Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

CAI caused stalling/driveability issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:52 PM
Administrator

CAI caused stalling/driveability issues

Background info:
Many months ago, when I reclocked the blower and made the custom 3" charge pipe, I made a custom CAI at the same time.

Here's how it went:

Blower>3.5" aluminum tube>3.5" rubber elbow>4" K&N filter

The I.D. of the 4" filter fit snuggly over the 3.5" elbow's O.D. I then used a worm clamp to secure it.

The K&N filter is capable of flowin' 900cfm. It's overkill I know, but I picked it up for $5 at Stillen day just for this project. The filter was hardly used, but I cleaned and re-oiled it properly anyway.

On to the problem....

With the CAI installed, the car would stall every once in a while when I came to a stop. If the car did not stall, it came awfully close to stalling as the RPM needle would drop to the bottom, catch itself before hitting dead zero, and rise a little. Pretty darn annoying.

I drove like this for a few months. Then I removed the CAI and ran filterless for a few days. Car ran like a champ!! Then I put on the K&N pancake filter Stillen provided in the kit and drove that for a few weeks. Car still ran like a champ!!

So, the CAI was the culprit.

Why did the CAI cause my stalling/driveability issues?

Cliffs:
Installed CAI
car stalled often
removed CAI
car runs normal
why?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I am experiencing a similiar problem. I've posted this in my thread but am interested in ideas. I'm not running a Stillen filter, but it is a CAI. My MAF is mounted vertically coming out of the fender. Then, the intake turns 90 degrees and toward the turbo.

Where was your MAF and did you relocate when taking out the CAI? I've heard MAF location has caused some stalling/idle issues.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:26 AM

What kind of bov are you using? How tight is the setting/ is it really touchy or jerky on and off the throttle?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Looking forward to hearing more about Wizard's issues.

As far as mine, everything runs fine. Not established exactly where my Bypass valve is set, but I know that is is about 5-6psi as that is my max boost currently. This is also consistent with my boost controller setting (Apexi AVC-r). I have been running a little lean, which may play a role. bumpted fuel pressure to about 40psi at idle (rises to 50psi at wot). Will see if this helps on my end. I've also just recently read that sometimes modified cams can contribute to idle issues. Unclear if this may translate in some cases of stalling?
Any other thoughts?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I am experiencing a similiar problem. I've posted this in my thread but am interested in ideas. I'm not running a Stillen filter, but it is a CAI. My MAF is mounted vertically coming out of the fender. Then, the intake turns 90 degrees and toward the turbo.

Where was your MAF and did you relocate when taking out the CAI? I've heard MAF location has caused some stalling/idle issues.
MAF is in standard location along charge pipe. See pic. I did not change the orientation of the MAF at all.

Ian has some MAF issues when his Z32 MAF (in a 4th gen) with regards to orientation. Once he corrected it, his issues went away.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by vortechpower
What kind of bov are you using? How tight is the setting/ is it really touchy or jerky on and off the throttle?
I've thought about the BOV too.
When I first had my problem, I though for sure it was the BOV. I had a HKS SSQV. The HKS SSQV is known to cause major compressor surge and is non-adjustable. I then installed a Vortech Race BOV (adjustable, however, I've yet to mess with it) and the problem persisted. I then put the Bosch BOV (non-adjustable) back on thinking for sure my problem would go away. It didn't! So, I knew my car ran perfectly fine with the old charge pipe setup with Bosch BOV and pancake filter, so by elimination, it had to be the CAI. Once I removed the CAI, the car has been fine ever since. I even have the Vortech Race BOV installed currently and the car runs pefectly.

With all 3 BOV's, it was never touchy or jerky on or off the throttle.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This may be stupid, but I had the same problem and had to re-tune the car with the CAI. At first I tried it when I had the S-AFC with no luck. Once I went to the eManage then it was much eisier to manage this problem and now it idles just fine.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Administrator

I never said anything about idling issues. Car has always idled fine.

Sounds like you may have a different problem. Let me get this straight. You installed a CAI and your car then idled poorly? Your car stalled too when coming to a stop? Is this correct?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I never said anything about idling issues. Car has always idled fine.

Sounds like you may have a different problem. Let me get this straight. You installed a CAI and your car then idled poorly? Your car stalled too when coming to a stop? Is this correct?
Yes, idle & it would stall when came to a stop...all of what is happening to you. The eManage is what finally fixed it. Well ajusting it right did.

Basicly you have the problem when there is a load? Right
Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Administrator

^^Yes, I have a problem when there is a load present.

Could you please describe your CAI setup? ie parts used etc etc like I did in my first post? Thanks.

I'm still stumped why I had these issues. Others have CAI's and don't have these problems.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:41 AM
Latinmax2

Sorry, The org has my profile all messed up for some reason and I could not login as myself. So I had to use another login.... this sucks!

At any rate, I have a write-up on what I did. The only difference is that I now have cut the inner fender well so that I can do...

SC=== elbo === MAF === PVC pipe === filter

Old 09-11-2006, 06:56 AM

Wizard--Yours will be different than that considering you have a 99 and your MAF is on the charged side

Try turning the MAF so that black square peice is pointing up. (Your charge pipe might not allow you to do this, but this might solve your problem)

-matt
Old 09-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I've continued to adjust and tune my car. I re-adjusted my AAC valve and the idle has stablized. Also, the idle does not dip below 500rpms when stopping...so no recent stalling or near stall. Of course, this is a 3rd gen adjustment.