Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Am I crazy for thinking this???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 07:56 PM
be the change u want2C

Am I crazy for thinking this???

Well I was wondering if anyone ever tried to make a Custom, Turbo-S/C kit for the Max, I was thinking about fitment issued and all, If there was nothing in the engine bay you didnt need for the engine to run, take out all the usless crap, get some custom made pipeing. (It would be a really small s/c) Well since the S/C is a low end beast, and a turbo doesnt kick in untill around 4-4.5k. Wouldnt the s/c spool the turbo at low rpm's. Although with all this extra air going in I think it would need atleast 550c injectors, a vi, and a really really big diamater for exhaust piping. It would cost a crap load but If its possible I think it would be the next best thing.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:34 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I'm gonna leave this open so I can read the replies
Old 12-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
Well I was wondering if anyone ever tried to make a Custom, Turbo-S/C kit for the Max, I was thinking about fitment issued and all, If there was nothing in the engine bay you didnt need for the engine to run, take out all the usless crap, get some custom made pipeing. (It would be a really small s/c) Well since the S/C is a low end beast, and a turbo doesnt kick in untill around 4-4.5k. Wouldnt the s/c spool the turbo at low rpm's. Although with all this extra air going in I think it would need atleast 550c injectors, a vi, and a really really big diamater for exhaust piping. It would cost a crap load but If its possible I think it would be the next best thing.

Since when is the centrifugal S/C a low-end beast? You need to stick to your Nis and Nos my friend.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

from every car forum ever know to man x infinity
Old 12-09-2004, 09:26 PM
be the change u want2C

I know this is a funny idea, but lets be serious,
My name Is Ninos Hence Ni_nos,
A s/c always has boost, am I right, So why not use a small s/c to spool a huge a$$ turbo
Old 12-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Sports Button FTW

interesting...stickies are your friend.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:00 PM

Dude you got your $hit all f###'d up. This place is starting to get dangerous with all of these custom kit ideas . Hell we've got longblocks being installed, stillen engine rebuild kits, what the hell is next a Skyline engine swap kit for a maxima. A word to the wise if your not 100% knowledgable you can beat your a$$ is gonna get busted on in here, so to anyone who has a little custom project cooked up you may want to think twice before posting
Old 12-09-2004, 10:05 PM

I know this is a funny idea, but lets be serious,
My name Is Ninos Hence Ni_nos,
A s/c always has boost, am I right, So why not use a small s/c to spool a huge a$$ turbo

Ni_nos=what?

if this were even remotley possible or worth doing you are going about it backwards. You would probably want the small turbo to spool for quicker boost while the S/C reaches full boost at redline. Hell i don't know this just nucking futts
Old 12-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Don't just start a thread for the sake of starting them. Playing "what if" is interesting sometimes, but unless you are 1. Actually going to try it 2. Have an idea how it could be done 3. have a clue what your talking about, then things are best left unsaid.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:21 PM
be the change u want2C

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Dude you got your $hit all f###'d up. This place is starting to get dangerous with all of these custom kit ideas . Hell we've got longblocks being installed, stillen engine rebuild kits, what the hell is next a Skyline engine swap kit for a maxima. A word to the wise if your not 100% knowledgable you can beat your a$$ is gonna get busted on in here, so to anyone who has a little custom project cooked up you may want to think twice before posting
Daym dood calm your mr. happy pants. WTH is wrong with you snapping like that, First of all I wasnt talking about buying some stupid kit. Second of All I was talking about custom fabricating it, just exploring posibilities, I believe If there is enouph money anything is possible, and If you dont why in the hell did you start modding your max.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:24 PM
be the change u want2C

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Don't just start a thread for the sake of starting them. Playing "what if" is interesting sometimes, but unless you are 1. Actually going to try it 2. Have an idea how it could be done 3. have a clue what your talking about, then things are best left unsaid.
Yeah, I think I should do that, I just wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas about this, and how to go about doing it.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:36 PM

Daym dood calm your mr. happy pants. WTH is wrong with you snapping like that, First of all I wasnt talking about buying some stupid kit. Second of All I was talking about custom fabricating it, just exploring posibilities, I believe If there is enouph money anything is possible, and If you dont why in the hell did you start modding your max.

I wasn't just reffering to your post. I was reffering to yours as well as the others i have seen in the past week or so. Don't take this as me busting your chops, but as giving you some helpful advice. I am not the most experienced or knowledgable person in here but i have noticed that this forum has started to take a slide in the wrong direction with lotts of repost and just whacky a$$ stuff getting posted. Also there is a difference between exploring possibilities and being realistic. I modd my car because i have a interest in working with cars. While i like to take something that is ordinary and take it and make it something special, there is a point where you just have to sitt down and remeber THIS IS A MAXIMA. It is not a prime subject for a race or drag car. I'm not putting the max down because I love the VQ engine. I applaud people like mardigras, hal, and others who have made custom products for our cars. These people are knowledgable and think within a reasonable boundary. Honestly if my aspirations of modding a car were what they were 2 years ago i would have to say i would not have got this car
Old 12-10-2004, 04:49 AM

What if I win the lottery tonight
Old 12-10-2004, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
What if I win the lottery tonight
then i'll be your best freind evvvveeeeer
Old 12-10-2004, 10:35 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Can you have both a SC (you would need a roots type in order to spool quickly) and a turbo? Yes

Would it be worth the time, money, and effort on a FWD, traction limited car? NO! not in the least.

It would be better to have sequintial turbos. You have one really small turbo and then one huge one. It is pretty common. Some cars come with it stock. The thing is no one to my knowledge has EVER put more than one turbo into a maxima. It is really not necessary. There are a lot of things you can do to reduce lag and if you have properly sized, efficient turbo you won't have a lot.

If you want to do it fine. Research it. Do it. Post on here and prove us all wrong. I would be happy. Be sure to have dynos, timeslips, and pictures.

Most people on here are tired of people asking about twin turbo, putting both SC and turbo, swapping stupid engines in, etc. So expect to be flamed if you post something that is stupid or could easily be answered in the stickies or from some tiny bit of research.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:53 PM

SC and TC... recent book with example.

Just picked up a book from Barns&Noble called Advanced Engine Tuning. It's a very updated publication. They Supercharged and Turbocharged a Toyota V6 of somesort.. But im my openion they WAY over did the turbo size. It was a T76! sht.. that'll support 800+ and then put on a small supercharger.. from what I read in the build up here and there.. it didn't work out.

I bought a TA49 Turbo for my 89 VG engine. That turbo on a Buick Grand National will make 550+HP. It spools on my little 200,000mi 3.0 VG at 2000rpm. I'm running the lowest amount of boost the wastegate can do at 7-8psi. I'd like to have less but It won't go lower. If your going to make over 500hp I'd worry about lag. I've got none. I've put PTE.72's on both GN powerd Camaro's I've built that run in the 10's on pump gas with 3500rpm stall converters. That's running 234CID. Not too far from our little 3.0's.
People who have "lag" in there turbo system eather have wrong piping to/from intercooler or turbo. Wrong size turbo housing or turbo for the size motor or wrong tune.
Hell when the camaro first came out it was running 12.60's at the end of the year with just tuning it was 10.92@124mph with a 1.49 60' Tune is absoultly critical on the turbo cars.. Can't say how much that means to performance and drivability. Your way over engineering with sc/tc. it's just not pracitcal.
~Scott
Old 12-10-2004, 04:22 PM
SLOW

Well I must say, the responses to this post were much more gentle than I would have expected.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:18 PM

There would need to be a purpose or a goal to accomplish to even attempt this. A sc takes power to make power so up front you would get more lag from a turbo... If you used the turbo to cut down on the sc coming in later, ah this is why there are twin turbo's?

oh, thanks Chris. I knew you would be there..
Old 12-10-2004, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
There would need to be a purpose or a goal to accomplish to even attempt this. A sc takes power to make power so up front you would get more lag from a turbo... If you used the turbo to cut down on the sc coming in later, ah this is why there are twin turbo's?

oh, thanks Chris. I knew you would be there..

You see what happens to people when they get money they get all haughty taughty on you
Old 12-10-2004, 08:11 PM
be the change u want2C

Ok thanks, I apreciate your patience with this thread(so stupid)
Old 12-10-2004, 09:21 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Well I must say, the responses to this post were much more gentle than I would have expected.

But well put and good basic info

Ni_Nos- it takes time to learn anything. Questions are good, even ones that get you flammed. Information is the key, you just have to work to get the info. Books are better than most internet forums
Old 12-10-2004, 11:01 PM

Assyrian Racer=ghey
We will never forget....
Old 12-12-2004, 02:06 AM
be the change u want2C

Originally Posted by Lurchdogg11
Assyrian Racer=ghey
We will never forget....
Lurchdogg=superfahg