Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Different turbos

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Different turbos

could anyone enlighten me on the difference between a t3 and a t4 turbo. I understand the concept. Correct me if im wrong, but as a generalization: the t3 spools faster and provides less overall boost, the t3/t4 spools fast with more boost, and the t4 has less response and yet more boost. Im just curious what the mechanical differences are besides the shape of the flanges. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2005, 05:53 PM
SLOW

Not really. T3 is just a smaller turbo design, T4 is larger. T3/T4 has a t3 turbine and t4 compressor. Larger turbos spool slower in general, smaller ones spool faster.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Im izz sexay

T3 helps with the powerband down low. If you had a t4 for instance you'll get ultra power up in the 5k+ range. V8's can use t70's and such as they have a great exhaust output system that spools the turbo.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:25 PM

yeah, thats what ive come to undertand. Thats why im thinkin the t3/t4 would be the best choice cause you would kinda have a little of both worlds. Decent spool and decent boost if i understand correctly.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:39 AM

OK, now ive got another question. Does anyone know a good reputable place to get a turbo at a reasonable price. I see all kinds of them on ebay and some actually look pretty good like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33742 but im hesitant to buy such an important piece of equiptment from there since there is always the risk of getting skrewed over.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:51 AM

Try www.PHOENIXTURBO.COM they have good prices, and great customer service
Old 06-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

That looks like a good site, I got mine from www.full-race.com they have good prices and you can customize a size however you seem fit to your needs.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:01 AM

awesome, thanks guys, ill check those out.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:39 AM
SLOW

The designation T3 or T4 doesn't have anything to do with how much boost pressure you run, just so you know. T3/T4 is a bit small for our cars I say, unless you get a really big AR on the T3. Or alternately if you are an auto and want to come off the line with boost by brake torquing, a t3 hot side might be a good idea too.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
The designation T3 or T4 doesn't have anything to do with how much boost pressure you run, just so you know. T3/T4 is a bit small for our cars I say, unless you get a really big AR on the T3. Or alternately if you are an auto and want to come off the line with boost by brake torquing, a t3 hot side might be a good idea too.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldnt the only difference between a T4 and T3 turbine be that the T4 is harder to spool? At our boost levels, we arent going to max out the T3, and niether one is going to flow more air into the engine. Or would the T3 just produce more heat than a T4?
Old 06-19-2005, 12:01 PM

Correct me if im wrong but a larger turbo will flow more air into the engine then a smaller turbo at the same psi rate. Example: a t3 and a t4 with exast same boost levels, the t4 will produce more hp over the t3.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:17 PM

man, i think i just need to invest in corky bells book. Then maybe ill understand this stuff better. Im not going to start on the kit until i actually know im making an informed decision on what im buying and i guess i still have a lot to learn.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:24 PM

Yeah, tha book is very good and i thank hlh for recomending it to me.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:10 PM
TurboMax67

Where can you buy this book?

Old 06-19-2005, 01:29 PM
SLOW

Any bookstore will have it or can order it, or amazon.com.

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldnt the only difference between a T4 and T3 turbine be that the T4 is harder to spool? At our boost levels, we arent going to max out the T3, and niether one is going to flow more air into the engine. Or would the T3 just produce more heat than a T4?

I'm talking about hot sides here, not cold sides, for clarification. A larger turbine and wheel requires more exhaust flow to start spinning the wheel to speeds at which it can make boost, bernoullis principle and the fact that a larger wheel is just heavier than a smaller one. Thus a smaller exhaust side will start to spool earlier than a larger one, but it will also become a restriction earlier too. hurting your high RPM power. Perfect evidence of this is when mardigras was using his .58 a/r, his dyno dropped like a rock after about 5000rpm. He switched to his .81 A/R and he said the topend difference was night and day, and the spoolup didn't suffer either. .58 a/r t4 was just too small for the amount of air going through his engine, and it became extremely inefficient above 5000ish rpm. Too small a turbine can become a bottleneck in your exhaust system, just like too small a downpipe will.

The same basic principle applies to the cold side too, in that too small an A/R or wheel might not have the capacity to flow as much air as your engine wants to at higher RPM. As pretty much everyone knows intrinsically, people upgrade to larger turbos because their current turbo cannot flow the amount of air, either efficiently, or at all, as the larger one they want to upgrade to. Of course you can go too large and that leads to other problems, like a turbo that spools too late to be useful, or a turbo that surges.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:40 PM
TurboMax67

I'm talking about hot sides here, not cold sides, for clarification. A larger turbine and wheel requires more exhaust flow to start spinning the wheel to speeds at which it can make boost, bernoullis principle and the fact that a larger wheel is just heavier than a smaller one. Thus a smaller exhaust side will start to spool earlier than a larger one, but it will also become a restriction earlier too. hurting your high RPM power. Perfect evidence of this is when mardigras was using his .58 a/r, his dyno dropped like a rock after about 5000rpm. He switched to his .81 A/R and he said the topend difference was night and day, and the spoolup didn't suffer either. .58 a/r t4 was just too small for the amount of air going through his engine, and it became extremely inefficient above 5000ish rpm. Too small a turbine can become a bottleneck in your exhaust system, just like too small a downpipe will.

The same basic principle applies to the cold side too, in that too small an A/R or wheel might not have the capacity to flow as much air as your engine wants to at higher RPM. As pretty much everyone knows intrinsically, people upgrade to larger turbos because their current turbo cannot flow the amount of air, either efficiently, or at all, as the larger one they want to upgrade to. Of course you can go too large and that leads to other problems, like a turbo that spools too late to be useful, or a turbo that surges.
With that being said, what is the average 'ideal' size turbo to use for our cars?

Old 06-19-2005, 01:46 PM
SLOW

Depends how much money you have to spend, how much boost you want to run and how much power you want to make.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:25 PM

So between a T3 and T4, a T4, being bigger, will be able to flow more exhaust. That makes sense. Now say we compare a .63 T3 to a .81 T3, the actual housing size will remain the same, so the .81 A/R will flow no more exhaust than a .63 A/R. Is now the only difference the amount of heat one produces more than the other? On our low boost applications, we will not max out the speed capabilites of either one. What else is there factoring into the pros/cons of either one?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:59 PM

the larger A/R will flow more air but be laggier it has nothing to do with heat
Old 06-19-2005, 07:05 PM
SLOW

A .81 A/R T3 is physically larger than a .63 A/R T3 and will thus ultimately have the capacity to flow more air/exhaust. I don't understand what you are saying/asking about heat?

The only thing I can think you might be thinking of with regards to heat is that once you get way out of the efficiency of a turbo compressor side (usually an issue when you are trying to flow MORE air than it can efficiently handle). Compressing air always will generate heat. The difference is how efficiently you compress it. Compressing it inefficiently produces more heat than compressing it efficiently. That is why it's important to properly size your turbo. There is a certain range of boost pressure and airflow amount in which a turbo is most efficient, that is what a compressor map is charting.

When I say speed I am talking about shaft RPM of the turbo incase I wasn't clear on that.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:17 PM

Which turbo should i order from phoenixturbo.com?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:28 PM

have auto need of a turbo?Just wanna run a low psi but with a huge turbo for later on swapping tranny to manual..If run 4 psi with the same as maxinprogress would that be fine?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:31 PM
SomePsychoGuy

Several people have said the GT35R is a very good turbo for our cars. The GT series are more expensive but spool more quickly and are more effecient.

That being said DO NOT just buy a turbo just because other people run it and say it is good. Research. Read. Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is a very good start. Read the FAQs. Read howstuffworks.com . It is better to take your time and figure out what you need now than to buy it and have problems and then try and figure out where you went wrong and why you are not making enough power. Taking shortcuts in the research especially if you are starting from scratch is a very bad idea. Even if you are buying a kit you need to know how to work on it, for repairs or upgrades.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:19 AM

A .81 A/R T3 is physically larger than a .63 A/R T3 and will thus ultimately have the capacity to flow more air/exhaust. I don't understand what you are saying/asking about heat?

The only thing I can think you might be thinking of with regards to heat is that once you get way out of the efficiency of a turbo compressor side (usually an issue when you are trying to flow MORE air than it can efficiently handle). Compressing air always will generate heat. The difference is how efficiently you compress it. Compressing it inefficiently produces more heat than compressing it efficiently. That is why it's important to properly size your turbo. There is a certain range of boost pressure and airflow amount in which a turbo is most efficient, that is what a compressor map is charting.

When I say speed I am talking about shaft RPM of the turbo incase I wasn't clear on that.
I understood what you were talking about. As for the heat, I was wondering if there was heat tranfer from the turbine. I was just thinking about turbine trim, instead of A/R ratio. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:44 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

guys...go buy the book.

understand what your "goal PSI" and what your car can handle. then learn to read compressor maps and understand them. once you do that you'll know EXACTLY what you want in your turbo. trust me...the turbo size is key here. you want to be in the sweet spot of the turbo and produce the right boost at the right RPM that you want and can live with.