Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Intercooler for Supercharged 95-99 Maxima's

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 04:10 PM

Intercooler for Supercharged 95-99 Maxima's

Can anyone help me find a new or used aftermarket intercooler for my 98 MaX SC'd.

Putting an intercooler in the maxima looks like it will be a tight fit.

Do anyone knows the measurement of one that will fit?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:22 PM

ask ilumo for that one, he built a custom intercooled-supercharger setup. You can find new ones on ebay for real cheap!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:18 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Is there a particular size of intercooler to choose?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:47 PM

I did an intercooler on mine. check out the web site!

Also if your interested I can have a set of pipes made for you it will be a complete bolt in deal!! all you need is a spearco 28.5x8x3 from boostcoolers on ebay. pm me if your interested in pipes. the way i did my pipes makes all of your factory stuff remain, with the exception of the styrofoam in the bumper and the power steering cooler must be rerouted.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:44 PM

i had my piping done 3 months ago.

what i do not have done is the issues with the piping. mainly poping the piping off everythime i hit boost. still needs to be finished.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:28 AM

try bead rolling the pipe ends, or running a weld bead around the end of the pipe! good luck
Old 06-09-2004, 08:18 AM
I love lamp.

Interesting.....for those that have done intercooling on an S/C, how much boost have you lost? Also any noticeable gain/loss of power?

S
Old 06-10-2004, 02:47 AM

I am running the 3.33 pulley and was seeing on cool nights 10-11 psi. with the intercooler I now only see 6-7psi. however I just took my pipes off and found a bolt had come out on the maf sensor, and one of the 90 couplers had a small hole in it. So as soon as the pipes come back from jet hotting I'll see if I get some boost back. No power lost was noticed even with the leaks!
Old 06-10-2004, 06:50 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by crewchief264
I am running the 3.33 pulley and was seeing on cool nights 10-11 psi.
I've got the 3.33" and I saw a maximum of 9 psi without an intercooler.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:47 AM

so is it worth it to do a intercooler with a supercharger?
Old 06-10-2004, 02:03 PM

yes I feel It was totally worth it. As soon as I can afford it I'm getting 370cc and some type of fuel management system whether it be apexi,greddy jwt i don't know yet?
Old 06-10-2004, 03:00 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by crewchief264
I am running the 3.33 pulley and was seeing on cool nights 10-11 psi. with the intercooler I now only see 6-7psi. however I just took my pipes off and found a bolt had come out on the maf sensor, and one of the 90 couplers had a small hole in it. So as soon as the pipes come back from jet hotting I'll see if I get some boost back. No power lost was noticed even with the leaks!
You seriously were seeing 10-11 psi, before intercooling with leaks? What are you running exactly for mods? Forgive me, but I find that sort of hard to believe. I can understand maybe occasionally hitting 10psi. There are guys with 2.87 pullies that aren't getting very far passed 11-12psi. The 6-7psi sounds more believeable with a intercooler though. I know for sure with an intercooler on an S/C, your going to loose boost. Lost of power, maybe not since the charge temp is much cooler....what temps are you seeing after the charge goes throught the intercooler? You should probably dyno to give you some backup ya know.

S
Old 06-10-2004, 03:14 PM

I am gettin alot of pros and cons...
crewchief: I checked out your site..and its pretty cool...I've notice that you got a lot of cusp bends..what or how are you getting your boost? (autometer?) or the electronic one. just curious.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:05 PM

I would only see 10-11 psi @ night when it was cool. that was with 3.33 and cold air intake. between the 3.60 and the 3,33 i noticed ahuge difference in response, it would build 6psi at 3/4 throttle and if I wanted i could get 10 easy by planting my foot. However with the intercooler I noticed a lag (with 3.33-10psi pulley) that was like the 3.60 pulley. What I mean is that non intercooled the 3.33 pulley had awesome throttle reponse or "spool" compared with the 3.60 pulley. With the intercooler I have noticed I lost that initial throttle response I had with the 3.33 pulley non intercooled, but have lost no "seat of the pants" power I honestly feel faster/same intercooled with 3.33 than I did with it non intercooled. the reason i did the intercooler is because I felt 10psi no-cooled was too much. (imean the guy I the kit from blew a head gasket running the 3.33) so I wanted to be safe on my 140000 maxima. So I think to my next step is to upgrade injectors to either 370cc to 550cc ???comment???? based on attached website worksheet. and some type of piggy back. whats the gest bang for the buck??apexi???greddy?JWT-seems like a rip off-i don't feel confident "AT ALL" in thier work. WHY WOULD IT TAKE SO LONG TO GET A ECU PROGRAMMED. I mean its not like like they can really "tune" it withour the car there. Every car is different, and no mod is the same as far as tuning is concerning so sending an ecu in just doesnt seem to make sense. I stand by you can't tune a car with a computer without a car. Please reply??
Old 06-11-2004, 12:36 PM
living out of a maxima...

It takes a long time because they have to solder another board onto the computer. The program they use is a generic boosted program, but has worked pretty well for many people here. The other advantage with the JWT ECU is they can reprogram it to use a Z32 MAF along with the bigger injectors.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
You seriously were seeing 10-11 psi, before intercooling with leaks? What are you running exactly for mods? Forgive me, but I find that sort of hard to believe. I can understand maybe occasionally hitting 10psi. There are guys with 2.87 pullies that aren't getting very far passed 11-12psi. The 6-7psi sounds more believeable with a intercooler though. I know for sure with an intercooler on an S/C, your going to loose boost. Lost of power, maybe not since the charge temp is much cooler....what temps are you seeing after the charge goes throught the intercooler? You should probably dyno to give you some backup ya know.

S
I do believe you might loose some boost but your car should run cooler and that should give you HP gain am I right.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:22 PM

your right the cooler air does make difference, a big one. the only draw bac is that you won't build boost as quick, and not quite as much0--autometer mechanical-- however it still pulled just as hard as it did while running 10 psi non intercooled.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:03 PM

It seems to me that loosing 3 or 4lbs of boost when intercooling although may seem like alot really isn't too bad considering how far away the intercooler is being mounted from the throttle body. You could drastically reduce the amount of boost lost if you were able to intercool closer to the inlet of the throttle body. I think thats why a powercooler would be the optimal idea as long as you could get decent airflow to it because it mounts closer to the throttle body. I was just reading an article where a vortech S/C was installed on a Z3 roadster & they were loosing 4.4lbs. of boost with the intercooler. They fabricated a new intercooler that was able to mount closer to the throttle body & the end result was only a 0.3lb. loss of boost. Another thing I would like to know is are any of you running electric fans mounted to the intercoolers to help draw more air through? And have any of you thought about converting to speed density instead of MAF?
Old 06-17-2004, 08:21 PM

interesting.....
Old 06-18-2004, 04:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
... I was just reading an article where a vortech S/C was installed on a Z3 roadster & they were loosing 4.4lbs. of boost with the intercooler. They fabricated a new intercooler that was able to mount closer to the throttle body & the end result was only a 0.3lb. loss of boost.
The only way an intercooler mounted closer to a throttle body can result in less boost loss is 1) if the piping from intercooler to throttle body resulted in 4.1 psi of pressure drop, or 2) the new intercooler was a better design and resulted in less pressure drop through it. The former seems highly unlikely, so I'll bet a donut it was just a matter of a freer flowing intercooler, not that it was mounted closer to the throttle body.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:16 PM

Stephen Max,
I'm not the wisest when it comes to boosting vehicles, but I do have some slight knowledge that allows me to understand the concept. So you are more then likely correct, but I just want to provide the information in the article I was talking about so everyone can form there own opinions.
Euro Tuner Magazine (Winter 2000 Vol. 1 No. 1)

"To one up himself, Osh's ever tinkering mind has devised a intercooler system that cools the air just before it enters the intake manifold. The new design allows the cooler to fit after the supercharger & just before the throttle body. To increase cooling effiency Osh develop a fan system that mounts just behind the intercooler & is activated when ever the supercharger spools. This new design has been tested to reduce intake tempatures between 85 - 100 degrees. The reason the tempature drop is so dramatic is the cooled air charge travels a shorter distance before entering the engine. Because the cooled air travels less time before entering the engine this results in a decrease in pressure drop. With our previous intercooler setup (stage 1) we measured a pressure drop of 4.4lbs & with the newly devised intercooler setup (stage 2) our pressure drop has been reduced significantly to only 0.3lbs.

Then the article goe's on to talk about ripping the pavement apart under 1/4 throttle and some other stuff! I don't want to cause any problems here, I just want to see what other people think about different setup's.