Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

JWT ECU, Z32 MAF, and 550's are in....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by slimer
Not to speak for him, but he opened his work at 6 and worked until 4. Thats only 2 hours to figure something out.
I was just kiddin around about my comment

-matt
Old 08-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Worked 14 hrs today so I have not had time to mess with the car. I will have most of the morning tomorrow though.

Too much I want to post about.

Tomorrow I will try a few things

1. Disconnect the intercooler piping and let the MAF pull ambient air

2. Ground the second Z32 MAF ground to the battery

3. Put the stock ECU back in and see what happens at idle

Over the weekend my brother will be in town and probably Neal so we will try a few other things.

1. By brother is bring his consult so we will try to get it linked up to the ECU. We could not get it to read my ECU in the past but we are going to try and hard wire it to the ECU

2. Dave is also gonna bring me a second set of 550's just to see if there is any difference in how the car runs with a different set

3. If Neal comes down he will bring a wide band so I can get some AF ratios

I would really like to get the car to work with this ECU. But if after this weekend nothing is resolved I am ripping it all out and putting the old set up back on.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:57 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

i have saturday off.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Worked 14 hrs today so I have not had time to mess with the car. I will have most of the morning tomorrow though.

Too much I want to post about.

Tomorrow I will try a few things

1. Disconnect the intercooler piping and let the MAF pull ambient air

2. Ground the second Z32 MAF ground to the battery

3. Put the stock ECU back in and see what happens at idle

Over the weekend my brother will be in town and probably Neal so we will try a few other things.

1. By brother is bring his consult so we will try to get it linked up to the ECU. We could not get it to read my ECU in the past but we are going to try and hard wire it to the ECU

2. Dave is also gonna bring me a second set of 550's just to see if there is any difference in how the car runs with a different set

3. If Neal comes down he will bring a wide band so I can get some AF ratios

I would really like to get the car to work with this ECU. But if after this weekend nothing is resolved I am ripping it all out and putting the old set up back on.

I have my 2nd Z maf ground attached to the 1st one. A gnd is a gnd electrically speaking, until you pile so many of them up on one point that it crates a problem. But, I don't think the 2 near the fuel rail being used as 1 or grounding both maf wires together would be an issue, but I have been wrong before
Old 08-02-2005, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bags
I have my 2nd Z maf ground attached to the 1st one. A gnd is a gnd electrically speaking, until you pile so many of them up on one point that it crates a problem. But, I don't think the 2 near the fuel rail being used as 1 or grounding both maf wires together would be an issue, but I have been wrong before
Yhea, I don't think it is the problem either but I will try it just to rule it out.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:53 AM

Car idles like a champ with a stock ECU!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

**** I was hoping you wouldnt say that as I am here looking at my JWT and my 550's right now thinking of what kinda trouble ima get into with my install in a week. HHMM.......dammit...!!!!!!!!! Why does JWT seem to **** things up once again.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Blu
the tits

just wait until they tell you your car is fukced up. They will say there is no way it should run with the 550's and stock ECU.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:23 AM
superdave2

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
just wait until they tell you your car is fukced up. They will say there is no way it should run with the 550's and stock ECU.
I really want to see a timing and afr datalog of how those 550's and z32maf work with the stock ECU. I fear timing will be somewhat ADVANCED over stock. IF fueling is off proprtionately throughout the load range, I could make custom sized injectors to work perfectly on this set up... just an idea.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:47 AM

Car idles like a champ with a stock ECU!!!
Let the Sh*t storm begin !!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by superdave2
I really want to see a timing and afr datalog of how those 550's and z32maf work with the stock ECU. I fear timing will be somewhat ADVANCED over stock. IF fueling is off proprtionately throughout the load range, I could make custom sized injectors to work perfectly on this set up... just an idea.
Drove the car with the 550's, Z32 MAF, and stock ECU. Drove great, car ran smoother than ever! Boosted just a bit in 2nd gear. About 2.5psi at 80% throttle and no knock via my SAFC, no back fires, no problems.

I am very please with these injectors bro! 550's that run that smooth with the stock ECU. Wow!
Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 AM

You boosted with the stock ECU...hmmm

-matt
Old 08-02-2005, 09:21 AM

My car still ran like poo with the Z32 MAF and stock ECU.

Unless I unplugged the charge piping - then it ran fine.

JWT instantly blamed my car and asked for pics of my setup because it had to be on the non-charged side. Of which of course I have none.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by matty
You boosted with the stock ECU...hmmm

-matt

I have too
Old 08-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Kevlo for President

So I guess the paint thinner fcked up your ECU too
Old 08-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Blu
the tits

Im awaiting a call back from Jim now. This ought to be interesting...
Old 08-02-2005, 09:54 AM

Are the problems only occuring w/ people who are running the 555cc injector program?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

No, iansw has the 370cc program IIRC.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:57 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by superdave2

I dyno'd my 400cc injecotrs, z32 maf, and stock ecu @ ~8 psi and I started leaning out @~4000 rpm @ WOT.Using 550's there may not have been an lean issues.

And emanage or SAFC will take care of the WOT problem, if there was one
Old 08-02-2005, 10:58 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

good to know your car works.... sorry about the headache with the JWT ecu mike.

This is why I decided long ago not to worry about it.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:10 AM

Talked to Ben. He was fairly cool. Of course he assumed I was doing something wrong but I was prepared for that.

Told me the Z32 MAF has to be on the non-charged side. Told him I knew this was recomended but the idle is still terrible with the intercooler piping removed and the MAF pulling in ambiant air. In addition, once I can get the car to idle decent with the JWT ECU it is fine driving around. Alos, the idle is fine with the Z32 MAF on the charged side when using my stock ECU. That proves that theory wrong.

When I told him the stock ECU works great with the Z32 MAF and 550's he said that is not possible. I explained to him why it is possible and that it infact does work and others have seen it work. He did not say much about that.

Proceeded to tell me that it could be my injectors since I did not let them flow test one. BS, they have flowed a DeatshWerks injector and it came out to exactly what it was said to flow. He said he needed to know exactly what mine flowed for the program to be correct....that is BS because even if they programed my ECU 500cc injectors the 550cc injectors would still work fine. Small difference in flow rates is not gonna cause the problems I have. Then he said there were other things like injector lag, which he is correct about. But if it was an injector lag issue the car would idle and drive bad, which is not that case. It is not the injectors and I proved that to him.

He said he wants to work with me to get things figured out and I agree. I would like to be able to run their ECU. He did not seem opposed to the fact that their program might have issues.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bags
I dyno'd my 400cc injecotrs, z32 maf, and stock ecu @ ~8 psi and I started leaning out @~4000 rpm @ WOT.Using 550's there may not have been an lean issues.

And emanage or SAFC will take care of the WOT problem, if there was one
i was going to do the same as you kirk (with a s/c of course), but i think that a 3:1 or 4:1 fmu disc will take care of the lean condition.

all that said, i'm considering the eu as well. i think that this set-up is fine for "lower" boost conditions, but I have a 2.87 pulley sitting on my shelf at home and would like everything to be a little safer.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:16 AM

mike, can we do mine this weekend. i had a bad experience with the last set of injectors and since we will have some extra hands....
Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Blu
the tits

Talked to Ben. He was fairly cool. Of course he assumed I was doing something wrong but I was prepared for that.

Told me the Z32 MAF has to be on the non-charged side. Told him I knew this was recomended but the idle is still terrible with the intercooler piping removed and the MAF pulling in ambiant air. In addition, once I can get the car to idle decent with the JWT ECU it is fine driving around. Alos, the idle is fine with the Z32 MAF on the charged side when using my stock ECU. That proves that theory wrong.

When I told him the stock ECU works great with the Z32 MAF and 550's he said that is not possible. I explained to him why it is possible and that it infact does work and others have seen it work. He did not say much about that.

Proceeded to tell me that it could be my injectors since I did not let them flow test one. BS, they have flowed a DeatshWerks injector and it came out to exactly what it was said to flow. He said he needed to know exactly what mine flowed for the program to be correct....that is BS because even if they programed my ECU 500cc injectors the 550cc injectors would still work fine. Small difference in flow rates is not gonna cause the problems I have. Then he said there were other things like injector lag, which he is correct about. But if it was an injector lag issue the car would idle and drive bad, which is not that case. It is not the injectors and I proved that to him.

He said he wants to work with me to get things figured out and I agree. I would like to be able to run their ECU. He did not seem opposed to the fact that their program might have issues.
Just a FYI for everyone, I sent one of my injectors for them to flow and it came out exactly to the same spec as they were flowed before.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
SLOW

Well I'm surprised as hell that Ben was cool about it and seems willing to work with you. I expected them to tell you your cars is jacked up and your Z32 maf is broken and your 555 injectors are really something totally different.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

After the car sat all night it was a real ***** to get it to run this moring. Stalled out 3 times before I could get it to stay running. Again, vacuum is real low and it is taking 5 minutes to get warmed up and vacuum to be normal.

One other thing I forgot. The idle air control valve is going crazy. I can hear it going in and out erratically, and this is pretty much all the time. It lessens a little after it is warmed up but still is working constantly. Just a sign of the car stuggling to idle I guess.

it sounds like you do have a vacuum leak and the IAC is trying to compensate for it...did ANYONE try to spray suspect areas w/ brakeclean or carb cleaner? if it is idling funny, take a can of brake clean and spray where you think the vacuum leak might be...i.e. man. gskt,fuel injectors,vacuum hoses. if the idle drops or car cuts off when you spray a particular area you found your leak.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:59 PM
SLOW

Did you read the rest of the thread larry? No symptoms whatsoever, no indications of any problems, when he simply swaps a stock ECU in.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Did you read the rest of the thread larry? No symptoms whatsoever, no indications of any problems, when he simply swaps a stock ECU in.

yeah...sorry bout that. havent hung out in this forum for a while and didnt see there where 3 pages! good advice anyway if you didnt already know. when i suspect a car has a vacuum leak thats what i do.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:37 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

i was going to do the same as you kirk (with a s/c of course), but i think that a 3:1 or 4:1 fmu disc will take care of the lean condition.

all that said, i'm considering the eu as well. i think that this set-up is fine for "lower" boost conditions, but I have a 2.87 pulley sitting on my shelf at home and would like everything to be a little safer.
sorry I did not add that, I threw in a 4:1 fmu disk and I was gloden using a SAFC2

I had to take fuel out of the system @ 5200+ rpm.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 PM

Put about 60 miles on the car today with the stock ECU, 550's and Z32 MAF. I think I am running really really rich at WOT. It probably was not the smartest thing, but I did some WOT throttle runs to around 5.5K. Car kinda hesitates and bucks a bit starting at 4K. It is worse in 3rd gear than 2nd. I don't think it is a lean condition because I hear no detonation and my Knock stays at 0 even with the heat we had today. With my other set up of stock injectors, stock maf, FMU, and SAFC I would get at least 10-20 knock when doing WOT in the heat.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:44 AM
Blu
the tits

Put about 60 miles on the car today with the stock ECU, 550's and Z32 MAF. I think I am running really really rich at WOT. It probably was not the smartest thing, but I did some WOT throttle runs to around 5.5K. Car kinda hesitates and bucks a bit starting at 4K. It is worse in 3rd gear than 2nd. I don't think it is a lean condition because I hear no detonation and my Knock stays at 0 even with the heat we had today. With my other set up of stock injectors, stock maf, FMU, and SAFC I would get at least 10-20 knock when doing WOT in the heat.

I get the same buck if I shift somewhat quick doing some spirited runs. What is your base FP at right now? Im thinking the bucking is from excess fuel being dumped in and not being controled. My EGT's are really low even in the heat Im barely reaching 710-720c and thats doing a 3rd gear pull in 100 degrees.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:49 AM

My EGT's are really low even in the heat Im barely reaching 710-720c and thats doing a 3rd gear pull in 100 degrees.
wow, i have never gotten my egt's over 600C
Old 08-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Blu
the tits

wow, i have never gotten my egt's over 600C
Interesting but you are also running an aftercooler setup so that plays a factor. On the dyno my car preformed well and was around 12.2 a/f with approx 810c EGT's so Im pretty sure its safe now except timing running low 700's. Im think about throwing it on the dyno in the next day or so just to make sure the a/f is safe for every day driving and doing a few pulls here and there.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:58 AM

I get the same buck if I shift somewhat quick doing some spirited runs. What is your base FP at right now? Im thinking the bucking is from excess fuel being dumped in and not being controled. My EGT's are really low even in the heat Im barely reaching 710-720c and thats doing a 3rd gear pull in 100 degrees.
Base FP is 45psi, I am really surprised I am not flooding at start up. I am sure we are running really rich on ths stock ECU. I am gonna try leaning things out after 4K a bit via my SAFC and see if I still get the hesitation feeling. My guess is that I am probably too rich to tune well with an SAFC and if I kept this set up would have to go with 500cc injectors. Funny thing is my car has never idled this smooth, ever!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:51 AM

Good to hear that the 550's are working for you. I'm not sure about the bucking issues, but the loss of power could definately be a rich condition. I know that even with my stock injectors in really hot weather, I will run super rich. Get a wideband soon though, just in case. I'm also curious to see how well you can tune those injectors and MAF without a JWT program. I might want to go that route eventually, but right now I need to save up for a stronger tranny. Maybe you could bring your base FP down, 43psi seems kinda high for 550's. Mine is set to ~38 psi and with the pressure rise screw back out quite a bit, I still hit high 10's AFR. But, like you said, WOT tuning runs probably aren't the best idea without the O2.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:48 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

after a few weeks of running the 570ccs and the Emange the ecu learned the injectors and my pos is gravy. Still haven't gotten into boost yet, dyno time set for thurs.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:02 PM

Got the consult data Jim Wolf wanted. Have not sent it to them yet

Timing at idle is all over the place. With the stock ECU is steady at 5 degrees. With the JWT ECU it jumps from 5-17-22-17-22-10 etc, etc. Not good.

Then later that night when I had a wide band hooked up I found that the JWT ECU is off the charts lean at idle. The wide band showed 21:1 AFR at idle. With the stock computer it was right at 14.7

I will see what they have to say about this on Monday.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Blu
the tits

Got the consult data Jim Wolf wanted. Have not sent it to them yet

Timing at idle is all over the place. With the stock ECU is steady at 5 degrees. With the JWT ECU it jumps from 5-17-22-17-22-10 etc, etc. Not good.

Then later that night when I had a wide band hooked up I found that the JWT ECU is off the charts lean at idle. The wide band showed 21:1 AFR at idle. With the stock computer it was right at 14.7

I will see what they have to say about this on Monday.
I think I will now hold off on sending mine back until I hear what they tell you. Now that you were able to get raw data they cant back there way out and blame your car. BTW I hope you got some printed data bc they will be wanting you to fax it to them. I might just wait and tell them once they fix yours and its correct to use the same EXACT program for mine. Man what a nightmare these guys are.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:52 PM

I sent them mine months ago.

They will ask if it on the non-charged side. If you say it is, they will want pics. If you say it isn't on the charged side - they will blame that.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:06 PM

I think I will now hold off on sending mine back until I hear what they tell you. Now that you were able to get raw data they cant back there way out and blame your car. BTW I hope you got some printed data bc they will be wanting you to fax it to them. I might just wait and tell them once they fix yours and its correct to use the same EXACT program for mine. Man what a nightmare these guys are.

I have all the consult info printed out.

I can't see how they are going to try and blame my car. As far as the Z32 MAF being on the charged side, car idles perfectly with it on the charges side with the stock ECU. Under boost it is fine with both the stock ECU and JWT ECU. So there is really no way they can pull that stuff with me.

Quick Reply: JWT ECU, Z32 MAF, and 550's are in....