Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Greddy Type S BOV S vs. HKS SSQ BOV

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 08:17 PM

Greddy Type S BOV S vs. HKS SSQ BOV

I'm in the process of purchasing a BOV and wanted to know what you guys would prefer.Both have similar sounds but I know that the Greddy is a recirculating Bov but what about the quality compared to HKS? Which would you prefer?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:16 AM

Bump.......................
Old 06-15-2004, 09:11 AM

Besides this being covered before I'm sure (because I wrote a response once) Unless Greddy has changed their construction, the HKS and Apexi are both pull type BOV's rather than everything else being a push type. Eventually w/ the push type you can develop a boost leak. With a pull type they are to my knowledge able to hold a lot more boost. My experience w/ the HKS is awesome. Even when building boost and getting 0 psi or 1-2 psi, I'll barely hear it go off. The same goes when I'm running full boost. Check with each manufacturer as they have a certain boost limit. The apexi is something like 20 psi or 25 and the HKS is something like 35psi.
The others I believe hold less than 20 and have heard in the range of 15.
btw, highly doubful the greddy will sound like the HKS ssqv. that's a one of a kind sound.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:06 PM

Thanks alot, I really appreciate it.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How does the HKS SSQV Blowoff valve sound ?? I know its one of the top BOV that you can buy and the sound is hard to explain...

-matt
Old 06-15-2004, 07:34 PM

The boost limit of the BOV is not going to matter to us unless we plan on building and engine that can handle that kind of boost. Both of them can recirculate air and both sound good.

I like the HKS. Yes it does have a one of a kind sound and you can also change the insert so it makes a different sound. Bummer that my HKS doesn't even make a sound (since i have the recirculation tube on it).
Old 06-15-2004, 08:03 PM

Hey Pimpjuice I might need some things to buy from you,HKS BOV,Apexi,FPR, Boost Controler and maybe walbro in tank fp255 if you can beat $99 and autometer guages colbalt series.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by pimpjuice
The boost limit of the BOV is not going to matter to us unless we plan on building and engine that can handle that kind of boost. Both of them can recirculate air and both sound good.

I like the HKS. Yes it does have a one of a kind sound and you can also change the insert so it makes a different sound. Bummer that my HKS doesn't even make a sound (since i have the recirculation tube on it).
PIMPJ is weird you cant hear your BOV with recirculation valve installed. I have the recirculation and is still very loud dont know what you did that I did not do

The HKS hands down. The Greddy outlet is way too large for a recirculation valve.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Hind

I had a Greddy Type-S BOV, sounded nice. I would have gotten a HKS now that I have had the Type S. Type S getts alittle annoying after a while.

Old 06-15-2004, 09:45 PM

Looks like I'm going with HKS
Old 06-16-2004, 03:52 AM

Anyone know a place where they sell HKS SSQ for a reasonable price? I went to www.Blowoffvalves.com, but I think I can find better prices.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by matty
How does the HKS SSQV Blowoff valve sound ?? I know its one of the top BOV that you can buy and the sound is hard to explain...

-matt
I don't have full internet access where I am but go to boostsolutions.com (or .net.... it may even be boost-solutions.com / .net )
If that doesn't work do a goodle search for it. Anyways, his site has sounds of mostly all the BOV's
Old 06-16-2004, 07:56 AM

http://64.49.247.187/index.asp?PageA...PROD&ProdID=35

$210 pick STEEL FLANGE total cost $250

-matt
Old 06-16-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by PharoNDmist
Anyone know a place where they sell HKS SSQ for a reasonable price? I went to www.Blowoffvalves.com, but I think I can find better prices.
I can get you the HKS, and the other stuff you listed earlier. Just PM me with what you want and I will get you setup.

Jay,

I can still hear the BOV, but not like I could before. I can hear my wastegate real well though. The greddy tube is a giant, I think its 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.

QUESTION:

Where is everybody's screw set to on the HKS?
All the way in, all the way out or somewhere in the middle?
Old 06-16-2004, 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=pimpjuice]I can get you the HKS, and the other stuff you listed earlier. Just PM me with what you want and I will get you setup.

Cool.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by pimpjuice

QUESTION:

Where is everybody's screw set to on the HKS?
All the way in, all the way out or somewhere in the middle?
I have about 3-4 threads left on both of mine and I'm running 15 psi fine. HKS don't need adjusting out of the box but I hated hearing it loud at 1 psi. kinda annoying
Old 06-16-2004, 08:42 PM

So the loudest BOV for a S/C application will be the HKS ?? I want the loudest and heard Requins car last week, Vortch BOV, and his car is loud

-matt
Old 06-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Large Member

The Greddy type S is weak when it comes to higher boost. From everything I have heard and read it isn't that great for anything over 1bar. I had a friend with a gst eclipse that reported problems over 1bar as well. It's still perfectly fine for running lower boost though.

The HKS SSQV is much better and able to handle quite a bit more boost. With the stock 3 fin insert, IMO, it makes a ridiculous noise (choo-choo-choo-choo, very ricey if you ask me). You can simply remove this insert and use none if venting to the atmosphere, and it will just make a (pssssssst) sound. Or, if recirculating, you can just use the recirc. fitting for the same sound yet much more quiet. The HKS SSQV is different though, since it has 2 valves that open. 1 opens at low pressures and the larger one opens at higher pressures. Running full throttle, it will make more of a psssst sound and partial throttle it makes a "rattlesnake" sound, which IMO sounds kind of cool. Here's a sound of the SSQV SSQV I believe it has the stock 3 fin insert. At partial throttle this is a very good example of the "rattlesnake" sound it makes.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:29 PM

so thats what the SSQV BOV will sound like on our cars even with the insert removed ?? I dont think I like that at all..My buddy had one I think on his VW 1.8T and I never knew the name of the BOV, but i remember I didnt like it

-matt
Old 06-17-2004, 08:54 PM

The clip sounds cool, but I heard a whistle sound from HKS before, this one dosen't have that. Which insert has the whistle sound? And where buy additional inserts from?
Old 06-18-2004, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by PharoNDmist
The clip sounds cool, but I heard a whistle sound from HKS before, this one dosen't have that. Which insert has the whistle sound? And where buy additional inserts from?
Don't buy it for sound!!!
The HKS has 3 sound rings. the standard silver which gives you the bird getting a$$ raped sound. A purple which I believe lowers the wistle, and a gold which makes it higher pitced than the standard silver.
Taking out the sound ring gives you more of a rattlesnake sound as mentioned... it's not loud IMO but it's serving it's PURPOSE which is to vent the air.
If you really want to be cool you an get 2 or 3 different BOV's and line them up in series that way you'll have 3 awesome sounds...
Old 06-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Large Member

Originally Posted by matty
so thats what the SSQV BOV will sound like on our cars even with the insert removed ?? I dont think I like that at all..My buddy had one I think on his VW 1.8T and I never knew the name of the BOV, but i remember I didnt like it

-matt

No, that's what it sounds like WITH the insert in it. If you simply remove this insert, it stops making that dumb chirping noise which is very "un-manly" IMO. Yeah, don't just buy it just for sound. Sounding good is something to consider but I wouldn't base everything on that. I went with SSQV's because I like the pull type design and the fact that it prevents leaking. On top of that, yes I am slightly a ricer, but I like that rattlesnake sound.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:07 PM

I'm not buying for sound, I was just unaware that there were different sound inserts for the Bov. I mainly whant the HKS because of the pull type design.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:49 PM

(this is vortechpower) I have had the HKS on my s/c and I was not too pleased. The drivability was not as good . The HKS does not let air flow like most of the other bov's which makes it feel jerky and I was experiencing air going back through the s/c. It def didnt sound all that great either. I have a blitz now and its just right, gives a nice air sound. But you get what you want, I had the luxury of swaping with friends and trying all of them for no cost.