Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Options for Building a VQ30DE to Withstand Higher Boost Levels Reliably

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Options for Building a VQ30DE to Withstand Higher Boost Levels Reliably

I understand what a VQ30DE is capable of and that I don't really need to build the engine to achieve 400hp. However I would like the comfort of knowing that I have the components necessary to meet and exceed my expectations and run @ higher boost levels reliably.

I know there are many companies that can Custom make Pistons and other components, but the cost can become rather high, and although I am NOT looking for the "cheaper" alternative I would like to keep this project some what cost efficient.

I have not been able to find many companies that have components specifically for the VQ30DE however I did stumble upon this set:

Complete Gasket Set
Copper Performance Head Gasket
ROSS/Wiseco Forged Performance Pistons
(93, 94mm bore) and
(9-1, 10-1, 10.5-1 comp ratio)
Performance Rings
Performance Wrist Pins
TOGA HP Main Bearings
TOGA HP Rod Bearings
Thrust Washers (95-99 only)
Freeze Plugs

Costs:
$1199.00

Now I will be quite honest I do not know if these companies provide High Quality products, this was just the only "SET" that I came across.

As for as this particular set, I do have a few questions:

-Are these Products any good?
-Will these components be the answer to my overall goal of making my engine more tolerable and reliable to higher boost levels?
-Are there more components needed?
-Overall with these components installed what would be a ballpark figure what I would then be capable of reliably?

Also I have not quite understood if this holds true or not but, What EXACT Internal Components can be used from the 1990-1996 300zx TT?

Are any modifications needed to install these components or will they install w/o modification?

If this is the case and the 300zx components can be used, then would it be wise to use upgraded components made for the 300zx and use them on my application?

Last but not least, I have noticed many more members building a "Hybrid" motor if you will, and understandably many are still in the process but what advantages does this route hold compared to a VQ30DE with "Internals Components" and such?

On a Side Note would it be smarter to purchase a Lower mileage Engine and install these components or would installing these components on my Current Engine (160,000mi) essentially mean I would have a "NEW" engine?

If not what Items would still need to be changed in order to achieve this process.

Thanks for Reading this and I hope to have some useful input to aid me in my decisions.

Best Regards,
JP
Old 04-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

You can't use anything from a 300zx in a VQ, now there is some options for 3rd gen guys but I have no idea what exactly which 3rd gens and exactly which Z parts

I know you said you are aware of what a stock VQ30 can handle. But I have to throw in my two cents on it. I really don't think your gonna be any safer at 400whp or less with a built motor than a well tuned stock motor. Now, those who want to run 17, 18...20+ lbs of boost then building a lower compression motor, like RedMax did, is what has to be done.

So what type of power and boost are you looking to run. Will this be a daily driver?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:27 PM

they are the only company. I've been looking into them and they have some good prices.

First off how much power do you want to make?

You might want to look into someone making some custom rods for you and might be able to have a built shortblock for about 2k. Might look into some stronger headbolts, and I think you be set. I e-mailed that company about some custom rods today, hopefully they get back to me soon.

You can't use any internal parts from the 300zx. You can use the injectors and MAF sensor though. But youll probably be using bigger injectors because your have a built engine.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:29 PM

I take it you have been looking at www.importperformanceparts.net? Thats the only site that offer anything kit wise I have found. I spoke to a guy named fred that works for them, their pistons and rods were very well priced, 580 for pistons, and 740 for rods. He told me a waiting time of 7-8weeks for pistons, and 8-12 weeks for rods was a bit ridiculous, but hey, if you've got time. I've spoken to a couple local shops, and they both said they have used companies products before (Toga, LA Sleeve, etc) and have nothing but good words for them. And I think they do custom over-bore re-sleeving, and knife edging crank, etc type of work if you are intrested in that also. I can't really offer too much knowledge on reliabilty, I know arias pistons and pauter rods can take just about anything you can dish out, the stock crank is plenty ready also. I do not know of any 300 parts people have been using except for the Z32 MAF for some supercharger applications. You didnt mention actually HP goals or super/turbo preference. Considering the z32 is a completely different engine, VG vs VQ, I doubt there is much interchangable parts in there. Ah, the hybrid, theres endless combos being done/finished, and probably more to come. Differences? 3.5 to 3.0 litres, somewhat more off the shelf parts being available because of all the need for higher end 350z and G35s. Other than theres no replacement for displacement, nothing more to say really, considering the 3.5 is a hot engine right now, the "off the shelf" prices are as high as some 1 off pieces, and a lot are backordered, or serverely waiting time-listed. You might as well just rebuild the engine you have now if you are keeping the 3.0, unless you dont have a second car to drive around while the engine/fitting process is being done. A new engine block from nissan for a 3.5 is $1278 plus shipping, a new 3.0 block is around $1700. But you'd have to find heads, couple other small things around the junkyards, or nissan directly. I'm still doing research myself, and are trying to get a couple hard to find parts, I've decided to go with the hybrid motor. Hope this helps some.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by 98I30t
I take it you have been looking at www.importperformanceparts.net? Thats the only site that offer anything kit wise I have found. I spoke to a guy named fred that works for them, their pistons and rods were very well priced, 580 for pistons, and 740 for rods. He told me a waiting time of 7-8weeks for pistons, and 8-12 weeks for rods was a bit ridiculous, but hey, if you've got time. I've spoken to a couple local shops, and they both said they have used companies products before (Toga, LA Sleeve, etc) and have nothing but good words for them. And I think they do custom over-bore re-sleeving, and knife edging crank, etc type of work if you are intrested in that also. I can't really offer too much knowledge on reliabilty, I know arias pistons and pauter rods can take just about anything you can dish out, the stock crank is plenty ready also. I do not know of any 300 parts people have been using except for the Z32 MAF for some supercharger applications. You didnt mention actually HP goals or super/turbo preference. Considering the z32 is a completely different engine, VG vs VQ, I doubt there is much interchangable parts in there. Ah, the hybrid, theres endless combos being done/finished, and probably more to come. Differences? 3.5 to 3.0 litres, somewhat more off the shelf parts being available because of all the need for higher end 350z and G35s. Other than theres no replacement for displacement, nothing more to say really, considering the 3.5 is a hot engine right now, the "off the shelf" prices are as high as some 1 off pieces, and a lot are backordered, or serverely waiting time-listed. You might as well just rebuild the engine you have now if you are keeping the 3.0, unless you dont have a second car to drive around while the engine/fitting process is being done. A new engine block from nissan for a 3.5 is $1278 plus shipping, a new 3.0 block is around $1700. But you'd have to find heads, couple other small things around the junkyards, or nissan directly. I'm still doing research myself, and are trying to get a couple hard to find parts, I've decided to go with the hybrid motor. Hope this helps some.

Sweet rods are only $740??? What company makes them??
Old 04-16-2005, 09:47 PM

Why buy it directly from Nissan? You can have a junkyard VQ35DE for as low as 700-800$. Full, they even leave coil packs. And the mileage is always low, 10-30k miles usually.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 98I30t
3.5 block and pistons and 3.0 crank and rods? Or the other way around?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:51 PM

Since 3.0 rods are stronger I'd go with that.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:53 PM

Wow a fully built 3.0 for less than 2k. Or would the cost of a built 3.5 be worth it. Too get 500 whp - 600 whp?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:57 PM
SLOW

I'd definately boost first on a stock engine, work out the kinks, increase your knowledge base, and then worry about building an engine. You can destroy a built motor just as easily with poor tuning, general idiocy, simple accidents, etc as you can a stock motor. If you are doing this stuff yourself and for the first time I'd definately do your boost learning on a $500 stock motor rather than a $3000 built motor that you put 100 hours of your life, and checkbook, into.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:00 PM

And I'd sell him my 3.0 if I wasn't so damn far away. They only buy honduh motors up here.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Jar
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey JP long time no see, thats the same kit my brother is looking into and hes all kinda hot about it. weve already converted him from auto to man, and hes got a temp engine in til he gets his monster built, that kit and a couple other things he wants to throw at it.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:08 PM
living out of a maxima...

Email Sharif @ www.forgedinternals.com and see what kind of price he can get for you on rods, pistons, and ARP hardware. He sells VQ35 stuff to the 350Z guys so maybe he could hook you up.