Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Have emmissions this month.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have emmissions this month.

Just want to verify one more time...make sure I'm doing the right thing here.

Currently, in WA State if you have an ODBII type setup on your car (1996 and above) then they only scan your ECU for codes and that's all - they dont' do a pipe test.

So I need to pass emmissions - problem is I have a JWT ECU for running my 370cc Injectors and SC. I have a permanant unclearable 1005 code.

I've heard that I can put the stock ECU in and run on the 370cc Injectors if I unhook the SC and use a Z32 MAF instead of the A32 MAF.

This true? Does this work?

Or do I have to unhook the SC, re-install the stock injectors, and put the stock ECU back in to pass emmissions?
Old 09-05-2004, 12:51 AM

Sounds like too much effort for something unsure, dont ya know a person who knows a person if you know what i mean.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by desertmaxima
Sounds like too much effort for something unsure, dont ya know a person who knows a person if you know what i mean.
Nope - in WA, all emmissions systems are state run and fed into a database by scanning the barcode on your car door.

No way around it. I already have a Z32 MAF, so if that will work - then I'm good.

If not, I've got a good day or two of work ahead of me to pass emmissions.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:26 AM

Yea that does suck. See you should just move down to cali lol. Yea im not to sure how the emissions works out there. Here if you do it the right way as long as you dont throw a code and the guy who is doing the smog doesnt know the diff between MAF and whatever stuff and it can pass the sniffer then you are fine. One of my buddys went with a full B16 swap into his CRX and only prob was that he threw a code but he passed visual cause the mech didnt know the diff between a SOHC and DOHC honda motor. Good luck man Id hate to hear if you have to take yer car apart to put it to stock
Old 09-05-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by desertmaxima
Yea that does suck. See you should just move down to cali lol. Yea im not to sure how the emissions works out there. Here if you do it the right way as long as you dont throw a code and the guy who is doing the smog doesnt know the diff between MAF and whatever stuff and it can pass the sniffer then you are fine. One of my buddys went with a full B16 swap into his CRX and only prob was that he threw a code but he passed visual cause the mech didnt know the diff between a SOHC and DOHC honda motor. Good luck man Id hate to hear if you have to take yer car apart to put it to stock
That's the good part - in WA State they CAN'T pop your hood. So as long as it sounds like a normal car, they won't have any idea that there's an aftermarket anything (well, except exhaust) on the car.

So I just have to get it to where it won't throw a code...and runs somewhat normal - that's all.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:56 PM

Anyone else have anything to input?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:16 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by iansw
Just want to verify one more time...make sure I'm doing the right thing here.

Currently, in WA State if you have an ODBII type setup on your car (1996 and above) then they only scan your ECU for codes and that's all - they dont' do a pipe test.

So I need to pass emmissions - problem is I have a JWT ECU for running my 370cc Injectors and SC. I have a permanant unclearable 1005 code.

I've heard that I can put the stock ECU in and run on the 370cc Injectors if I unhook the SC and use a Z32 MAF instead of the A32 MAF.

This true? Does this work?

Or do I have to unhook the SC, re-install the stock injectors, and put the stock ECU back in to pass emmissions?
I'd throw in the Stock ECU and see if you get any codes.. make sure you drive for ~3 days or so

worse case you'll be a little rich.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

What do you mean "unclearable"? Any obdII code reader should be able to clear codes.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:42 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
What do you mean "unclearable"? Any obdII code reader should be able to clear codes.

You clear it it comes right back.

I have the same issue, different code
Old 09-07-2004, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bags
You clear it it comes right back.

I have the same issue, different code
Actually, I clear it, don't even start the car, and it's still there. (And yes, I know the procedure and I'm doing it right - I've done i about 100 times on my car before this ECU and others).

It's basically impossible to get 0505. This is the curse of being a 97 with a JWT ECU.

I can't just slap the stock ECU back in - I'm running 370cc Injectors and a SuperCharger with no FMU because the JWT controls that.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:52 AM

We need to dig up some older threads, I know we decided to have you try something.

I have the a32 MAF, walbro, 370s, APR with FP lowered. I run perfect.

I think we were gonna have you swap ECUs back to stock. I think we determined that as long as you didn't go WOT you would fuction enough to pass the test? You would run z32 MAF, 370s, and stock ECU.

Let me see what I can find. :>

EDIT:
I have found a few threads, but not the one I am looking for.

Your for sure route would be to use my current setup.
I still cannot find where someone used the z32maf, a32 ecu, and 370s. I think Stephen did, but with an AFC to correct things? :\

EDIT 2:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=296185
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=288529
Old 09-07-2004, 12:07 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

If you use the stock ecu - you should be fine - only issue is running rich b/c of the 370's at idle - you have an adjustable fpr?.... even without it, you should still be ok
Old 09-07-2004, 02:14 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Actually, I clear it, don't even start the car, and it's still there. (And yes, I know the procedure and I'm doing it right - I've done i about 100 times on my car before this ECU and others).

It's basically impossible to get 0505. This is the curse of being a 97 with a JWT ECU.

I can't just slap the stock ECU back in - I'm running 370cc Injectors and a SuperCharger with no FMU because the JWT controls that.
I was thinking that drive under NO boost with the 370's and everything should be fine
Old 09-07-2004, 06:47 PM

I think I heard something somewhere about Z32 MAF + Stock ECU + 370's with NO FPR works fine....which is what I'm trying to verify.

Mainly I don't want to spend a bunch on an FPR I'll only use for 1 emmissions test.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Prodeje79
I still cannot find where someone used the z32maf, a32 ecu, and 370s. I think Stephen did, but with an AFC to correct things? :\
I did, but you don't need to make corrections if you don't boost.

For the record:

370cc/min injectors, Z32 maf, oem fuel pressure (34 psi base), A32 ecu results in perfect stoichiometric afr when cruising and idling. It goes lean at about 5000 rpm when at WOT and boosting.

So, Ian, with this setup you should be able to drive to the test station no problemo.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:59 AM

Damn...that's the next problem.

My Walbro FP makes my car do 40PSI at idle.

Or maybe it's the JWT ECU doing that...hmmmmm....guess I'll find out!

Thanks Stephen!
Old 09-09-2004, 12:20 PM

Damn...that's the next problem.

My Walbro FP makes my car do 40PSI at idle.

Or maybe it's the JWT ECU doing that...hmmmmm....guess I'll find out!

Thanks Stephen!
Yes, the Walbro will result in higher than oem fuel pressure. It doesn't matter, though. I've had base fuel pressure as high as 44 psi and I still get 14.7:1 at idle. The ecu controls afr as well as idle speed in closed loop.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

A32 ECU, Z32 MAF in, don't go WOT, and leave everything else, ie SC, 370cc, etc, alone...I thought we already agreed on this.

Your only issue was getting the Z32 MAF to work, right?
Old 09-19-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
A32 ECU, Z32 MAF in, don't go WOT, and leave everything else, ie SC, 370cc, etc, alone...I thought we already agreed on this.

Your only issue was getting the Z32 MAF to work, right?
I unhooked the SC - I don't want to accidentally forget I can't boost then pop my engine or something.

But otherwise - I did it today - everything works great.

A32 (stock) ECU
370cc Injectors
Z32 MAF
SC unhooked

Car drives perfectly, no codes. Even went WOT to 5500RPM just to see what would happen, and it was fine. Some fuel smell from the tailpipe, but very faint (ie: pretty normal)

FP is now at 36PSI.

Now I can go pass!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:49 PM

Hmmm...Interesting.

I found on an onramp that when going above 5k RPM - AFTER letting go of the gas and then gassing it again (like in a shift), the engine stutters....This unexploded fuel left over in teh cylinder or something?

Oh well - I'll just keep it under 4k for now...seems to run fine then.

Gotta drive it some more before I go get tested....dont' wanna be in open loop mode or anything....

Problem is I live 1 mile from work....so I'm just driving aorund in traffic after work every day to get some miles on.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:18 PM

I'd bet that's from the SC and piping restricting intake flow, but just a guess.

Yeah, take it easy until you get everything back together man.

Good luck and as long as the ECU isn't reset the night before and it has had time to do all its "emissions" checks, it should be ready to rock. I know my OBD scanner shows whether all the tests have been completed. It does take multiple trips to complete all of them, but if you have a scanner, you might try looking to see if any are pending still.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:49 PM

I do have a scanner, I borrowed it form maximase86's neighbor.

Don't know how to read it tho - I can see there are 0 codes, but there's a lot of other symbols on it I don't understand.

I'll google the model number and see if I can find a manual.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:57 PM

I love google.

It appears this one does do that. I scanned my car and only "C" <Catalyst> was flashing. When I first put the stock ECU in, everything was flashing. Not sure why nothing but Catalyst is now...(it should be nothing at all after 70 miles now) hmmm...I'll have to figure that out. May just be the way it is....

(See the link to know what I'm talking about...last set of pics at the bottom of the page)

http://www.troublecodes.net/articles...e_reader.shtml
Old 09-21-2004, 08:02 PM

Even better - the PDF manual...

http://www.iequus.com/assets/manuals/3100E.pdf
Old 09-21-2004, 09:13 PM

Ian,

Do you have a y-pipe? What about a main cat?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:17 PM

Ian,

Do you have a y-pipe? What about a main cat?
According to the manual for this thing, it shows pending codes (1-trip codes) when scanning and marks them as "Pending" - so it's interesting because it's not doing that. 0 Codes right now. 0 Codes on the 1st trip also. If there was something it had a problem with, that was causing the test to not complete, it should tell me that - I would think.

So I don't think it's really a problem with the Catalyst system right now, but just that I need to drive it aorund some more. Only time will tell I guess.

I have a Cattman 3" Y-Pipe and 3" Carsound Cat and 3" B-Pipe/Muffler.

I've never thrown a Cat or O2 code of any kind on the JWT ECU....and it reads the same <I believe> as a stock ECU in the case of the Catalyst.

If someone knows different, let me know....

Could also be an OEM specific signal that will make the "C" on the display always flash and it's no big deal.

Anyone else out there have an INNOVA 3100 Scanner?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:23 PM

Flashing, but no MIL means pending. 1-trip doesn't necessarily mean one on/off of the key.

Once you've drove enough to satisfy whatever "2nd-trip" is necessary, if the fault is still there, it will throw a MIL.

However, if the fault goes away, in "3-trips" the MIL will turn off, but it will take 40 "warm-up" periods to erase the DTC from memory once it turned off.

Sounds like you're in one of those limbo states or one of the other possible cases.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:29 PM

Flashing, but no MIL means pending. 1-trip doesn't necessarily mean one on/off of the key.

Once you've drove enough to satisfy whatever "2nd-trip" is necessary, if the fault is still there, it will throw a MIL.

However, if the fault goes away, in "3-trips" the MIL will turn off, but it will take 40 "warm-up" periods to erase the DTC from memory once it turned off.

Sounds like you're in one of those limbo states.
As I understand the manual, Flashing means it's in testing mode still after a reset. It takes 2 trips to stop flashing. If any error had been detected in any trip, then it would show as an actual Pxxxx code and say "Pending" (if the error was only detected on the most recent trip, or detected on the 1st trip, but not the 2nd, etc)....which after 3 25 mile drives, it is not....no codes in memory and I've tested after every trip.

That's what I'm trying to say - I realize a simple turn of the key or even short drive doesn't mean "trip". But every other 2-trip logic has been reset (nothing else is flashing) so that tells me the ECU has detected 2 trips....and I've made 3 long drives.

I'm obviously in a "limbo" state - the question is - after 3 trips and no codes, pending or otherwise - why?
Old 09-21-2004, 10:55 PM

I don't know. My guess is that you haven't satisfied the driving conditions needed for the ECU to say the cat is working normally. I say keep driving until either it completes or a code is stored because of your y-pipe/high-flow cat. Otherwise, your emissions tester might fail you according to other members horror stories or by looking under the car and seeing modificaitons.

I hope the laws change to force lazy ignorant emissions testers to understand that some ECUs can be flaky, yet still operate 100% within the sniffer limits, which is all that matters.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:57 PM

I don't know. My guess is that you haven't satisfied the driving conditions needed for the ECU to say the cat is working normally. I say keep driving until either it completes or a code is stored because of your y-pipe/high-flow cat. Otherwise, your emissions tester might fail you according to other members horror stories or by looking under the car and seeing modificaitons.

I hope the laws change to force lazy ignorant emissions testers to understand that some ECUs can be flaky, yet still operate 100% within the sniffer limits, which is all that matters.
Yeah - exactly what I'm doing...keep driving - see what happens.

In WA State you can have all the mods you want as long as you have a Cat. Which I do. So it shouldn't be a problem.

Last time I went (2 yrs ago) I failed the ODBII Scan due to being in Open Loop mode. They then put me on the sniffer and I passed. ALthough the guy said that wasn't "procedure".

So I want to be sure before I go this time, since I may get some guy who doesn't want to be nice.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:06 PM

Yeah, if that test doesn't complete, you might try getting an O2-simulator for the rear sensor(Fed spec, right?) to trick it into thinking you have a cat inbetween the front 02 and rear 02.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:28 PM

I found a loophole

Reading the WA State Ordinance on Emmissions testing it says:

"If a 1996 through 2000 model year vehicle has THREE or more readiness monitors not set to ready, the vehicle is rejected."

So even with this one, I should pass.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:33 AM

So I went this morning with that "Catalyst" monitor still not ready.

I passed!...like it says above, as long as I have less than 3 monitors not ready, it's OK.

Then as I was pulling out of the emmissions station I hit a large bump and knocked the MAF harness loose (I didn't clip it down because it's temporary), causing the car to run like azz and a CEL. I drifted down the hill out of sight, reconnected it and drove home.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:49 AM

Hahaha....now get that SC back up.

Not too painful a process only once a year.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:01 PM

Actually, in WA, it's every OTHER year.

I wonder what those emissions station guys thought of the black cloud of smoke that ensued.

No takebacks!
Old 09-22-2004, 02:59 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Should have left everything on.. glad to know you passed.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:17 PM

Couldn't leave everything on - I had a code with the JWT.

1005 - EVAP Solenoid Circuit Fault.

They would have failed me immediately if I had that when I went in.

Theo nly thing I did have when I did go in was that the Catalysts 2-trip test hadn't completed - I didn't have any codes.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:48 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I ment everything but the JWT ecu

Couldn't leave everything on - I had a code with the JWT.

1005 - EVAP Solenoid Circuit Fault.

They would have failed me immediately if I had that when I went in.

Theo nly thing I did have when I did go in was that the Catalysts 2-trip test hadn't completed - I didn't have any codes.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bags
I ment everything but the JWT ecu
And the A32 MAF,

So basically you're saying "should have left the SC hooked up."

Which I didn't want to risk.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:16 PM

bags/iansw,

This should be added to the boosted FAQs, ie "How To Pass Emissions" or something.

Others will be needing to do this, I'm sure.