Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

My Emanage Ultimate is here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 07:32 AM
3.5 in the works

My Emanage Ultimate is here!

I'm planning on installing it this weekend, if all goes well.

I'll use this thread to document the install and subsequent setup/testing etc. so anyone who's interested can check back here for updates.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sweeeeeeeeet.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:42 AM

Man it's about time someone got this, Now go and put that thing in your car, I can't wait to see what happens.Good Luck
Old 08-19-2005, 09:03 AM

Finally...if all goes well with the install and the rev limiter checks out to work, Ill be ordering

Who did you order from?

-matt
Old 08-19-2005, 11:00 AM

Awesome, We'll all be patiently awaiting your research results...
Old 08-19-2005, 11:04 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by matty
Finally...if all goes well with the install and the rev limiter checks out to work, Ill be ordering

Who did you order from?

-matt
I got mine from Sharif (Forged Internals) over on the 350Z board.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
I got mine from Sharif (Forged Internals) over on the 350Z board.
Yea Ive been following that thread and sending him multiple PM's

Im amazed no-body on there has tested the raised rev limit on the VQ yet...I have a feeling someon has tested it, and it didnt work
Old 08-19-2005, 12:07 PM
3.5 in the works

I know what you mean. And every time someone asks the question (4 or 5 times now) no one answers. I suspect there's only 2 or 3 guys with an EU installed, and of those only Sharif *may* have tried it. But he hasn't answered the question specifically (yet).

Eh, whatever. No matter what the answer would be I definitely WILL be trying it once I get mine up and running.

EDIT: just got a PM from Sharif - he said that he has NOT tried to extend the rev limit but doesn't think it will work. We shall see...
Old 08-19-2005, 01:06 PM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

let the long sleepless nights begin
Old 08-19-2005, 04:20 PM

finally someone got it, hurry up and install it! so we can see how it goes.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:35 PM

Hopefully the rev limiter works... that will make it or break it for me.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Hopefully the rev limiter works... that will make it or break it for me.
If removing the rev limit is possible, those will be a popular mod soon.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:46 PM

EDIT: just got a PM from Sharif - he said that he has NOT tried to extend the rev limit but doesn't think it will work. We shall see...
"The rev limit increase will likely not work, based on how the EU is wired" Sharif

Should be interesting to see if it works
Are you running a Wideband as well or no ??

-matt
Old 08-20-2005, 12:44 AM
3.5 in the works

I have a Zietronix...
Old 08-20-2005, 06:04 AM
Kevlo for President

If you need any help to find what wires you need, IM me
Kevlo911 on AIM
Old 08-20-2005, 06:08 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Nice. I should get mine within the week as well. I have zeitronix too. Do you have the voltage amounts for the A/F?

Dandy, aim me at slimermax1 and we can work through some of the install. I think that for the first week or so of my install I will bypass the s/c and try to get a NA base tune for the lower rpm levels first.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:58 PM

Giving this thread a Nice needed BUMP

-matt
Old 08-21-2005, 09:22 PM
3.5 in the works

Hey guys.. sorry for not updating until now. It's turned out to be a busier weekend than anticipated. Ended up having to run a few errands and deal with some computer issues (lightning is not good for computers apparently-lol), not to mention company dropping in.

Bottom line, I got about 90% of the wiring done. The EU is in the car and up and running fine so far but without crank input yet (hopefully tomorrow night) or WB or my VIAS hooked up. So I can't see a/f, rpm, or timing but everything else seems good so far. I only had it running for about 20 mins to 1/2 hr before running out of time but I'll get into it in more detail as the days follow.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:26 PM

Hey guys.. sorry for not updating until now. It's turned out to be a busier weekend than anticipated. Ended up having to run a few errands and deal with some computer issues (lightning is not good for computers apparently-lol), not to mention company dropping in.

Bottom line, I got about 90% of the wiring done. The EU is in the car and up and running fine so far but without crank input yet (hopefully tomorrow night) or WB or my VIAS hooked up. So I can't see a/f, rpm, or timing but everything else seems good so far. I only had it running for about 20 mins to 1/2 hr before running out of time but I'll get into it in more detail as the days follow.
Im gonna need your phone number in a few weeks when I do mine

-matt
Old 08-21-2005, 09:28 PM
3.5 in the works

Slimer, here's the voltage graph for the Zeitronix...

Old 08-22-2005, 03:50 AM
Banned

Hey Dandy, I met your friend at the track yesterday with the Camaro.

Keep up the good work on the install will be interesting to hear the results.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:49 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by Jime
Hey Dandy, I met your friend at the track yesterday with the Camaro.

Keep up the good work on the install will be interesting to hear the results.
Actually there were 2 there, one with a Camaro and one with a Firebird but yes as soon as he said he met a "5th gen Maxima guy" I figured it was you.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Banned

Actually there were 2 there, one with a Camaro and one with a Firebird but yes as soon as he said he met a "5th gen Maxima guy" I figured it was you.
It could have been the Firebird too, I get them mixed up.

Even if this doesn't work on the 3.5 I am probably going to go back to a 4th Gen for next year, my lease is up in Oct so not sure exactly what I am going to do yet.

Hopefully the E-Manage will allow enough control over the ECU to make a good consistent bracket car, which is what I am trying to get. Still way too much variation in times with the 3.5 and 3.0 with stock ECU even with having fixed resistors in the air intake temp, cooling temp etc that I have done.

Oh ya, can you tie a Wideband into the EU? If so does it matter what kind or does it just have to be a 0-5v?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jime
It could have been the Firebird too, I get them mixed up.

Even if this doesn't work on the 3.5 I am probably going to go back to a 4th Gen for next year, my lease is up in Oct so not sure exactly what I am going to do yet.

Hopefully the E-Manage will allow enough control over the ECU to make a good consistent bracket car, which is what I am trying to get. Still way too much variation in times with the 3.5 and 3.0 with stock ECU even with having fixed resistors in the air intake temp, cooling temp etc that I have done.

Oh ya, can you tie a Wideband into the EU? If so does it matter what kind or does it just have to be a 0-5v?
Jime, you should get a 4gen with a 3.5. Best of both worlds.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Banned

Way too much work for me. And I still don't know if I can get a 4th Gen to run consistently let alone a 3.5 in one.

What I want is a 14 sec car that can run within 1 or 2 hundredths or less all day long. So far I havent been able to do that with either of my 4th Gens or the 5th Gen.

I can't even get 60' times consistent within 2 hundredths. Even yesterday I went between a 1.97 and 2.05 and thats 8 hundredths. Cannot win bracket races like that unless you sandbag and are lucky. Thats what I am doing now. Its ok for sport compact events but it won't cut it against the v8 guys who can run the numbers bang on run after run.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:42 AM
3.5 in the works

Jime, the guy with the Camaro (79 iirc?) won his bracket, the guy with the Firebird (94) may have been the one you talked to.

Yes the EU has an input for a WB. IIRC it wants to see a 0-5v type. I'm not sure how well it will work with a WB that's not 0-5 (such as my non-linear Zeitronix). There are several sensors preset in the software but there's also a couple of boxes in which you can input a range.. this isn't well documented in the manuals so it bears more investigation. I'm going to try to adjust the ranges and play with it a bit on mine first to see what happens.

As far as racing goes, there appear to be a couple of features on the EU that may be of interest, even for stock applications (ie-no nitrous). For example it looks like there's some kind of launch and power shift rev limit controls. I haven't really checked these out much yet as I need to first get everything up and running properly (obviously).
Old 08-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Kevlo for President

Well get to it

Test out the crank signal and the revlimit.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:27 PM
3.5 in the works

Yes yes.. I'm just as impatient as everyone else to see if this thing works but you do realize I can't spend every waking minute on it right? I will try to do some more this evening.

Hey does anyone know if the cam and crank signals on the VQ30DET are the same as on the DE?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned

Jime, the guy with the Camaro (79 iirc?) won his bracket, the guy with the Firebird (94) may have been the one you talked to.

Yes the EU has an input for a WB. IIRC it wants to see a 0-5v type. I'm not sure how well it will work with a WB that's not 0-5 (such as my non-linear Zeitronix). There are several sensors preset in the software but there's also a couple of boxes in which you can input a range.. this isn't well documented in the manuals so it bears more investigation. I'm going to try to adjust the ranges and play with it a bit on mine first to see what happens.

As far as racing goes, there appear to be a couple of features on the EU that may be of interest, even for stock applications (ie-no nitrous). For example it looks like there's some kind of launch and power shift rev limit controls. I haven't really checked these out much yet as I need to first get everything up and running properly (obviously).

It was the 94 Firebird guy that I met, big fellow.

Good on the WB, both of the ones I have are 0-5v. The launch control sounds interesting too, I am presently running a 4 wheel lineloc.

Ya some of that stuff you just have to play with to figure out what you can use it for. As long as you know the parameters or if they can be configured thats great. My Tech Edge wideband has a couple of those as well. I use on for the EGT input.

Sounds like they put a lot of thought into this and listened to a lot of users.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Kevlo for President

Yes yes.. I'm just as impatient as everyone else to see if this thing works but you do realize I can't spend every waking minute on it right? I will try to do some more this evening.

Hey does anyone know if the cam and crank signals on the VQ30DET are the same as on the DE?
\

Same crank and cam sensors, but differ from VQ35. That is my main worry about the EU, reading the Crank sensor.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:12 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
\

Same crank and cam sensors, but differ from VQ35. That is my main worry about the EU, reading the Crank sensor.

Yeah, me too. I know the VQ35 is different but the VQ30DET is listed in the vehicle list in the software so if the sensors are the same on the DE it *should* work as long as the firmware is actually programmed for it? The Z guys don't need the cam connected but I have a feeling I will...

Crossing my fingers this works - hopefully I can get a chance to try it tonight.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:20 PM

gluck man =D i hope u get it to work.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:34 PM

Yeah, me too. I know the VQ35 is different but the VQ30DET is listed in the vehicle list in the software so if the sensors are the same on the DE it *should* work as long as the firmware is actually programmed for it? The Z guys don't need the cam connected but I have a feeling I will...

Crossing my fingers this works - hopefully I can get a chance to try it tonight.
I thought you stated you already had the car up and running with the EU

-matt
Old 08-22-2005, 02:45 PM

what do you mean you cant spend every waking minute on it!?!? just ditch work, or school and get to it! haha just messing with ya, im sitting here all impatient waiting to find out if this is going to work or not!
Old 08-22-2005, 07:25 PM
3.5 in the works

Matty I think perhaps you read it too quickly and got excited.
..here's my original post.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Kevlo for President

Why are you wasting time on the org
Go get a flash light and wirecutters and get to work.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:46 PM
3.5 in the works

I already did that Kev. Actually I was going to post but you jumped in too quickly!

The bad news is it looks like the crank issue strikes again!! I think the EU is not picking it up properly. I can see rpms using the coil outputs and it seems to be able to advance timing but I will have to verify that with a scan tool to make sure it is working, not just displaying it. You can see it displaying ign adjustment +/- but not actual net timing. Didn't test rev limit yet. I have a long day coming up tomorrow so I'm not spending any more time on it tonight. There's the possibility it's a wiring issue too, and I will check that out, but I doubt it's the case as I've been careful and double checked everything.

Don't anyone run out and buy an EU just yet... this may take some time as I'm going to follow up with Sharif and Greddy on this. I'm determined to get the crank signal working one way or another. In the meantime, I need to verify whether the timing advance and rev limit will work using ignition coil-based rpm.

Kev, when you and Joe were working on the SMT, what was the main issue... noise on the signals? Did it require some kind of filter? I think I'm going to throw a scope on this thing and check out all the signals, if for nothing else to make sure it's not a wiring boo-boo.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Kevlo for President

Kev, when you and Joe were working on the SMT, what was the main issue... noise on the signals? Did it require some kind of filter? I think I'm going to throw a scope on this thing and check out all the signals, if for nothing else to make sure it's not a wiring boo-boo.

We had noise spikes so the RPM would not read correctly. Used a noise filter.

You have a scope?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Kevlo for President

I will add, using the filter is not a good option, I dont like it at all. SMT is starting to **** me off.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:03 PM
3.5 in the works

I have a friend who works in electronics, thus giving me access to top of the line equipment. I talked to him tonight, we're gonna do it Thurs night as I'm busy for the next 2 nights. Plus I promised Joe I'd scope the crank and haven't gotten to it yet. Do you think the noise is due to lack of good shielding on the signal line? Or just at the sensor pickup. Maybe we could improve the shielding if that's the culprit...

If I understand correctly, this issue was a problem on the Z too before the last firmware update, which fixed it on the VQ35.

I don't have AIM... do you have MSN Messenger? dvrditar @ hotmail . com (no spaces)

Quick Reply: My Emanage Ultimate is here!