Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Blower repaired but not by Vortech?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:16 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Blower repaired but not by Vortech?

Has anyone had their blower repaired by a shop other than Vortech? It seems like almost every winter I go through the marbles-in-a-can noise and I think I'm heading towards downtime again.

I hated dealing with Vortech's turn-around times and especially with customs. The last time it took 4 weeks to do and this was in the month of November.

I called a local turbocharger repair shop http://www.wcturbo.com/index.html
and found out that they also handle superchargers besides turbochargers, including the Vortech brand. One day turn-around and estimate about $500Cdn if I drop off the blower only. They quoted me $200 labour for a 2hr teardown/2hr reinstall if I give it to them to do. I'll have to check out their facilities and their guarantee before I decide. I described the noise to them and they think its the vanes touching something but I believe its the bearings.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:35 PM

4 weeks, thats only 1 month. I know it's hard to go without boost and all but that seems fast to me.... I don't know of anyone else that would deal with a vortech blower. You have the v2 in the cold weather so...
Old 02-24-2005, 08:06 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I'm seriously thinking of deactivating the blower by putting in a normal belt to drive the alternator and accessories for next winter. That way I won't have to keep tightening the belt to take away the slipping.

BTW I backed down the belt tightness and that seemed to take away most of the rattle that appears while idling in Drive. I'll bet that if I back it down a touch more it should help more.

Anybody know what belt size I require if I bypass the blower but leave the idler pulley in place?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BlackCat
I'm seriously thinking of deactivating the blower by putting in a normal belt to drive the alternator and accessories for next winter. That way I won't have to keep tightening the belt to take away the slipping.

BTW I backed down the belt tightness and that seemed to take away most of the rattle that appears while idling in Drive. I'll bet that if I back it down a touch more it should help more.

Anybody know what belt size I require if I bypass the blower but leave the idler pulley in place?
You can use your oem accessory belt and bypass the SC pulley and the idler pulley on the bracket.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:36 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Is that right? I didn't think the OEM belt would fit because of the difference in diameter size between the OEM idler pulley and the Dayco idler pulley.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:48 AM

Is that right? I didn't think the OEM belt would fit because of the difference in diameter size between the OEM idler pulley and the Dayco idler pulley.
Okay, that may be right. I have only dealt with setups that didn't use the Dayco pulley.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:55 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Stephen, just to clarify that the Dayco pulley is the stock plastic idler pulley that came with the Stillen kit. I've taken out DanNY's steel pulleys last November and put back in the plastic (Dayco) tensioner and idler pulleys. I'm not sure what setups you're referring to here.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:12 AM

Stephen, just to clarify that the Dayco pulley is the stock plastic idler pulley that came with the Stillen kit. I've taken out DanNY's steel pulleys last November and put back in the plastic (Dayco) tensioner and idler pulleys. I'm not sure what setups you're referring to here.
The setup I have dealt with had a steel tensioner pulley. It was no problem to put the oem belt back on and bypass the SC pulley and the SC bracket mounted idler pulley. I guess the previous owner must have gotten one of DanNY's pulleys.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:37 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

OIC...I'll have to try the OEM belt then! Thanks!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:05 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

the dayco one tensioner pulley (actually we cross referenced gates 76mm steel pulley) is not the same size as the v2 tensioner pulley. this one did not have rails, but the stillen tensioner pulley is much much smaller.