Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

walbro fuel pump, fmu, sparkplug question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

walbro fuel pump, fmu, sparkplug question

So i just got my walbro fuel pump and my 8:1 obx fmu, it will still be about two weeks before i get my v1 blower and bracket, and i wont be able to work on my car for about a month. Question is will it be safe if i install the fuel pump and the fmu on my still N/A maxima. Reason I ask is because I going to change my fuel filter tomorrow and i taught to might as well do it at the same time. Also I'm at about 59,985 and I want to change my sparkplugs, i'm just not sure if I should replace them with oem's or use colder plugs as a friend suggested. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes you can install the pump and the FMU. The FMU won't do anything because it won't activate unless it sees boost. The fuel pump will raise the base fp a bit, but it won't affect anything really (might run a tiny bit richer than you would normally). I ran my max without the blower (just FMU/fuel pump) for a while with no problems. I would also just throw in some one step colder NGK's. No point in spending 60 dollars on OEM platinums that you won't be using anymore after the blower goes on.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:44 PM

all of the above will be safe, albeit non-ideal.

If you don't have one already, look into getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.. its cheap insurance.. lets you bump the base pressure up or down as needed.

a colder plug will be fine too... i would run a smaller gap as well, to prevent blowing out the spark under load... (once boosted i mean)

a note about walbro pumps... i found out the hard way. (and have read too many posts by others with similar issues (on various cars) to ignore it)

they are VERY finicky to running dry.. moreso than stock pumps. once or twice, and expect a pump failure within months. sometimes you get lucky, but like i said, i've had, and heard of the problem too many times to ignore it. i love the pump, don't get me wrong (i'm using a 255, high pressure) - just giving you the heads up if you let her drop down to 1/8 tank or lower frequently.. theyre finicky.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:46 PM
SomePsychoGuy

I have also noticed they don't like to run on E on several people's cars.

I have heard that hard wiring it to the battery helps with most issues with Walbros though.