Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

How do you datalog with a wideband that doesn't have a dedicated RPM output?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:19 PM
SLOW

How do you datalog with a wideband that doesn't have a dedicated RPM output?

I'm considering the AEM UEGO wideband because I've heard very good things about it. But I got to thinking, how in the world would I do any useful datalogging (AFR vs RPM) with it since it doesn't have any RPM output?

http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/aem_uego_controller/

It seems to me I would just end up with a bunch of raw AFR data, but no RPM points to associate it with, so it would be basically useless except for real time monitoring. I know there must be something I'm missing.

EDIT: I have emanage (but not the ability to datalog with it yet because it requires more power than my laptop has). Would I just use the 5V output and plug that into emanage? I've got to think there is a way to datalog with RPM for folks who don't have emanage or something similar.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

you aren't missing ANYTHING, IMO its only useful when its incorporated with the AEM EMS or any other standalone due to the analog output...without that its just a display...an effective and accurate one, but thats it.

I could see a way that you could convert the analog output voltage from the AEM unit into the Emanage (you mighit need to do the "Gold upgrade") on a 0-5v scale, than in the Emanage's data log screen you could compare the AFR voltage to the RPM signal the Emanage is reading....that would work perfectly, you'd just have to know what the various AFR voltages represent in temrs of rich/stoich/lean on a 0-5v scale.

and easier way would be just to shell out $3-400 and get an LM1, ZT2 or PLX M4/500 the only other real choices for datalogging AFRxRPM, etc.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:09 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Do you have an accurate way to read your RPM via emanage? I'm using a SAFC II, and it has a RPM readout. Its kind of a ghetto way to do it, but my LM-1 doesn't have a RPM input, it cost another $120 on top of the cost of the wideband itself (found out after purchase). So I just put my LM-1 readout next to my SAFC, and record both of them with my digital camera (using the oh so steady arm of the wife, lol) Play it back afterward and make my adjustments. Like I said, its not the best way, but it works. Eventually I'll get the RPM input for the LM-1 so I can datalog both.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by mtrai760
Do you have an accurate way to read your RPM via emanage? I'm using a SAFC II, and it has a RPM readout. Its kind of a ghetto way to do it, but my LM-1 doesn't have a RPM input, it cost another $120 on top of the cost of the wideband itself (found out after purchase). So I just put my LM-1 readout next to my SAFC, and record both of them with my digital camera (using the oh so steady arm of the wife, lol) Play it back afterward and make my adjustments. Like I said, its not the best way, but it works. Eventually I'll get the RPM input for the LM-1 so I can datalog both.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....hahah

That is the funniest thing I have read in a while. "Honey, want to go do some data logging?"
Old 04-21-2005, 09:46 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....hahah

That is the funniest thing I have read in a while. "Honey, want to go do some data logging?"
you know yall go out and take a ton of vids. i could hear neal say the same thing to brian............
Old 04-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you had a PRofec E-01, would that do what you want if you have the PLX 250 (or innovate Lc-1) coming into the profec?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:40 AM

Why not just go with the zeitronix. It datalogs when hooked up to a laptop right?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by Prodeje79
If you had a PRofec E-01, would that do what you want if you have the PLX 250 (or innovate Lc-1) coming into the profec?
I don't think the Profec accepts analog input by iteslf, only from the Emanage. he'd still need to switch to the gold board in his Emanage which gives you 2-3 0-5v displayable analog inputs. which then should be able to be displayed thorugh the E01

edit: and yeah, if it were me I'd got with the ZT-2 like Chris said. if you're gonna use the laptop for the emanage might as well use it for the wbo2 as well.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:01 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Well I think Neal wants to go with the AEM UEGO, or else there are other options for datalogging both A/F and RPM.

To the above: Yeah, my wife doesn't like it, she thinks the whole modding my car thing is a waste of money, and thinks my car is too fast already, lol. She gets scared when I shift and the rear tires light up. I've gotta find a way to make a camera mount or something.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:31 PM
SLOW

I'm probably going to go with the Innovative LM1 I can get one used for a pretty good price. Unless PLX tells me the R500 is coming out sometime soon. That's the one I really want. The AEM can datalog, that's not the point. The point is that it can't datalog RPM, which is needed for the datalogging you do to be of any value. Otherwise it just has a bunch of AFRs with timestamps which is totally useless for tuning. The innovative LM1 will datalog with RPM if I buy the extra adaptor, which is going to bring the price of the combo to about what the AEM UEGO assuming I can get the used one still.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:20 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

The LM-1 is a really nice unit, and the software it comes with is awsome. I also like being able to simulate a narrowband for my ECU, and the option to run a gauge with it. The controller itself is kinda large, and it doesn't come with the RPM logging cables, those are its only detractors I see.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:46 PM
SLOW

Just found out the PLX R500 is coming out in 4 days... on the 25th. That complicates my decision. I REALLY want the R500. Looks cool, sweet software, and so many capabilities. But it would end up costing me about $175 more than the LM-1 + rpm cable. I might just bite the bullet and go for it.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:33 PM

AEM windbang uego is accually what i switched over to.

didn't have to hard off time doing a basic tune with it. just found a nice stretch of road to rev out my car.

we were able to tune out the audible ping i was getting. i just need a chance to take it to a dyno and see how close or far we got. i have the guage mounted on the steering colum. sounds hookey but i can feel a difference from where i had it before the wide band. car was running super rich A/f would drop down to ~10:1 range and below. the car was driving really sluggish. i am running an a/f between 11.5-12.5:1 a/f. any leaner and i would begin to hear the motor pinging.

i have a friend that has used the aem guage and it was pretty much dead on with the dyno.

maybe next week sometime i will put it on a dyno and see how my tune did.
hopefully it comes out good i like the fact that i can make adjustments on the fly.

the time it takes me to make one adjustment with a dataloger assuming i have a laptop. i could have made 5-6 adjustment with the AEM UEGO.

plus i got a killer price on it.

got rid of my LM-1 so it made out of pocket expenses a minumum.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

heres a unit i just came across the Standard System comes with 1 wideband sensor, engine RPM, Battery Voltage, Warning output, and software. System has options for 1 additonal wideband oxygen sensor, (EGT) thermocouple, 2 analog inputs (pressure, flow, position etc), A/F voltage output. but it may use NTK sensors i cant find out which it uses but an extra sensor is $250

http://www.altronicsinc.com/index.html

$400 from jegs

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...73&prmenbr=361

just another alternative
Old 04-23-2005, 10:42 PM
SLOW

Nice, I will check it out. I called PLX friday to inquire about the R500, he said all preorders are going out first, if I were to order one right now it would be 3rd week of may he thinks. He said to try some resellers they may have purchased extras to sell. I'm going to do some more checking on monday.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by slimer
you know yall go out and take a ton of vids. i could hear neal say the same thing to brian............
damn you :P
Old 04-24-2005, 12:13 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
damn you :P
i couldnt help it.

is the tt kit here yet?