Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Anyone interested in LSD's????

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Anyone interested in LSD's????

Here's the deal I am thinking about getting a custom LSD's made for us. Because of course we know that if your going to put some power down you will need to have an LSD So you wont go flying across 5 lanes when you smack the gas!!

So, this thread is a wish list!! What would you guys like to see in an LSD?
Old 03-09-2005, 05:00 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

ask shadow or mishap
Old 03-09-2005, 05:00 PM

i would like to see a LSD available that is not comprised of a few brackets that bolt into the diff. kazz may have been intersted if there is enough interest mainly 10 people. but then again 95% of the comunnity will not fork up for a good product.

SOOOOO we will see.

if you give me notice so i can save i will be very interested.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:03 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

i'm guessing that this will be for 5sp.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Redlinemax Owner

yessir......
Old 03-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if a good company comes out with a good LSD that is proven and is not like the phantom type, I will be in!

oh and I don't want it insanely expensive like the quaife...
Old 03-09-2005, 05:36 PM

Ohh fellas lets get this going pupuplease. Me and Jay25 are doing a 5 speed swap on my car this summer so i want to pick one of these up before the install
Old 03-09-2005, 07:20 PM

Therein lies the dilemma of the entire import market. Everyone wants the latest and greatest technology at a Walmart price. The Maxima unfortunately isn't the most popular performance platform and with the shift of the current model toward luxury it isn't getting anymore popular. This means that no large manufacturer is going to jump at the chance to make a Maxima diff without a large upfront investment. Tooling for a small manufacturer is even more cost prohibitive so very few of them would be willing to make any investment for lifetime sales in the 100-200 range tops. Unless everyone one of you is ready to cough up $700-1k upfront and wait patiently for it to be made I suggest you don't get your hopes too high.

I'm not sure but I believe the new 6spd is different enough to require different parts further diluting the market importance of the 5spd Maxima. They also seem to have cancelled the helical LSD originally available on the 6th gen. Also don't know if the Altima V6 5spd is popular enough to demand an LSD either from the big manufacturers.

An LSD generally has a very high install price so finding enough people to buy in and wait tends to be very difficult. It also doesn't solve torque steer like some of you have implied. If anything it will make it worse as both tires transmit torque rather than just having one wheel spin freely. It is however good for getting power to the ground for FI applications. As crude as Shadow's phantom grip style LSD is, he can do what no other auto Maxima can do...leave twin trails of rubber down the track. It's also held up fine through over 300ft-lbs of torque but even it wasn't cheap to make in such small quantities.

I'm not trying to kill your hopes...just trying to make sure people are realistic in their demands. Kaaz, which everyone seems to idolize probably makes more money on their line of lawn mowers than they could ever get from the FWD Nissan market so be prepared to pay up if you want to play.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:40 PM

Isn't the 2001 20th anniversary 5-speed tranny a good option? I think it was 50/50 split, better than the 95-99 I30/Canadian maxima LSD 5-speed. They're just hard as hell to find.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Isn't the 2001 20th anniversary 5-speed tranny a good option? I think it was 50/50 split, better than the 95-99 I30/Canadian maxima LSD 5-speed. They're just hard as hell to find.
It's the same viscous setup which means it will fail under heavy power. Being rare as well doesn't help. 240's have had viscous diff's for years and they tend to fail rather quickly when pushed.

It is very possible that the Maxima diff is similar enough dimensionally to an existing LSD that a manufacturer could modify the cores to work. Kaaz and most others use an almost universal differential assembly with adapted axle inputs and model specific ring gear. It's getting them enough money for them to take notice that is the hard part. Without plenty of buyers lined up no manufacturer will make any investment in making one fit. Get enough guys together and be willing to spend the money and they'll listen.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:26 PM
living out of a maxima...

I think your best chance would be to find enough people to make it worth Quaife's time to produce another batch... maybe you can get Cattman or another vendor to commit to buying a few as well. They already have one so R&D isn't a factor, you would just need enough guaranteed orders to get another batch rolling.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Chassis Freak

Only problem with Quaifes now, as Brian Catts has pointed out elsewhere, is that the exchange rate from £ to $ is awful (Quaife is in the UK), so it would be something like $1400 for a Quaife, assuming you had enough people interested to get them to start manufacturing them again. Someone started a group deal last summer or fall for KAAZ diffies but there wasn't enough interest at the time.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:43 PM

i spoke to the quaiffe representative at sema last year and he said to me "if you want to buy quaiffe LSD's u must go through cattman performance because they have exclusive rights to the product" which means, we all hafta go bug brian catts about it.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

last time i talk to brian catts he mentoioned the quaiffe coming out of new zeland or something like that. he also mentioned his cost on a quaife was going to be closer to $1900. this was about 1-2 months ago when i talked to him.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:26 AM

the quaife is way too expensive! I wouldn't be down for $1400....the most I would pay for an LSD is half that! none of us would be asking for an LSD if only nissan took care of business and put one in there in the first place in the US 4th gens...
Old 03-11-2005, 07:03 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
the quaife is way too expensive! I wouldn't be down for $1400....the most I would pay for an LSD is half that! none of us would be asking for an LSD if only nissan took care of business and put one in there in the first place in the US 4th gens...
Well enjoy your peg leg then bc your not going to get a quality quaife for $700. This post above is why the Maxima community no longer has them available. Im sure glad I have one .
Old 03-11-2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
Well enjoy your peg leg then bc your not going to get a quality quaife for $700. This post above is why the Maxima community no longer has them available. Im sure glad I have one .

thats very true, you gotta pay to play. Even though you maybe broke as f**k
Old 03-11-2005, 07:58 AM

I didn't mean I would only pay $700 for a quaife...I know they are worth their weight in gold! I am speaking about a new LSD which is what this thread is about...I was simply saying if some company could group deal some sort of new LSD for our cars I would be down for as much as $700...

and oddly enough my car rarely peg legs when I do burnouts which is odd, I guess the streets I have ever left rubber on were very flat...
Old 03-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Blu
the tits

I didn't mean I would only pay $700 for a quaife...I know they are worth their weight in gold! I am speaking about a new LSD which is what this thread is about...I was simply saying if some company could group deal some sort of new LSD for our cars I would be down for as much as $700...

and oddly enough my car rarely peg legs when I do burnouts which is odd, I guess the streets I have ever left rubber on were very flat...
and straight... make a slight turn and see what happens. My 02 Auto did the same thing, but when the power starts adding up the peg leg becomes more apparent.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:46 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

im so glad i have posi
Old 03-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by pawnstar12
im so glad i have posi
you have a modified supra posi trac dont you? NRH?
Old 03-11-2005, 09:01 AM
SomePsychoGuy

I would definitely be interested. I don't have the money right now but I would save or just take out a loan . Since quaifes are no longer in production there has really been a gap for a good lsd.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:14 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I want an LSD auto tranny for my car...

I know it would cost a fortune as well...
Old 03-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Quicksilver

Dan at NRH can hook you up. I know he modifies supra posi trac's for the Automatics. I think its approx 1000-1200 back when i was looking into it with my 02...
Old 03-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Redlinemax Owner

You mean rob at NRH? theres no dan there!!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Redmax
You mean rob at NRH? theres no dan there!!
oops lol yea thats him...
Old 03-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Saw a 2001 AE auto trans BRAND NEW for $1200(IIRC) on eBay as of yesterday, I think.

Originally Posted by Quicksilver

Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 PM
The Definitive AE Master

oh and I don't want it insanely expensive like the quaife...
In other words, you're not willing to pay for a quality product. It's not "insanely expensive", it just has a price you don't agree with. This is the reason maximas don't get much aftermarket attention.

It would be great if a company offered a good LSD for us. But our best bet is to convince Quaife to rerelease them, since they have already designed one. My VLSD is ok, but I'm sure it could be even better. I don't like to depend on fluid that thickens to control my power distribution.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:22 PM

Isn't the 2001 AE 5-speed a better LSD than the 95-99 I30 LSD? Is it still controled by fluids?
Old 03-11-2005, 02:22 PM

no...I do agree with the price of the quaife...I am saying we are paying for the amazing quality and name of quaife...

I am saying if a lesser known company made a less expensive LSD, and it proved out to work very well, I would buy it fer sher...

so your saying aftermarket companies don't give the maxima community attention cause we aren't all rich? well that is true, I am not rich, which is why I bought a maxima...because you can get parts for much cheaper than the typical german sports sedan...the LSD is really the only exception but the price might largely be due to there being no real competition...the same is true for good quality, equal length headers for our cars right now...competition is the corner stone of capitalism...and I welcome another company to step up to the plate (not saying they are going to have a better LSD than quaife for less than them....that would be nearly impossible), but I would like a decent LSD for a decent price...I don't think that sounds unfair if the demand is there...and I think we have proven that if the quality and price is there, demand will be there....why should only the super rich have LSD's? lol...I just like having choices for parts from all different companies like we have for brakes, suspension, exhaust, intakes, etc.

and yes, the AE trannies are still viscous type....it wasn't until '02 when nissan introduced the helical type LSD...
Old 03-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Blu
the tits

so your saying aftermarket companies don't give the maxima community attention cause we aren't all rich?
no bc well known aftermarket companies could give 2 ***** about 100 Maxima owners wanting something made. I don't blame them...spending 100 or hours on R&D, paying employees to fab everything, cost of build etc etc to sell a couple hundred items, or sells thousands of items daily to Acura/Honda makes and models? Which would you choose if you where a owner/vendor of a major chain company?
Old 03-11-2005, 02:57 PM

I agree, they should go where the demand is...but that is entirely not relevant to the issue here--the issue here is trying to get demand on our end, then making an action plan to find a repetable company that can make us an affordable, quality LSD...

this thread is also to ascertain not just demand, but willingness to pay "X" amount and what kind of LSD we would like to see made...etc...
Old 03-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Blu
the tits

the issue here is trying to get demand on our end, then making an action plan to find a repetable company that can make us an affordable, quality LSD...
there is not going to be much demand bc everyone is wanting a quaife quality lsd for $300...
Old 03-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

so your saying aftermarket companies don't give the maxima community attention cause we aren't all rich?
I think that what some of you have forgotten, is that the Maxima is a FAMILY CAR.

It's not a sports car.

This is why there aren't products popping up left and right for the Maxima.

Even though Honduh civics aren't sports cars either, I'm sure if you looked at the demographics for people buying the civic and people buying the Maxima, you would see that most ricer kids (and these are the kids spending all their money on these ricer products that everyone is making) are buying civics and most people who buy Maxima's are older...

The aftermarket companies don't give Maxima's a lot of attention because of this reason.

If you all remember, when I posted that thread about getting a short throw shifter made for the 6 speed, I got everyone to barrage TWM about it... Once TWM noticed the barrage, they agreed to make a STS for us (although a little too late and a few bucks too much).

The only way you're going to get LSD's made for the Maxima, by someone other than Quaife, is to prove to them that there's a market out there that makes it worth their while to make the LSD.

If you want a proven, quality product, like the Quaife, then yeah, you're gonna have to pay to play...
Old 03-11-2005, 04:32 PM

michaelnydyn: if you want lsd for $700 go buy a 240 that how much the nismo diff kits go for. accually no they go for $750 so your still gonna be out of budget.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:04 PM

Hey Michael,

When you gonna get that SC installed?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:50 PM

well yeah....I mean $750 or 800 is fine....when I put that 700 dollar figure there...I meant around that price but not more than 1K (ie 900/950, but more like 7 or 800 in a GD situation)....I certainly wouldn't want an LSD that is less (anything less would make me question it's quality)...I am sure a company like kaaz is capable of producing an LSD that affordable that works great and is of exceptional quality....look at the phantom LSD--$300, imagine 2 or 3 times that price and think of the product you would get...I am realistic and certainly don't expect a quaife level LSD for right around 8 or 900 hundred for a GD price...but still something up there in performance and build...

soon roy, soon, I just need a few things first...waiting on some parts from nissan and stillen that are missing or needed...I am thinking of just going with the 2.87 pulley...

how's the turbo max btw....how far done is it?

oh and for the sake of this thread, on your 2K max...with the open diff it had and the S/C'er, did you ever hate your car for not having a LSD? just trying to figure out if I will be disgusted with the maxima's grip after I slap my S/C'er on with the open diff tranny...
Old 03-11-2005, 10:49 PM

Hal's (previous) car has an open diff like yours and my car, and he ran 11.9 @ 125 mph in the quarter I believe Mardi's maxima also has a normal, open diff. So both maximas in the 11's have open differencials, and the guys don't seem to be crying about it.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:10 PM

mardi has a quife
not sure about hal proboly just open

if you run slicks it dont really matter since your pretty much garunteed traction. street tires are another story
Old 03-11-2005, 11:35 PM

soon roy, soon, I just need a few things first...waiting on some parts from nissan and stillen that are missing or needed...I am thinking of just going with the 2.87 pulley...

how's the turbo max btw....how far done is it?

oh and for the sake of this thread, on your 2K max...with the open diff it had and the S/C'er, did you ever hate your car for not having a LSD? just trying to figure out if I will be disgusted with the maxima's grip after I slap my S/C'er on with the open diff tranny...
Check it out... you been missing the thread? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=378986

As for the SC'd 2K, even with the open diff, it still hauled azz... I think the only time I missed having a LSD, was trying to launch hard in the rain... trust me, you'll love the SC'er so much, it won't matter about the open diff!

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in LSD's????