Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

I bought a '99 to replace my '96...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Licensed to Spell

I bought a '99 to replace my '96...

I'm sure some of you have heard about the terrible luck I had with my '96 GLE because I have solicited help from many of you. Anyway, the car has a terrible, terrible starting problem. I have tried everything and I have officially thrown in the towel. I bought a '99 SE this last weekend instead.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=375395

Now the fun part of transfering the supercharger and the other things that I can.

Question: on Stillen's site they have separated the '95-'98s from the '99s when selling their supercharger kits. Does anyone know why? I hope I don't have too much trouble getting my SC from my '96 to my '99. Any advice/tips are very much welcomed. Thanks in advance guys.

- Josh
Old 01-31-2005, 08:16 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

just the power steering cooler. There is nothing different (at least for the s/c install). I think that they had the crossover intake piping instead of the "pancake" filter. But didnt you have the cai?

Oh yeah, as for exhaust, there is a hangar that the 99-01s have. You might want to take a hose clamp and use it as a hangar for more support.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know if anyone really knows what all the differences are. I think the power steering is probably the biggest difference. I ordered an actual PS cooler, because what they use on the 99's is a joke for cooling. Rumor was the plate was different, and one guy thought it had to do with how the timing chain cover was molded on the 99, but I've compared mine to earlier models and can't tell a difference. IMO, you should have no problem. Jay had a 99 on his 95 for a long time, but no one the other way around that I know of.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:17 AM

Emissions are different. That might have something to do with putting the two in seperate catigories...
Old 02-01-2005, 06:20 PM

you can put the 99 S/C bracket to the 95-98 but not vice versa...I think that was experimented by one of our S/C gurus Jay the moderator
Old 02-01-2005, 07:19 PM

That's what I heard too. Do you know if it has to do with how the plate pegs fit into the recesses of the timing chain cover? That's what I heard, and if that's the case a little grinding can solve that problem
Old 02-01-2005, 08:29 PM

i believe they are the same guys. i have an 00-01 bracket on my 98
Old 02-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Well, I appreciate all the answers but it seems you guys have brought up all the 'rumors' I heard before which I was hoping to clear up - lol.
Ex. The only difference is the power steering cooler, the mounting plate is different, the mounting plate is the same, I will need to buy a new $1000 mounting plate, etc., etc.

I guess the only real way is to jump right in and try! Hopefully it will be a direct fit. If not, hopefully it is something I can 'take care of' myself like MAXimumHP mentioned. I'll keep you guys updated. Now that I (finally) graduated college, I have a lot more free time.

I also called Adam at Stillen today and he said he would get back to me. He did say the mounting plate part numbers are the same so that's a good sign.

I am worried about passing smog though. The '99s never got carb approved. I'll just have to hope I can find a crooked/ignorant smog station - or I'll have to take the SC on and off every two years. :I

Thanks again guys.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:59 PM

That blows to have to pay that much money for a mounting bracket. Too bad I need mine or I would sale it for that price! What a pain in the A$$
Old 02-01-2005, 11:03 PM

i got one for $280, which is their wholesale. I had a friend order it for me though
Old 02-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by slimer
i got one for $280, which is their wholesale. I had a friend order it for me though

So what are you guys saying? That there is a difference in the mounting plates????
Old 02-02-2005, 12:00 AM

Well , you just can't make a mounting bracket. I do have a friend as well that owns his own shop and has a Stillen account. It is so expensive for a company to ask that much money for something they have already recouped there cost from trial and error
Old 02-02-2005, 03:21 AM

I mounted a 5th gen supercharger kit to my 1995 Maxima. It bolted on perfectly. All the holes aligned. My opinion about it, a VQ30DE is a VQ30DE. If the 5th gen engine was different then it would read different. Example: VQ30DF. Hope you guys understand. The SCer plates are the same in my opinion. I might be wrong if stillen says they are different then they are different. Then Ill be confused as to why a 5th gen SCer plate bolted up to my 95 maxima
Old 02-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Licensed to Spell

O.k., well, while I do not have a definite answer, I still feel pretty confident from what you guys have said. If nothing else, we will find out, right?! And then we'll know once and for all if a '95/'98 fits a '99.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:15 AM

I don't think there is a difference. Like Jay said they are most likely universal.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:38 PM

This is where I remember hearing the "plate is different" theory. Guy could be full of crap, but take for what it's worth. If he's correct, you should be able to tell when installing it, and make the appropriate modifications.

Look at the last post in this thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=167927

Or click here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=34
Old 02-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by MAXimumHP
This is where I remember hearing the "plate is different" theory. Guy could be full of crap, but take for what it's worth. If he's correct, you should be able to tell when installing it, and make the appropriate modifications.

Look at the last post in this thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=167927

Or click here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=34

That helps Maximum. Thanks. He sounds like he knows what he is talking about with the plate but then he says stuff like hoses being wrong - I can't see hoses being different from '98 to '99. And it is 3rd hand info. Installer --> him --> us. But he could be right. We'll see.

What about this theory? Now that I have a '99 I have been buying some stuff from the dealer (either Courtesy or local) and they always ask me if I have a '99 or a '99.5. Do you guys think that perhaps '99s are the same as '98s but '99.5s are different???
Old 02-03-2005, 08:16 AM

the se-l's are different
Old 02-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

There are two different version 1999s. One is fed-spec. and one is cali-spec. If you have a 1999 FSM, you know what I mean. Mine has a built date of 1998 but it's still a cali-spec. I think what happened was in mid production, Nissan decided to stop making fed-spec. So after certain date, all the maxima that were coming out of the factory were cali-spec 99.5. During the same time or alittle earlier, Nissan decided to throw the SE-L into the mix. SE-L could be fed-spec or cali-spec.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:42 AM

I bought my kit used so I didn't even get the Stillen PS cooler. I'm going to do what you did and buy a real PS cooler. Which one did you get? I'm thinking about going with from Perma-cool 1001. The other ones from Perma-cool seems to be an overkill.

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page15.html

Originally Posted by MAXimumHP
I don't know if anyone really knows what all the differences are. I think the power steering is probably the biggest difference. I ordered an actual PS cooler, because what they use on the 99's is a joke for cooling. Rumor was the plate was different, and one guy thought it had to do with how the timing chain cover was molded on the 99, but I've compared mine to earlier models and can't tell a difference. IMO, you should have no problem. Jay had a 99 on his 95 for a long time, but no one the other way around that I know of.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by 1MAX2NV
I bought my kit used so I didn't even get the Stillen PS cooler. I'm going to do what you did and buy a real PS cooler. Which one did you get? I'm thinking about going with from Perma-cool 1001. The other ones from Perma-cool seems to be an overkill.

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page15.html

1MAX, when you say you bought your kit used and didn't get the PS cooler, do you mean you bought a '95/'98 kit?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 1MAX2NV
I bought my kit used so I didn't even get the Stillen PS cooler. I'm going to do what you did and buy a real PS cooler.
what i did for mine was take 3/8 inch brake line (about 4 ft) and got a lisle brake bending tool. I then made it into a hexagon shape about three layers thick.

doesnt take up much space and seems to do the job.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:58 AM

I bought a 1999 kit, but I think the PS cooler kit is still on the previous owner's car.

Originally Posted by ptatohed
1MAX, when you say you bought your kit used and didn't get the PS cooler, do you mean you bought a '95/'98 kit?
Old 02-03-2005, 08:37 PM

I got a Derale. Might not be the best on the market, but works pretty good for me. I would consider something even bigger if I had to do it again, because at AutoX events my fluid still gets really hot (Probably because you don't get the speed for the air cooling effect) But for normal driving it would be more than adequate. Here is the one I got:

http://www.derale.com/powersteeringcoolers.shtml

If you go to summit racing, just type in DER-13200 in the part number search box and it will come up. It's like 23 bucks, so that's why I went with this one, I'm a cheap skate.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Licensed to Spell

Well, I finally got Adam at Stillen to tell me the exact difference in the '99 kit from the '95/'98 kit. He did a complete part list printout for both versions and he highlighted and placed a price next to each item that differs. I can fax it along if anyone is interested. But in a nutshell, while some of the things listed are very expensive, I think I may not need them all (if any). Stuff like a silicone hose ($8), inlet pipe ($236), 90^ silicone hose ($146), air filter adaptor ($242), etc.... To clear up the mounting plate issue we have been discussing, it is the exact same part number for both kits. I'm making a (hopeful) guess and thinking that perhaps when they put the '99 kit together, part numbers changed and the kit may have equivalent parts but due to the part number change, it is coming up on Adam's list. We'll see. Wish me luck...
Old 02-17-2005, 04:53 PM

What the hell is the air filter adaptor?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:05 PM

The 99's have that crossover pipe that the 5th gens have.

the 95-98 has the "pancake" filter.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:16 PM

Mines a 99 and I have no crossover pipe?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:28 PM

did you get the 99 kit?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:54 PM

I was suppose to, but who knows...
Old 03-28-2005, 08:32 AM
Licensed to Spell

I'll start a new thread when I know for sure all the differences in the '99 kit and if my '96 kit will go on my '99 or not but here are some updates for those of you who have participated in the discussion on this thread.

My friend 'The Wizard' (James) received his '99 kit in the mail last week. We agreed to install his before we transfer mine but just so we could compare, we removed my charger from my '96 (took about 8 hours and it is about 33-50% put back to stock). When we got to step number 20 ("Offer up the supercharger") on Jame's car (after about 15 hours) I tried to "offer up" mine before we installed his. It appears that the legs on the '99 SC plate are about 1/8" longer. When I place my '96 plate up to his '99 engine, it ever so slightly 'rocks' and/or contains small gaps on some of the bolt connection points.

I am thinking of a.) just going for it and try to just have an equal gap all around by driving the bolts in evenly or b.) using 1/8" washers/spacers.

I guess this is why a '99 SC is backward compatable but not vise versa.

Like I said, I'll keep you guys updated and start an official thread when I know everything.

- Josh
Old 03-28-2005, 09:58 AM

Josh,
I just bought a 99 motor also...so I am in the same boat right now. Can u keep me updated with your info and i will do the same if I am ahead of u in the process of the swap. I am just gonna try the plate while the motor is out to see if its compatible. thanx the info and keep us updated.
-Tay
Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 AM

When you offer it up, it wont fit correctly, mine is the same way until i bolt it down to 10 ft/lbs. After that, everything fits correctly.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by maxlinegtr
Josh,
I just bought a 99 motor also...so I am in the same boat right now. Can u keep me updated with your info and i will do the same if I am ahead of u in the process of the swap. I am just gonna try the plate while the motor is out to see if its compatible. thanx the info and keep us updated.
-Tay

You got it buddy. Hey, how far is West Covina from Temecula?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Licensed to Spell

When you offer it up, it wont fit correctly, mine is the same way until i bolt it down to 10 ft/lbs. After that, everything fits correctly.

Well... o.k. .... but like I said Slimer, Jame's '99 SC has longer legs and fits totally flush up against his '99 engine while my '96 SC plate has shorter legs and just falls shy. But you think I should just go for it and hope it 'sucks up' flush, huh?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:18 AM

im just saying that i have had all three types of plates (95-98; 99; 00-01) and all have been a little loose until I torqued them down. did you measure how long each leg was?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Licensed to Spell

im just saying that i have had all three types of plates (95-98; 99; 00-01) and all have been a little loose until I torqued them down. did you measure how long each leg was?

Slimer, I did but I don't remember the two numbers right now - I just remember the difference. It was about 1/8". I'll get back to you with more precise measurements.

Tay, I did a Yahoo search and you are about 65 miles away from me. Let me know if you ever want to get together.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:11 PM

Tay, I did a Yahoo search and you are about 65 miles away from me. Let me know if you ever want to get together.[/QUOTE]

Josh,
that sounds good!!..I am actually gettin my motor from Torrance tonight....I am hoping to pick it up with with my friends truck I hope....So you are about 65 miles huh? Yeah we can kick it and bs about the ishes..How about whoever gets their ish together theycan meet up at the others persons place where they have their max...aight? good luck bro and hope we can figure out this fitment.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by maxlinegtr
Josh,
that sounds good!!..I am actually gettin my motor from Torrance tonight....I am hoping to pick it up with with my friends truck I hope....So you are about 65 miles huh? Yeah we can kick it and bs about the ishes..How about whoever gets their ish together theycan meet up at the others persons place where they have their max...aight? good luck bro and hope we can figure out this fitment.

Sounds good. I just hope your not asking me for help installing an engine! lol. Superchargers I can do, engines I can't. Why are you getting a new engine anyway Tay? And are you sure a '99 will work in your '96? There seems to be quite a few differences with '99s (many extra emmision items like a 4th O2, a unique ECU, etc.) Anyway, that sounds good. I'll certainly be installing my SC on my '99 within two weeks. I need to finish helping James with his, I need to remove everything off my '96 and I need to fix a radiator leak in my SHO so I have something to drive. I'll call you if we need help and feel free to call me if you need help with anything.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Sounds good. I just hope your not asking me for help installing an engine! lol. Superchargers I can do, engines I can't. Why are you getting a new engine anyway Tay? And are you sure a '99 will work in your '96? There seems to be quite a few differences with '99s (many extra emmision items like a 4th O2, a unique ECU, etc.) Anyway, that sounds good. I'll certainly be installing my SC on my '99 within two weeks. I need to finish helping James with his, I need to remove everything off my '96 and I need to fix a radiator leak in my SHO so I have something to drive. I'll call you if we need help and feel free to call me if you need help with anything.

Well..I blew my motor a couple weeks ago from unavoidable flood waters....I think it bent my valves while it sucked in too much water...I just bought my motor and i am gonna install my motor probably in a couple of weeks...I am pretty familiar in motor swaps from many of my swaps were B16s, B18s, H22s and even the Sr20...no problems...as for the VQ...this will be my first V6...I am pretty sure I know what i am doin....the 99 motor i am getting is Cali spec so i don't expect much difference...the ECU?..well I am using the block itself pretty much and swap some parts out like the injectors 370cc, MEVI...and some misc if i have to. my big question is the S/C plate being able to mount it on the time chain cover and such... if thats the case i am gonna have to interchange it.( just trying to avoid that...) Thats whats on my plate...so hopefully we can get this issue resolved and post this info to others. I will pm u my number to kick it.
Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: I bought a '99 to replace my '96...