Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Built bottom end, max hp/psi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 05:38 PM

Built bottom end, max hp/psi?

Ive been dreaming up a project for my maxima this summer and I've decided on going FI or 3.5 bottom end... or both (drool). A good number of my questions have been answered by previous posts but a few are still not groovy. Forgive if some of this is a
Now for the questions
The first though that poped into my head was if I went SC, making a custom setup with a larger SC since it seems that the stillen kit is capping out at 300ish whp. What problems/benifits could I see?
Second how much power would a VQ30DE with rods and pistons be able to hold? I know hal has put down 600whp on stock internals but thats with insanely good tuning (dont think im that good ) but with rods/pistons would I be able to run 15+psi and what would be the next thing to beef up if I were to run that much boost?
Third, what would a VQ35 with rods/pistons hold. Ive heard that 350z guys are throwing rods at little over 400 whp.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:59 PM

Well let me start by saying how much you planning to spend ? A built bottom end on anything exspecially the VQ/VG motors is (in theory) limitless to what it can hold. My best friend and I are in the wraps of our turbo 300ZX build using a pretty solidly built VG30DET. That should make around 500-550 BEFORE nitrous. So you should be expecting the same on your VQ. You shouldn't worry about throwing anything if you go ALLFORGED. Witch in anycase I would do, if you are planning on running more then 15PSI. Of course this is all what I have learned from experience on our Z build. Now I know of one pushing over 600HP running around where I live(VG30DET 300ZX). Actually I know the guy and he walks ppl all the time(Supra's,motorcycles,turbo anything.....). So as long as you take your time and spend the money.....you shouldn't have a problem with anything. Me I'm doing the same on my J30. My goal is to push over 500HP !!!!

~BB~
Old 12-03-2004, 07:43 PM
SLOW

If you want big power drop the idea of a supercharger right off the bat, unless you have some aversion to turbos or some strange desire to only have a supercharger setup. Turbos have more power potential, plain and simple. You can run 15psi on stock internals just fine if you have a decent tune. With high end aftermarket internals 25psi wouldn't be a problem at all 30+ is probably not even a problem with good tuning, but power holding capability lies in your tuning. If you are running 14:1 even with aftermarket internals you are going to blow your motor, period.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:35 PM

~Ditto~

TURBO...the replacement for displacement(if you're lacking)

~BB~
Old 12-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would like to see someone use a 3.5 bottom end and do a big bore 100 mm pistons with ported and polished 3.0 heads. Then dump like 250 shot of nitrous on it.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:03 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by Pimpmobile
Ive been dreaming up a project for my maxima this summer and I've decided on going FI or 3.5 bottom end... or both (drool). A good number of my questions have been answered by previous posts but a few are still not groovy. Forgive if some of this is a
Now for the questions
The first though that poped into my head was if I went SC, making a custom setup with a larger SC since it seems that the stillen kit is capping out at 300ish whp. What problems/benifits could I see?
Second how much power would a VQ30DE with rods and pistons be able to hold? I know hal has put down 600whp on stock internals but thats with insanely good tuning (dont think im that good ) but with rods/pistons would I be able to run 15+psi and what would be the next thing to beef up if I were to run that much boost?
Third, what would a VQ35 with rods/pistons hold. Ive heard that 350z guys are throwing rods at little over 400 whp.

#1 Did you know a moderator of this forum tried to get a BIGGER SC? He went the Turbo route. More like 375ish. Problem- overspining the blower benifit- less heat

#2 good question.. how much do you want to make? How many motors did Hal go through? How many trannies? How much PSI do most of the turbo guys run?

#3 Why are they throwing rods? How much power do you want?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bags
#1 Did you know a moderator of this forum tried to get a BIGGER SC? He went the Turbo route. More like 375ish. Problem- overspining the blower benifit- less heat

#2 good question.. how much do you want to make? How many motors did Hal go through? How many trannies? How much PSI do most of the turbo guys run?

#3 Why are they throwing rods? How much power do you want?
1# uh, didnt know that, thanks
2# 450-550 give or take, but only making that on the track (read boost control)
3# apparently nissan put in a batch of bad rods into the VQ35s, 350z guys have been throwing rods at little over 400whp with "good" tune while others are are holding just fine, just wondering in case I decide to go with a 3.5block first and then add lower compression pisonts when I go FI

thanks for all the input
Old 12-04-2004, 11:12 AM

the most effecient way to build the motor once you have reached the cap for the stock bottom end does not lie in simply rasing the boost. at the level of power we are talking about (500whp+++) it is essential to upgrade more than just pistons and rods. simply put, the more raw power you are making, the more benefit you will get from tuning, not to mention tuning becomes the single most important aspect on whether or not you blow your motor. the best way to get a decent amount of power after you have strengthened your bottom end is to upgrade the valvetrain. lighter valves/springs, more aggresive cams, and a far more involved tune will give you a monstrous amount of power. my suggestion to anyone that wishes to exceed the limits of the stock bottom end and venture forth into built motors, is first to fully build the motor. many people quickly disregard the top of the motor but is just as crucial as your rods/pistons. instead of throwing on a bigger block, the best way to advance our knowledge and the potential of this motor is to build it until there is nothing left to build... then, move on to creating a hybrid engine. if you do not have full knowledge of the base application, then you will never have the most effecient setup you can have.

of course, there is nothing wrong with being innovative and building crazy sh*t but remember there is still a massive amount of unexplored areas on this motor as it is. why add even more complications? best of luck with whatever direction you take it
Old 12-04-2004, 12:21 PM

Never could have said it better myself.....

~BB~
Old 12-04-2004, 08:34 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by Pimpmobile
1# uh, didnt know that, thanks
2# 450-550 give or take, but only making that on the track (read boost control)
3# apparently nissan put in a batch of bad rods into the VQ35s, 350z guys have been throwing rods at little over 400whp with "good" tune while others are are holding just fine, just wondering in case I decide to go with a 3.5block first and then add lower compression pisonts when I go FI

thanks for all the input

Welcome

I asked the tranny question for a reason. Mardigrasmax blew out 3rd gear. He had the a GREAT tune. SO it was the WHP/WTQ that broke the tranny, not the motor.

I think it has more to due with timing/Ign. Advance, than anything. BUT, that's my guess

I'd take baby steps and build slow. If your lucky mardi will find some more weak links for you to fix before you build. As the saying goes... To Boost or Not to Boost.... That's not the question. The question is do you have enough Captial to fund your decision.....
Old 12-04-2004, 09:52 PM

That's why you take your time, collect parts overtime, and research,research,research. You can go wong with "Measure Twice,Cut Once". Because the same thing goes for buildin cars,exspecially high HP cars.

~BB~
Old 12-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im sure the HP level had somthing to do with what happend to my 3rd gear. However I broke my own rule of doing back to back to back... hard runs. I was dialing in 15psi on th4e boost controler in 3rd after being beat on the highwayby an SS Camaro at 10psi (spool up issue with the .87ar ex housing). I was pissed and got greedy. After a few races I changed the BC setting and began the process of letting it learn the new setting. The gear blew after 8-10 hard back to back pulls including the race. I feel the it wasnt just the power but the heat build up on the gear that caused the break. The lesson to learn is that the stock parts will take relativly high power in a single drag race situation, but if they get heat soaked from somthing like road racing or back to back to back drag runs they will be weaker.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Blackbob
That's why you take your time, collect parts overtime, and research,research,research. You can go wong with "Measure Twice,Cut Once". Because the same thing goes for buildin cars,exspecially high HP cars.

~BB~

took it right outa my mouth
Old 12-05-2004, 08:46 AM

lol,sorry bout that

~BB~
Old 12-07-2004, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Im sure the HP level had somthing to do with what happend to my 3rd gear. However I broke my own rule of doing back to back to back... hard runs. I was dialing in 15psi on th4e boost controler in 3rd after being beat on the highwayby an SS Camaro at 10psi (spool up issue with the .87ar ex housing). I was pissed and got greedy. After a few races I changed the BC setting and began the process of letting it learn the new setting. The gear blew after 8-10 hard back to back pulls including the race. I feel the it wasnt just the power but the heat build up on the gear that caused the break. The lesson to learn is that the stock parts will take relativly high power in a single drag race situation, but if they get heat soaked from somthing like road racing or back to back to back drag runs they will be weaker.
mardi you are so right, im glad to hear im not the only one learning this. my engine blew form exactly what you described. i was out racing back to back to back killing everybody and by the end of the day my engine was toast. upon taking it apart we realized the crank gear tooth broke from heat stress causing my chain to slip and bent all my valves. normally i do a couple of runs and call it quits but got greedy because the car felt so powerful that nite. next time around i wont race like that or maybe will consider other cooling methods for the engine sooon.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:39 PM

ANd that's another thing.....(not to you directly C MaX)

But one thing I have noticed is that we tuners have a tendency to mod everything as far as the ENGINE is concerned and seem to forget about the little stuff. For example tranny coolers,oil coolers,engine grounds,tranny grounds,egnition,computer issues..etc. ..Then we N*&^$R rig everything else to work,Ok, and just figure"oh,I'll mod it later down the road"....NOOOO NOOO NON ONON ONO NO ...Take the time to get it all at once put it all in at once. OR BUY EVERYTHING BEFORE DOING ANYTHING . That way you cut down your down time of your car into NEARLY half. No waiting for the UPS guy just to be able to start you car. That way things like what was said above DON'T happen. Oh,and do be afraid and go the extra mile by saving up and buying TRUELY good stuff for your ride. If you do she/he will love you much more in the end.

~BB~
Old 12-08-2004, 03:47 AM

ANd that's another thing.....(not to you directly C MaX)

~BB~
its alright bob i deserved to get slapped cause your absolutely right. it never dawned on me the hp i had could be damaging and i figured i could get away with it. people have been telling me for a while to get a intercooler and other such things but i figured the cars running good so i will worry about it later now after two motors i think its time. when your dealing with heavy hp every little thing counts.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:22 AM
be the change u want2C

Yeah I was thinking about that, Building up a Hybrid VQ, With Neo Technology on both Exhaust and intake, then Turboing, Ofcourse Id try my best to keep the compresion the same, Then get a big @$$ turbo to compliment the new motor. Just want to see what you guys think of my idea.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
Yeah I was thinking about that, Building up a Hybrid VQ, With Neo Technology on both Exhaust and intake, then Turboing, Ofcourse Id try my best to keep the compresion the same, Then get a big @$$ turbo to compliment the new motor. Just want to see what you guys think of my idea.

I think it's awsome !!!!! but I would suggest to change up the compression though. Unless your not planning on running more then 20psi,me personally when I run boost I'm going to run like 25-30 pounds(yeah I know there is a destinc difference). I feel that if I'm gonna do it I'mma do it right and the way I want to do it . I'm not gonna P%^*$ foot around with 5,10,15 pounds. Hell,stock cars do that on the daily . Just make sure you TAKE YOUR TIME that's the most important. I HIGHLY suggest building a second motor in your garage somewhere(if you have one). Then over time buy everything you need and want(no matter how long it takes,in the end it will be worth it).

As for you C MAX,

Well three times does the charm,eh ? I hope this time you push even higher numbers and get the I/C you needed too...lol. BUt anyway let me know how it goes

~BB~
Old 12-10-2004, 11:48 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Yeah I was thinking about that, Building up a Hybrid VQ, With Neo Technology on both Exhaust and intake
NEO stands for Nissan Ecologically Oriented. It has nothing to do with performance. It just means it is more enviromentally friendly.

VVL stands for Variable Valve Lift. It is basically VTEC for nissans. It is a cam changing technology. It will boost top end power significantly. This is not in any standard nissan engine in the US. The SR series is the only engine series that I know of that has this technology.

CVTC? stands for Continuously Variable Timing Control (or something close). This is what the VQ35 has. It boosts power throughout the power band. It is a cam phasing system.

DI stands for direct injection. This sprays the fuel directly into the cylider allowing for better atomization of the fuel. This also allows for higher compression to be used with less chance of knock.

I assume you probably meant VVL or CVTC. It would be interesting to see what kind of gains this would provide. I think the VQ35 only has it on the intake.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm needing a caw

Um, maybe you have advanced degrees in mech/electrical engineering or something. Plus access to cad and cnc machines. And maybe 10-15 grand min to complete something like this. If not, you have NO chance in this god's green earth in completing such a project. You gonna re-engineer the ecu to accomodate all this?? You have ANY concept of how hard this would be??

So I'd appreciate (and others) if you didn't "talk out of your bung hole" about doing this or that unless you are seriously qualified to tackle it.

Old 12-10-2004, 03:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

No. This is the part where the people that actually know something about cars chime in and the people that don't, don't. Which are you?

So is this the part where you LOCK the thread ?

~BB~
Old 12-10-2004, 09:33 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Just about everything has some sort of v-tec

~BB~

the 1994-2001 maximas don't
Old 12-11-2004, 07:17 AM

i dont even know what the topic is anymore in this thread but to sum up the whole idea of the situation, this is a perfect sentance...

Originally Posted by C MAX
when your dealing with heavy hp every little thing counts.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:05 AM
be the change u want2C

Originally Posted by Jeff92se

So I'd appreciate (and others) if you didn't "talk out of your bung hole" about doing this or that unless you are seriously qualified to tackle it.
OMG it was just an idea, calm down guy
Old 12-12-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

Lots of ridiculas "ideas" clogging up this and the all motor forum. These sections were designed for members that want to discuss serious ideas/problems. It's NOT designed to explore your wild fantansies that you cannot possibily accomplish.

OMG it was just an idea, calm down guy
Sorry if you feel offended. But if that's what will keep these forums from getting clogged with nonsense posts, so be it.