Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Cartech FMU and SAFC2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 02:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cartech FMU and SAFC2?

This is a funny question and I am assuming thier is a simple answer to it, however I was curious how the two systems work together.

The reason I am curious is I have purchased a Blitz SBC-ID Boost Controller and I believe it has the ablity to have (4) Preset Boost Levels, I also have a Cartech FMU.

So, If I was to select my desired Boost Level and had the car Dyno Tuned using the Cartech all of my Air and Fuel levels would be correct for that amount of boost. But, what happens if I change the level of Boost to another preset level, do my Air / Fuel Levels for my previous Boost setting no longer apply?

IIRC, the SAFC2 has the ablity to also have (4) Preset Settings so If I wanted to toggle from each Boost level would I have to have a corresponding Air / Fuel Level for each?

How is the Cartech adjusted then, if the SAFC2 Changes the settings?

Sorry for the Newbie Q, I tried to make it as most understandable as possiable.

JP
Old 09-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

The Cartech is a boost dependent fuel pressure regulator. If you dynoed, then up the psi, it will still add additional fuel, however it probably won't be perfect and will require AFC corrections.

So, dyno tune at the first boost setting using the AFC map #1 and then dyno tune at the second boost setting using the AFC map #2. Personally, I'd tune the first map to be daily driven level and the second map for rare occasions of higher boost and high octane fuel.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:16 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by SpeedCrazie
This is a funny question and I am assuming thier is a simple answer to it, however I was curious how the two systems work together.

The reason I am curious is I have purchased a Blitz SBC-ID Boost Controller and I believe it has the ablity to have (4) Preset Boost Levels, I also have a Cartech FMU.

So, If I was to select my desired Boost Level and had the car Dyno Tuned using the Cartech all of my Air and Fuel levels would be correct for that amount of boost. But, what happens if I change the level of Boost to another preset level, do my Air / Fuel Levels for my previous Boost setting no longer apply?

IIRC, the SAFC2 has the ablity to also have (4) Preset Settings so If I wanted to toggle from each Boost level would I have to have a corresponding Air / Fuel Level for each?

How is the Cartech adjusted then, if the SAFC2 Changes the settings?

Sorry for the Newbie Q, I tried to make it as most understandable as possiable.

JP
Alex said it best and the SAFC 2 HAS (2) settings.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:19 PM

Well really it has three bags.

Off, Map #1, and Map #2.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:06 PM

So then If I am using the SAFC2 how should the Cartech be adjusted?

Thanks for the Help!

JP
Old 09-19-2004, 12:23 AM

That is a question for Stephen Max...
Old 09-20-2004, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedCrazie
So then If I am using the SAFC2 how should the Cartech be adjusted?

Thanks for the Help!

JP
You need to adjust the Cartech with the SAFC settings set to zero. The philosophy is to use the fmu as a coarse tuning ****, and the SAFC as a fine tuning ****. Once you get the fmu delivering the right amount of fuel pressure through the rpm range, then make fine corrections with the SAFC.

I wrote a fairly lengthy post on getting started with the Cartech fmu. It is in one of Matty's recent threads. I'll have to look for it.