Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

S/C install... oil feed T fitting won't clear to install!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

S/C install... oil feed T fitting won't clear to install!

I gave up on my s/c install after trying and failing to find some way to get the T-fitting and oil line fitting to thread into the engine block. Basically, it appears that the 120-degree oil line fitting can't rotate because it cannot clear the axle. A diagram:

A (120-degree fitting- attaches to oil line)
/
/
/
/-------I------- Engine Block

While trying to thread this fitting (asembled) into the engine block, the 120-degree fitting can't clear the axle, so it can't rotate and the fitting can't thread in. Trying to assemble the fitting in parts yields the same result- I can't thread anything on tight because the 120-degree fitting doesn't rotate (clearance issue, again)

*EDIT* The above diagram is inaccurate because the site is removing the spaces. If you need a pic, let me know.

Now I KNOW you guys didn't remove your axles to install the oil line and install your superchargers. Anyone have a link to a fitting that WON'T give me this problem? I can send a pic of the fitting I currently have if that will help..
Old 09-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I put the fitting on first then connected the sending unit, then the oil line. It is alittle cramped, but it fit.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:43 AM

how did you get it (the 120-degree fitting) to rotate so that you could thread it into the rest of the fitting?

Did you thread the t-fitting and the 120-degree fitting in one piece into your engine block?

Mine won't clear the axle (where it says (A) in my diagram...)
Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 AM

Post a pic of what you are talking about... I can't see what you are saying. It was a bit tricky... kinda like a puzzle.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:20 PM

Noo...put the straight piece into the block, tighten it full tight but make sure the threads for the oil pressure sender are pointing side, NOT up or DOWN>>>Then screw in the oil-pressure sender into the T and tighten that down full. Then route your Oil-Feed line down to where you want it, and connect the 120 degree fitting to the other side of the T-Fitting

Should look like this

120degree=====T OIL pressure sender T======BLOCK
Old 09-20-2006, 05:09 AM

I am pretty sure I have the orientation correct. Here is my fitting, assembled:

Here is my fitting in position: Yes, I realize that it is not threaded in- after I couldn't address this glitch I put oil and the sending unit back in the car. Note that the 120-degree fitting will not clear the boot- as you move further in (to the actual position where the oil fitting actually threads into the block), the axle actually prevents the 120-degree fitting from rotating as you attempt to thread the entire assembly into position.

Another photo:

And finally yet another:

I realize that my fitting may not be exactly the same as that used by others, and this may definitely be causing me problems. Can anyone send me a link to a vendor site for a vendor that supplied a fitting that DOES fit without these clearance issues?

If the pictures don't clarify things, let me know (although I doubt I will try to thread it in again, since it requires me to expend (more) motor oil)...
Old 09-20-2006, 07:19 AM

From what I can see, it looks like you need to reposition your fitting assembly 90 degrees. By this I mean the male-male threaded adapter end needs to be threaded into the block, not the female T end you show in the pics. HTH
Old 09-20-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by KMax2988
From what I can see, it looks like you need to reposition your fitting assembly 90 degrees. By this I mean the male-male threaded adapter end needs to be threaded into the block, not the female T end you show in the pics. HTH

You will also note that the orientation of a couple of the photos I posted was off- these pics were taken at a 90-degree angle, so tilt your head to the side... The black rubber object in the upper right of the photos is my CV boot. I assume that you may have mis-percieved the way I was threading the thing in because of the angle the photo was taken at. The left hand side is actually the bottom of the car, so forgive the jacked-up angle...

I run into the same problem regardless of what order things are threaded into whatever. K, are you suggesting the following:

/----------T-----engine block ?

The above is what I have. I have tried threading the gold-colored adapter end into the engine block first, then threading the rest of the fitting onto that... so that the assembly looks the same way that it does in my first picture (see my previous post). But I still can't rotate the rest of the fitting so that it threads on because the axle blocks it from rotating.

Anyone have a link to the site they used to purchase their fitting, and the specifications for it?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:43 AM

Yes, the straight through section of the fitting assembly should be in line with the axis of the hole in the engine block. When everything's installed the oil pressure sender should be rotated 90 degrees axially relative to its original position (which was in line with the axis of the hole in the engine block). Check out the pic on page 17 of Ptatoed's install directions in the FAQ. If that's the way you have it oriented then I'm not sure as to what the problem might be at this time.