Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

350z or FI my Max?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

350z or FI my Max?

What's up guys? I maybe thinking to far ahead but within the next 1.5 years I need to make some good decisions.

Basically my Max is done, the body is done, interior is done, trans is done, and it has a VQ35. I have a very large sum of $ invested into it and it really is a show car and NOT my daily driver. My last resort is to spend another few K and FI it.

Here's where I start to wonder. Is it really worth to mod a FWD car? I'm not concerned with the depreciation value as I don't plan to sell it ANYTIME SOON but will care a little about the value a year or year and a half from now. I basically love the car to death and it really is a show stopper but it lacks FI. Granted the VQ35 is nice and all but it's not more than 210 or so FWHP.

I can attain a 350z within the next 1-1.5 years. I can sell the Max and use that money towards the Z. I DO NOT WANT TO BE IN MORE THAN 3-5K in debt if I do obtain the Z. 3-5K I can pay off in a few months. I basically want to save my $ and start investing but again have a nice ride. Which is why I'm adamant on not being in more than 3-5K in debt. The Z's are VERY cheap now. And I hope I can get a good price for the max a year or year and half from now either selling it as a whole or parting it out.

The fact that the Z will be bone stock sort of kills me and I know I'll be modding that soon. With mods comes a lot of $ and that's my other dilemma.

So should I keep my heavily modded Max and add the FI. Or should I go with a stock Z?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:21 AM

the z is a beautiful car and would be lovely to have, mod, and/or boost.

Look at the Z and the various mods yo can do for the Z, sadly you'll realize that most mods are pretty expensive for the Z. Z's are getting cheaper especially with the 07's out now.

if you are happy with the Max and plan to keep it for another couple of years, boost it. the Z you'll have payments, you'll want to not mod it to keep the warantee in tack. If you are planning to get rid of the Max soon, stop the mods, and save up for the Z, and sell the max when the time comes.

I say if your income can pay for a Z and mods, go for it
Old 05-15-2007, 04:25 AM

Income can probably just pay for the Z considering I want to invest, not spend on mods that depreciate in value. So virtually the Z will be stock for quite a while and if any mods are done they will be subtle, basic wheels, suspension, etc.

The Max on the other hand will be a full blown race car + show car.

I'm concerned primarily about the reliability of having a boosted car. I don't want any small issues like starting, not running properly etc. I want the Max to be reliable boosted as if it were my daily driver.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:33 AM

if you'd be happy with a stock Z, then by all means. If I had a Z it would have to get some mods, and for me... eventually the HKS TT kit. The Z could be fun with some mods that wont void warantee.

If I were you, I'd boost the Max and keep saving. you'll spend far more on the Z but wont go, or feel as fast as a boosted Max. Max you can still seat 3-4 more people, trunk space, etc.

The Max can be boosted and reliable but you have to make sure to boost it properly, the install is done well and with attention to detail, and if planned well shouldnt give problems to you
Old 05-15-2007, 05:25 AM

I appreciate your info. I've spent a lot on the Max and it would suck to leave the most important thing out. I'll need to research on whether I should go with a S/C or T/C.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 AM

Stick with the Max...

Chances are when the time comes, you won't get anywhere close to what you would want to get for the Max. Like Deezy said, the max will be and FEEL faster.

Oh and if this is your DD, go SC. It's plug and play, and wont give you as much problems than TC.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

The Max won't feel faster. It'll feel scarier and the speed will surprise you more because the car was not made for it. There is a BIG difference.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
The Max won't feel faster. It'll feel scarier and the speed will surprise you more because the car was not made for it. There is a BIG difference.
So theoretically speaking any car SHOULD feel scarier if it didn't come with FI from the factory.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:02 AM

Of course it should. There is virtually no car -- let alone econo family sedan -- that is made to take twice as much as it puts out stock. Sometimes there's wiggle room if the manufacturer designs the car for the tuner market, but it's never enough that the car will feel as good when modded to a certain level as a car that comes at that level from the factory.

There are degrees, though. Putting down big power in a Maxima is taking it way outside the envelope of what it was designed for. Putting down the same power in a capable sports car (Z, Evo, STI, Mustang, etc.) is not nearly as bad: the car's stock numbers are higher from the get-go, and the whole car is tuned to make use of power in ways that the Maxima never was and frankly never will be.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 AM

Im gonna have to agree with doodfood on this one. Our cars werent meant for the amount of power that a FI setup will put on it.

But then again, the people that actually go through with doing FI on a Maxima dont expect it to be like, say a Z. We KNOW we'll have traction problems at 1st and 2nd (I only have a 3.5 swap, and thats already my case). The real question for us is, once we get into 3rd (the 1st useful gear, lol), how quickly can we come up on that Z? Get what Im saying?

Also, anytime that you do FI on a car that didnt come with that, you're going to have to be on top of it through some monitoring stuff to make sure everything is ok, ESPECIALLY with turbo (my personal preference).

I agree that there are better platforms in which to spend the amount of $ that it takes to FI a car, than a Maxima, but if you know what its going to do to the car's dynamics, and you weighed the pros and cons, then I dont see a problem with it.

HarrisH, you can get a Z and run low 14s high 13s stock all day... but depending on how you drive, you could do that with your 3.5 swapped Max right now. FI ontop of it? 6psi on a 3.5 swap? heheheh - I think you get what I would do in your shoes.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Maximoneypit

I agree w/ Mdeezy.... Ive faced the same decision but honestly it would kill me not to be able to mod the Z bc I spent all my money buying it and possibly making payments. Thats why Ive decided to keep the max for another year or so till im out of college and hopefully have a good, steady job. Personally, Ive always loved the sleeper appeal which is another reason ive put so much money into a fwd family sedan. IMO its more fun to run high 13's in a modded maxima than in a stock Z bc theyre expected to perform like that - to me theres not as much 'glory if you will' doin that in a Z... but thats just me..
Old 05-16-2007, 11:24 AM

Those are great points. I thought exatly the same way when I had my Max, and here's a conclusion I came to: If you're thinking you wouldn't want to step up to a better car just because you couldn't mod it, you have to ask yourself a few questions:

- How much of your positive feelings about modding is due to how quick your car is now, rather than the intrinsic fun of doing the mods? Would you really still want to mod your car if it were as good as you want stock?

- If you had a better car, are you a good enough driver that you'd be able to max it out and get bored? If you aren't, would improving your skills and getting to know how to drive a new car be enough to keep you occupied?

- How much of your desire not to give up your car is just because of how much time, effort, and money you've put into it?

- Have you lost sight of (or never experienced) the rewarding feeling of finding a car that is naturally what you want and just keeping it that way?

- Would you really care about performance numbers if you had a car that was better in other ways that are important to you?

- When stuff starts breaking because of the combination of your mods and mileage -- which WILL happen eventually -- will you lose heart? What about if and when, between your mods and the increased maintenance, it actually becomes cheaper to own and make payments on a car that does what you want it to do without mods?

If you can sit down and seriously ask yourself those questions and then look back at your car with no doubts whatsoever, then definitely keep it. If you start doubting, stop modding and save up for the next great thing.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Maximoneypit

wow, excellent insight there d00df00d. you really have to keep reminding yourself (or figure out to begin with) what it really is you want out of your car. I started with biiiiig performance plans for mine - running really high boost with a SC setup, maxing out suspension, etc.. but now owning the car for as long as i have Ive asked the question "to what end?" I mean, I live in the capital of NC, the roads are harsh, theres really no place to open it up that often.. I do go to Deals Gap about twice a year which is the only time I fully am able to use the car to its full potential. Ive shifted more towards a appearance mods (as my 4th gen is older and soccer mom beige) ie. 19" SSRs, Stillen Kit, Corbeaus (more for comfort) and some interior things. It still handles amazingly with the SFCs, coilovers, all the stabilizing bars etc.. but im just now tryin to add a little class to it. Ive been modding this car alot over the past few years and almost got sick of doing things to it. I think its very important to enjoy your car for what it is bc theres always something out there that will be better and faster..
Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 AM
2060lbs and falling...

My vote goes without saying. Men with cajones drive FR platforms.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Broaner
My vote goes without saying. Men with cajones drive FR platforms.
Lol Lol Lol I knew you'd say something like that.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:25 AM
3.5 in the works

Well I think we all know wrong wheel drive sucks...

The main reason I'm not moving to RWD sooner and continuing to mod the Max for now is the sleeper/cool factor. It's not because it's FWD, it's because it's a Max. It's so unexpected to see one performing like it does around here, and it's a lot of fun to surprise and often beat cars that think they are way faster than you. I'm the sort of person that doesn't like to follow the crowd, but rather build something different/custom, which is why I like the unconventionality (is that a word? lol) of the Max compared to the standard track fare... F-bodies, Hondas, Mustangs etc

Plus at the end of the day, with some tasteful mods and TLC, for what it is, it's still a nice looking car to me, with a kit/rims and mint leather interior etc, even though it's getting older now.

When I've done what I want to with the Max though the next vehicle I mod/build will be a RWD monster, no question about that.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:39 AM

I would look for a used Z or G35.

Last Saturday, my Dad and I went out and found a 2004 Infiniti G35 with ONLY 18,000 miles on it. We got it for $19,500!!!

IMO, instead of buying new, see if you can find a used one with low miles on it. That way you can have the car you wanted and you can save some $ too.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
unconventionality (is that a word? lol)
Yes it is.

Plus at the end of the day, with some tasteful mods and TLC, for what it is, it's still a nice looking car to me, with a kit/rims and mint leather interior etc, even though it's getting older now.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:39 PM

Well I think we all know wrong wheel drive sucks...

The main reason I'm not moving to RWD sooner and continuing to mod the Max for now is the sleeper/cool factor. It's not because it's FWD, it's because it's a Max. It's so unexpected to see one performing like it does around here, and it's a lot of fun to surprise and often beat cars that think they are way faster than you. I'm the sort of person that doesn't like to follow the crowd, but rather build something different/custom, which is why I like the unconventionality (is that a word? lol) of the Max compared to the standard track fare... F-bodies, Hondas, Mustangs etc

When I've done what I want to with the Max though the next vehicle I mod/build will be a RWD monster, no question about that.
I couldnt have phrased it better myself. the sleeper element is a huge factor I love about the max, in combination with going against the grain. I cant tell you the number of times, people have been surprised by the maximas performance, shock that a carbon fiber hood is on the vehicle, that D2 make coilovers for the car etc.

the sleeper/rare element of the max, plus its features makes it a pleasure to own and mod.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:07 PM

now that I think about I'm shocked when I see a Z that isnt modded. The wow factor is gone cause someone has already done it before you and maybe did it better.

even a TT 350Z is becoming pretty common.

"500rwhp Z... *yawn* yea I boosted it, Greddy TT, build bottom end...etc"
Old 05-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Maximoneypit

^^^ exactly... many guys who have the money to mod a Z go ***** out and do the Greddy TT package/EMS/the whole shabang.. which is sweet and all.... the first time I read it in Modified Mag or SCC.. but now its old hat and just not as impressive anymore. What makes modding the max so fun is that no one does it (comparatively), which to me is an attraction - its unique.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Custom User Title

Stick with the Max... It's not everyday you run into a boosted, VQ35 4th Gen Maxima. That is what I loved about my old car. Only one like it for miles.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

Well im doing my boosted 3.5 swap in about 1.5 weeks and I can definately come up to your crib and give you a ride to see what a boosted 3.5 max feels like. A boosted 3.0 max felt amazing I cant wait for my swap so I can make more power!!!!!! But the feeling of beating expensive cars in a family grocery getter it priceless.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:32 AM

I like the idea of a Z, I had the chance to get to drive an 07. That's a great car, the owner was able to get it to go 13.1@106 with just Nismo exhaust and DRs.....
Old 05-22-2007, 07:10 PM

Go for the Z. Handles better, faster stock, is RWD and gets more looks. You can boost a 4th gen all day long and it might be nice and quick, but at the end of the day you're still driving a 10 year old 4-door sedan!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:01 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Does it absolutely have to be a Z? Or is this a keep the Max or go FR question? Do you want a newer car for reliability and warranty? I think the Z's are absolutely the best bang for the buck car on the market. Problem is that everyone else thinks the same. I think they are overly popular and that turns me off to them,(plus they are fugly IMO). Same is true of the C6 Z06; supercar for pennies comparatively. I guess I'm saying there are a lot cheaper RWD options. For example a later year S14 is only pushing 10 years and they can be had with under 80K miles for $7K. That won't break the bank and will leave tons of dollars for modding if thats your ultimate desire.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:26 AM

You know, the more I think about it, the more I feel that we were wrong to assume the OP wants anything more than for his car to meet some perception of being faster and prettier than others. Given that he already has a 4th gen with a 3.5 and a lot of cosmetic/interior mods, adding FI to that would definitely be the cheapest and quickest route...
Old 05-23-2007, 09:28 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by Broaner
Does it absolutely have to be a Z? Or is this a keep the Max or go FR question? Do you want a newer car for reliability and warranty? I think the Z's are absolutely the best bang for the buck car on the market. Problem is that everyone else thinks the same. I think they are overly popular and that turns me off to them,(plus they are fugly IMO). Same is true of the C6 Z06; supercar for pennies comparatively. I guess I'm saying there are a lot cheaper RWD options. For example a later year S14 is only pushing 10 years and they can be had with under 80K miles for $7K. That won't break the bank and will leave tons of dollars for modding if thats your ultimate desire.
For me any RWD platform is a possibility. But if it's older, the body absolutely has to be in mint condition, and no rust from winter etc. I hate bodywork!! lol.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 AM
2060lbs and falling...

I agree with you 100%. Its worth spending the extra $1k to get a clean Mason-Dixon car.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:55 PM

Since i have owned both i will give you some advice. GET THE Z. Before getting a brand new 2006 Z 6 months ago, I had a 2000 SC'd Max with just about every mod you could do to it power wise without building the motor. After blowing the motor while dynoing i decided to do a 3.5L swap with the supercharger and adding cams and intercooler setup all at once. After months of downtime and frustrations i canceled my plans and just did a basic 3.5 swap and sold the car in order to get the Z. Since then i have never looked back. While my maxima felt faster in a straight line, the Z is just as quick and is 10X more enjoyable to drive. The overall feel of the the Z is far superior to what my fully decked out SC max was.

My 06 with my basic bolt-ons utec, and drag radials will probably lay down quicker times at the 1/4 track than my max would have (even with 11 psi). With the $3,xxx worth of boltons I have done i could be in the 12's with good track conditions. All this while having a pleasant driving car that still has that clean crisp stock feel to it. As you can see i am happy with my choice. Hope this helps in your decision.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by NCSU_MAX
^^^ exactly... many guys who have the money to mod a Z go ***** out and do the Greddy TT package/EMS/the whole shabang.. which is sweet and all.... the first time I read it in Modified Mag or SCC.. but now its old hat and just not as impressive anymore. What makes modding the max so fun is that no one does it (comparatively), which to me is an attraction - its unique.
+1 I do agree with this totally. That is the one thing about the maxima is the self thinking that is involved and the pioneering. But at the end of the day i am not in a point in my life financially where i can afford the hardships that come with doing that kind of stuff.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:39 PM
2060lbs and falling...

There are still ways to be innovative in the automotive world. The best ingenuity comes from those with the smallest budget.