Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Those with pfi kit look here..

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 06:31 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Those with pfi kit look here..

On the turbo exhaust outlet.... there are 4 bolts that bolt the exhaust dump to the outlet.... There is one bolt that is UNDER the piping for the flange.... how did you guys put a bolt in there....?

It's the one bolt that you can't see in this picture... it's underneath the pipe.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

off topic, but are you getting good enough oil drainage with your lines running like that?? I would think you'd want the feed to at least be at a 15-20* angle as opposed to like that
Old 02-13-2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
off topic, but are you getting good enough oil drainage with your lines running like that?? I would think you'd want the feed to at least be at a 15-20* angle as opposed to like that

That's my old setup from about 6 months ago- it's angled probably about 20 deg. lower.... i'm currently leaking oil from the turbo - but I think it's because my hose is too long to the valve cover.... When I get a chance i'll shorten the hose and possibly angle it say 5 deg. higher
Old 02-13-2005, 07:14 PM

this was discussed previously - I asked the same question , and I believe Nigel stated that he used clear hose to confirm enough oil drainage. Hard to believe.. I would return to upper oil pan if you don't mind spending the extra money and time (it's worth it). If not, target the top of the lower oil pan, this should be above oil level while the motor is operating.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:18 PM

Just looking at the pic... maybe you will have to use a shorter bolt and/or an open end wrench?
Old 02-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

returning the oil to the valve cover is a no no. Isn't that why Red Max blew his motor in the first place.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Why is that?

I've seen the oil drain into the valve cover with clear tubing on Joaquins' Max at 10-20 degrees and it was moving pretty fast.

Originally Posted by spanishrice
returning the oil to the valve cover is a no no. Isn't that why Red Max blew his motor in the first place.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by spanishrice
it drains fine if it's set up right. From what I understand, the custommaxima kit that he had - returned oil to the crankcase vent nipple that is on the highest part of the valve cover(i.e. the oil has to flow upwards).
Old 02-14-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

I do believe there is a basic formula for the drain. ie.. % angle. But since I don't think there is much of any oil pressure out of the drain, draining UP is a no no.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:44 PM

I'm not sure about pressure, but the oil had some good velocity on it at idle. It was tapped on the lowest point of the front head, I think.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I'm not sure about pressure, but the oil had some good velocity on it at idle. It was tapped on the lowest point of the front head, I think.

yeah that's exactly how mine is tapped. It has a slight incline - i'm talking less than 10 deg. but that's enough for good drain.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:54 PM

Incline or decline? This one definitely had a VERY very slight decline not an incline(up hill).
Old 02-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Incline or decline? This one definitely had a VERY very slight decline not an incline(up hill).

meh i should proofread. There's a decline as you move from the turbo to the valve cover
Old 02-14-2005, 03:20 PM

Okay, just making sure....
Old 02-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Hope you don't mind me chiming in here, but the oil feed and return is something I am not familiar with yet and need to know in the near future.

I only see one line in the pic, the stainless steel braided line on the turbo. Is that the oil feed or return line? It looks to me like it as it comes up from under the car it has a slight decline to the turbo...is this what you guys are looking at or are you looking at a different line.

From what I know the oil is tapped from the oil pressure sending unit and sent to the turbo, then returned to the lower oil pan. This is at least how my set up is I believe.

Help with a little explanation here?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

smaller ss line on the right is the feed from the pressure sender
the larger SS line on the left(under the pipe w/ BOV) is the return

in most setups the feed is at a straight down or 10-20* angle and the return(since gravity drained) should be angled straight down or at the same angle, but over all it must be set at a decline
Old 02-14-2005, 04:57 PM

smaller ss line on the right is the feed from the pressure sender
the larger SS line on the left(under the pipe w/ BOV) is the return

in most setups the feed is at a straight down or 10-20* angle and the return(since gravity drained) should be angled straight down or at the same angle, but over all it must be set at a decline

It must be my monitor because I can't see the return line.

I think I am still a little confused becasue I am not sure what the origin is when you say decline and incline since it is all relative.

The feed line will have to go up, incline, from the oil pressure sending unit to the turbo becasue it is above it.

The return line will have to travel down becasue the oil pan is below the turbo.

So how could it be any other way? Sorry if this is frustrating you
Old 02-14-2005, 05:01 PM

This is a picture of how my set up is gonna be....do these lines look alirght. I do know that my turbo is both water and oil cooled if that makes a difference.

http://maxima.dynomagic.com/images/o...gine%20bay.jpg
Old 02-14-2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
This is a picture of how my set up is gonna be....do these lines look alirght. I do know that my turbo is both water and oil cooled if that makes a difference.

http://maxima.dynomagic.com/images/o...gine%20bay.jpg

actually - the oil return isnt an SS line. It's a regular rubber hose that runs from the left side of the turbo to the botem of the valve cover. The feed line angle isnt too important since it's under pressure.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

in his pic the return line is there, its hidden under the IC pipe with the BOV....and its not stainless its just a regular black oil hose(my mistake, but mine was SS)

for reference heres my old setup from my integra....feed line goes from the pressure sender to the top of the center section...and the bigger SS line attaches to the bottom of the center section and run downwards to drain the oil into the oil pan

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_101_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...69_99_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_186_full.jpg

EDIT: just go by the pic you just posted(on_alerts old stuff)...its more of the "common" feed/drain setup
Old 02-14-2005, 05:34 PM

in his pic the return line is there, its hidden under the IC pipe with the BOV....and its not stainless its just a regular black oil hose(my mistake, but mine was SS)

for reference heres my old setup from my integra....feed line goes from the pressure sender to the top of the center section...and the bigger SS line attaches to the bottom of the center section and run downwards to drain the oil into the oil pan

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_101_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...69_99_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_186_full.jpg

EDIT: just go by the pic you just posted(on_alerts old stuff)...its more of the "common" feed/drain setup

Thanks, but pic don't work.

Ok, now I am out in my garage trying to see how all this oil feed and return line stuff goes....I am confused but I think it will be more clear once I am actaully installing it. I just can't see how all these lines that I got go together.

That pic of On-Alerts set up is about all I have and does not show me a whole lot.

I have been searching all the old threads on here and there is not a whole lot on the the oil feed and return set-up's.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:14 PM

Here is all the lines I have mocked up with the turbo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...d/112_1270.jpg

I see now that the fitting from the side are the coolant. The one on top is the feed and the one below is the return.

1. At the moment I don't know how I am going to tap inot the coolant system

2. At the moment I don't know how the fitting on the end of the feed is going to connect to the oil pressure sending unit

3. At the moment I don't know what the hard line that is tapped off the return line is for

Here is a closer pic of the hard line connected to the return line

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...d/112_1271.jpg

Not sure what the that fitting is a few inches down the hard line. What is it for and what does it goes to?

Here is another pic of the end of the hard line. Not sure what this goes to either

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...d/112_1272.jpg

Any insight would be great
Old 02-14-2005, 06:56 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Here is all the lines I have mocked up with the turbo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...d/112_1270.jpg

I see now that the fitting from the side are the coolant. The one on top is the feed and the one below is the return.

1. At the moment I don't know how I am going to tap inot the coolant system
2. At the moment I don't know how the fitting on the end of the feed is going to connect to the oil pressure sending unit
3. At the moment I don't know what the hard line that is tapped off the return line is for

Here is a closer pic of the hard line connected to the return line

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...d/112_1271.jpg

Not sure what the that fitting is a few inches down the hard line. What is it for and what does it goes to?

Here is another pic of the end of the hard line. Not sure what this goes to either
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...d/112_1272.jpg

Any insight would be great
#1.. can't be that hard... a "Y"y connection or something?

#2 Get a "T" fitting and that should solve your problem

#3 Me either.. mabye it went to an oil pressure gauge?

It's a nice flared fitting, just like the clutch lines. I have no idea.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:58 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Why is that?

I've seen the oil drain into the valve cover with clear tubing on Joaquins' Max at 10-20 degrees and it was moving pretty fast.

You may want to clarify your statement.

People will see valve cover and think the breather port is ok to hook up the oil drain if they can get any down slope on the return line.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:12 PM

Do I really need to use the coolant lines if I will be using a turbo timer?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:34 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

yes, because that cools the turbo so the oil doesn't break down as much. Are you planning on going synthetic?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by slimer
yes, because that cools the turbo so the oil doesn't break down as much. Are you planning on going synthetic?
I was just reading a bunch of stuff from different sources on oil and coolant and read several times that with a non BB turbo not having the coolant lines hooked up is not a big deal, just make sure you use a turbo timer.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:46 PM

i just think running those lines are going to be a pita.

when we are going to installe your setup, do you want me to take a couple of days off? im always looking to shy away from my management responsibilities.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by slimer
i just think running those lines are going to be a pita.

when we are going to installe your setup, do you want me to take a couple of days off? im always looking to shy away from my management responsibilities.

I got to figure out this oil feed/return line stuff and the coolant line stuff. I need a T-fitting for the oil pressure sending unit but I don't know what size thread to get for the T-fitting....I am sooo frustrated right now.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:25 AM

1/8npt....
Old 02-15-2005, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by seximagtr
1/8npt....

thanks!

So I need a Tee fitting with two sides 1/8 npt (one male and one female) and the third to be a male AN.

How can I find out what AN is on the end of my feed line to hook up to the Tee fitting?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:02 AM

or you could find one that is all npt and have a an to npt adapter (like i have on mine)
Old 02-15-2005, 11:59 AM

thanks!

So I need a Tee fitting with two sides 1/8 npt (one male and one female) and the third to be a male AN.

How can I find out what AN is on the end of my feed line to hook up to the Tee fitting?

take it wtih you to a place that sells an fittings and try putting a male connector into your female connection on the feed line.

Yeah, thats what you need for the t fitting though, two female npt, one male.... only thing is - i needed an extension to clear the oil pan - so I used a connector with female on one end, male on the other to accomplish this. make sense?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:11 PM

i took a coupler. male to male and then the t fitting was all female. i just screwed everything in.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by seximagtr
take it wtih you to a place that sells an fittings and try putting a male connector into your female connection on the feed line.

Yeah, thats what you need for the t fitting though, two female npt, one male.... only thing is - i needed an extension to clear the oil pan - so I used a connector with female on one end, male on the other to accomplish this. make sense?
Searching all over Summit Racing for a 1/8 NPT T-fitting that has two female and one male. Can't find it

What abou this BSPT thing.....should I really be using 1/8 BSPT instead of 1/8 NPT?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:35 PM

Searching all over Summit Racing for a 1/8 NPT T-fitting that has two female and one male. Can't find it

What abou this BSPT thing.....should I really be using 1/8 BSPT instead of 1/8 NPT?
BSPT would definately fit better - in fact, iwth the PFI kit -thats the fitting they give you - I believe you don't need teflon either if you use BSPT
Old 02-15-2005, 02:22 PM

I got to figure out this oil feed/return line stuff and the coolant line stuff. I need a T-fitting for the oil pressure sending unit but I don't know what size thread to get for the T-fitting....I am sooo frustrated right now.

Does anyone havea picture of oil pressure sending unit hooked up to the oil feed line. I sort of get how to drain it, but i have no idea where to tap in for oil intake. thanks guys. this thread is very helpful.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:54 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by FriscoMaxima
Does anyone havea picture of oil pressure sending unit hooked up to the oil feed line. I sort of get how to drain it, but i have no idea where to tap in for oil intake. thanks guys. this thread is very helpful.
Not a maxima, but the same thing

www.yahoo.com or www.google.com and use search words and search for images
Old 02-15-2005, 02:56 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Try nappa Mike?

Also, hardware stores that sell air tool fittings or plumbing fittings may have them
Old 02-15-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bags
Try nappa Mike?

Also, hardware stores that sell air tool fittings or plumbing fittings may have them

No, I have not tried any local places yet. Just internet searches. I can't believe how much this is frustrating me.

I really would rather use a male 1/8 BSPT for the block, but 1/8 NPT is fine for the sender. I found 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT adapers here at www.splparts.com. That would work fine if I could find a 1/8 NTP T-fitting that had one side male and one side female.

If Anybody has done this recently and can tell me exactly where they got there fittings and which ones they used I would be forever grateful....

Quick Reply: Those with pfi kit look here..