Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Atmospheric BOV vs recirc

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:02 AM

Atmospheric BOV vs recirc

how many of you actually have an atmospheric BOV? I have been planning on a recirc, but if it's feasable, with the MAF on the non-charged side, I'd like to be able to hear my Blitz super sound, not at the cost of performance.

what are your experiences, and what is your advice?

Nate
Old 09-15-2004, 06:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nateplaysbass
how many of you actually have an atmospheric BOV? I have been planning on a recirc, but if it's feasable, with the MAF on the non-charged side, I'd like to be able to hear my Blitz super sound, not at the cost of performance.

what are your experiences, and what is your advice?

Nate
Why do you want the MAF on the non-charged side?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:20 AM

I run atmos. , but with a charged MAF.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Why do you want the MAF on the non-charged side?
I've heard of people having problems with the MAF on the charged side, maybe that was just the SC guys though...

although, in the long run, I will probably be running a recirc system. for reasoning I won't say for the sake of getting flamed.

Nate
Old 09-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've heard of people having problems with the MAF on the charged side, maybe that was just the SC guys though...

although, in the long run, I will probably be running a recirc system. for reasoning I won't say for the sake of getting flamed.

Nate
Everybody with a supercharged 4th gen, is running the maf on the charged side with no problems.

For a while I tried running the maf on the noncharged side with a recirc system and I had problems because the maf was too close to the blower inlet. I haven't had any problems since moving it back to the charged side.

I know on some boards they think the maf won't survive on the charged side, but apparently that isn't true for 4th gen mafs, at least at the boost levels we are running.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:17 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Nate

Stephen said it perfect. My BOV is Atmosphere and Maf on the charged side.

Your 4th gen wants the MAF on the charged side
Old 09-15-2004, 03:12 PM

oh, cool! Thanks guys,

Nate
Old 09-15-2004, 04:11 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Just FYI, I ran a vortech V1 @10psi on my '95 Max 5spd for about a year or so with the MAF on the charged side with a Blitz BOV without any problems whatsoever. Ran smooth as stock.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:56 PM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

my maf is not charged....what problems are you talking about? stalling when the bov goes off, when your at low speeds? i thought that was just a recirc problem not a maf issue
Old 09-20-2004, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by pawnstar12
my maf is not charged....what problems are you talking about? stalling when the bov goes off, when your at low speeds? i thought that was just a recirc problem not a maf issue
Wouldn't the car run excessively rich when the BOV fires, it there is no recirc. I had someone tell me to put the MAF on the non-charged side, so I assumed I needed a recirc system. Then I heard all the guys talking about hearing their BOV's, and I'm like "HUH?" so here's where my thread starts...

I'm going to put the MAF on the charged side.

Nate
Old 09-20-2004, 10:20 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

i love my bov sound so i was just dealing with it. i learned to drive so it doesnt stall. beside the afc2 option, which works .3% of the time the maf positon is the only other option huh?
Old 09-20-2004, 11:48 AM

My brother vq30des has a 2001 with a non chrg maf and a blitz bov in the atmosphere and does just fine. Has the long intake over the charged pipe and it sounds like a beast
Old 09-20-2004, 12:22 PM

Wouldn't the car run excessively rich when the BOV fires, it there is no recirc. I had someone tell me to put the MAF on the non-charged side, so I assumed I needed a recirc system. Then I heard all the guys talking about hearing their BOV's, and I'm like "HUH?" so here's where my thread starts...

I'm going to put the MAF on the charged side.

Nate
you should have your maf closest to the tb possible to get the most accurate reading. if you decide to use a bov then make sure you have the air exit before the maf otherwise you will have a reading for certain amount of air to apply fuel to but the air is being released so you will be a little rich for a moment after your tb opens back up. if you use a recirc. valve you will not have this problem of running rich because there is no loss of pressure as the air is directed back into the pipe instead of being eliminated by being released into the atmosphere.