the pulley. I seen this happen on a supercharger. Check to see if thats the problem. I am having a hard time picturing how in the hell is your belt shifting in and out. Out you may be missing bolts. Inboard you will have to shim the blower with washers. If the main pulley shifts left and right you may be missing that square key.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:52 PM

Reply to Jay25:
I am just back from the local speed shop.

"This time" the problem is that the IDLER Pulley slipped off the "new" bearing recently installed.

I have decided to throw-in-the-towel on SCing. In two weeks the speed shop RMCR in Colorado Springs (Vortech distributor) will remove the SC and associated hardware. To many problems and way to much money.

My V2 has 17 thousand miles on it. I will sell for $1100.00 with the aluminum bracket. shipping in the US included. My RED Vortech BOV I will sell for $125.00. It only has a couple thousand miles on it at the most. Adapter Flange included.

Thanks for all the suggestions.