Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Oil pressure sensor/sender questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Oil pressure sensor/sender questions...

I noted this set of questions hasn't EXACTLY been posted before...

I see teflon paste should be applied to the T-fitting for the oil line. My questions, never having used the stuff before, are as follows:

Do I coat ALLL the threads of the fitting with the paste, or just the ones still exposed (the excess thread, I suppose)

Do I use Teflon paste where the fitting threads into the oil pan/engine block? (I assume not because if it comes off into the block at some later point, I am MORE than screwed)...

Last question... is the orientation of the oil pressure sensor critical? If my T is actually facing the ground (i.e., the OPS is actually threaded directly UP into the T) do I have a problem? If so, what kind of problems can I expect from it being oriented that way?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RichMax
Do I coat ALLL the threads of the fitting with the paste, or just the ones still exposed (the excess thread, I suppose)
Coat/wrap all the threads. Start coating/wrapping the threads 1/4 inch up the thread from the tip, this will ensure it won't get mixed in the oil. Just use common sense and know/estimate how much of the thread will be "threaded" and not exposed to the oil and you'll be fine. Wrapping the exposed threads is pretty much useless; if the oil gets that far, you have a leak. You want to prevent the leak, not stop it.

Do I use Teflon paste where the fitting threads into the oil pan/engine block? (I assume not because if it comes off into the block at some later point, I am MORE than screwed)...
See above

Last question... is the orientation of the oil pressure sensor critical? If my T is actually facing the ground (i.e., the OPS is actually threaded directly UP into the T) do I have a problem? If so, what kind of problems can I expect from it being oriented that way?
I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt it. It's just a sensor. Most sensors are not orientation specific. The only slightly potential problem I could see is if you ran over something and it snagged the OPS which is dangling down. That would be very BAAAD.

Are you not able to thread the "T" so the sensor is parallel to the ground?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:12 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Originally Posted by The Wizard

I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt it. It's just a sensor. Most sensors are not orientation specific. The only slightly potential problem I could see is if you ran over something and it snagged the OPS which is dangling down. That would be very BAAAD.

Are you not able to thread the "T" so the sensor is parallel to the ground?
How much leaking (if any) should you expect in roughly 2 min of operation? I assume none. let me know...
Old 09-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Administrator

How much leaking (if any) should you expect in roughly 2 min of operation? I assume none. let me know...
There should not be any leaking. If you don't have a leak after two minutes, you're not out of the woods just yet. The oil is not yet at full operating temperature (maximum viscosity isn't reached yet). I suggest you double check if you have a leak or not after you've fully installed the SC and gone for a decent drive. Then get under the car again, check for leaks, recheck belt tension, etc etc. With the car on, make sure the belt is tracking properly.