Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Supercharger: A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 07:15 PM

Supercharger: A Few Questions

1) Is Stillen the only company that makes a supercharger for the 4th generation Maxes? (Please don't tell me my only option is to buy off the rip-off artist company.)

2) Tranny and engine are doing great on my '97 SE with 120K miles...would I regret adding a supercharger cuz of potential engine/tranny problems that could happen? Is it work the risk?

3) How would gas mileage be with the SC? I currently get 26 miles to the gallon but I fear that's cuz it could be running lean- this will be taken care of when I get my ECU grade though.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:39 PM
Sports Button FTW

my experience with my blower is this....

Engine can definitely take it. I have 160k miles and have had the blower for almost 5k now if not a little longer. Tranny died on me, thats the main worry, our trannies are weak but as long as u drive like a human, dont go too crazy and dont get a clutch that will annihilate your tranny if u go super hard, your ok. Gas mileage...i cant really say cause i havent really been easy for an entire tank to say i'm getting the same amount. Maintenance is your biggest problem, not necessarily with the supercharger but with the car. Everything gets more expensive. You have to use expensive gas, change oil a lot faster, plus problems seem to pop up a lot. It could be cause of my car but i've had a lot of issues, others havent. I still think its worth it and if i had to sell parts of my car desperately for money, supercharger would not be in the top 5 even though its the most expensive item on the car.

Definitely go for it but only if u have the money to take care of the aftershocks and if u are ready to learn how it works and ready to take on the labor. I sure wasnt...but still in the game
Old 08-24-2004, 09:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ChuckDaMaxRider
1) Is Stillen the only company that makes a supercharger for the 4th generation Maxes? (Please don't tell me my only option is to buy off the rip-off artist company.)

2) Tranny and engine are doing great on my '97 SE with 120K miles...would I regret adding a supercharger cuz of potential engine/tranny problems that could happen? Is it work the risk?

3) How would gas mileage be with the SC? I currently get 26 miles to the gallon but I fear that's cuz it could be running lean- this will be taken care of when I get my ECU grade though.
1) Stillen is the the only company that makes a Supercharger for our cars. Your best bet is to find a complete used kit with gauges, smaller pulley, BOV, and all the fun stuff. Even if the blower has alot of milage, Vortech only charges $300 for a complete rebuilt. Yea, buying a kit from Stillen New is gonna run you about $3400 but then you have to figure in at least another $1500-$2000 for all the goodies that go along with it.

2) Does your engine burn any oil ?? Do a Compression Check and make sure your engine is in good shape

3) Alot of guys that have blowers dont have too too bad of gas milage as long as you dont boost every time you take off. It can be controlled !!

-matt
Old 08-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by matty
1) Stillen is the the only company that makes a Supercharger for our cars. Your best bet is to find a complete used kit with gauges, smaller pulley, BOV, and all the fun stuff. Even if the blower has alot of milage, Vortech only charges $300 for a complete rebuilt. Yea, buying a kit from Stillen New is gonna run you about $3400 but then you have to figure in at least another $1500-$2000 for all the goodies that go along with it.

2) Does your engine burn any oil ?? Do a Compression Check and make sure your engine is in good shape

3) Alot of guys that have blowers dont have too too bad of gas milage as long as you dont boost every time you take off. It can be controlled !!

-matt
Actually, Vortech makes the supercharger.... but i'm sure you know this...

If you think about it, the only thing that's unique to the Stillen kit, is the blower's mounting plate. Every other piece to Stillen's "kit" can be bought elsewhere. Even the piping can be done at a muffler shop.

Basically, there are 3 reasons the Stillen kit is so popular:

1) Mounting plate.
2) Kit includes everything - no having to shop around
3) Plug and Play - no needing to do research about setting up the SC, pipes, etc.

If you can purchase the mounting plate by itself, or if you want to fab one, you don't have to get the stillen kit...