Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Cartech FMU Installation Instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 07:23 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Cartech FMU Installation Instructions?

The fmu has made it across the border this morning and is almost in my hands.

Can anyone provide me with pics and instructions on how to install this baby?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This might help.

One thing to be mindful of is that the boost bleeder will leak air out of the vacuum line during boost, so if you have it teed into the same line that your boost gauge is teed into, your boost gauge will show lower boost than actual. So it's better to connect the vacuum line going to the Cartech fmu into its own dedicated vacuum source, if you can.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:21 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Thanks Stephen Max!
Here's my noobie question of the day:
From what I see in your pic, the stock Vortech fmu is no longer used?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:07 AM

The Cartech FMU replaces the Vortech FMU...no need to use two FMU's

-matt
Old 06-08-2004, 10:12 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Thanks matty!

So, is this the point where everyone upgrades to a Walbro or can I stay with the stock fuel pump?

Bummer! I have a new and unused 8:1 disc for the Vortech fmu in the wings...
Old 06-08-2004, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Thanks matty!

So, is this the point where everyone upgrades to a Walbro or can I stay with the stock fuel pump?

Bummer! I have a new and unused 8:1 disc for the Vortech fmu in the wings...
The stock fuel pump can't generate more than about 60-64 psi by itself. If you are not going to use the aux in-line pump you need the Walbro.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:58 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Dang! UPS came a-knocking but no one's home.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:24 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Ok, I've got the fmu and a little bag of parts for it. I noticed that there was a real tiny plastic piece, kind of shaped like a tiny top with a hole running down the middle of it. The instructions that came with it are the same that I can find on the web. Any idea what that is for?

Setup looks straight forward as shown in Stephen Max's pic above. Now I'm curious about after I have it hooked up. Should I be getting it tuned once that is in or can I put that off and drive around and tune at a later date?
Old 06-11-2004, 07:31 AM

Ok, I've got the fmu and a little bag of parts for it. I noticed that there was a real tiny plastic piece, kind of shaped like a tiny top with a hole running down the middle of it. The instructions that came with it are the same that I can find on the web. Any idea what that is for?

Setup looks straight forward as shown in Stephen Max's pic above. Now I'm curious about after I have it hooked up. Should I be getting it tuned once that is in or can I put that off and drive around and tune at a later date?
That top shaped piece sounds like the check valve, which is attached to the bleeder valve with a bit of hose, like in the picture above. Although I wouldn't call mine tiny. Can you blow through it one direction but not the other?

You can drive around with the fmu installed and untuned if you don't boost. The fmu only affects fuel pressure when boosting and just before the onset of boost, depending on how you have the preload set. Eventually you will need to dynotune before doing any serious boosting.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:41 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
That top shaped piece sounds like the check valve, which is attached to the bleeder valve with a bit of hose, like in the picture above. Although I wouldn't call mine tiny. Can you blow through it one direction but not the other?
Oh no, not that one in the pic. There's a really tiny piece that was in the bag. Same beige color as a typical pc. I wonder if that's a backup part for the check valve? Too bad I didn't take pics last night.

You can drive around with the fmu installed and untuned if you don't boost. The fmu only affects fuel pressure when boosting and just before the onset of boost, depending on how you have the preload set. Eventually you will need to dynotune before doing any serious boosting.
So boosting is a no-no until I get dynotuned then? Hmmm...In that case I think I'll put that in later on when I swap in the 3.125" pulley. Thanks for your help, Stephen Max!
Old 06-11-2004, 05:26 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

This is what I'm talking about:

Old 06-14-2004, 04:09 AM

This is what I'm talking about:

I didn't get one of those when I bought mine, but mine was used. I think that may be a restrictor for the check valve.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:25 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I didn't get one of those when I bought mine, but mine was used. I think that may be a restrictor for the check valve.
Yep, you're right! The documentation states that on the occasion that the regulators will not adjust to sufficiently low rates of gain the small restrictor is to be added to the signal line. It is non-directional and can point either way.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:26 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

there's something similar that comes in the aem fpr too, but theyre threaded
Old 07-11-2004, 07:30 PM

that was in the vaccum hose before the check valve on my setup..I took it out ??