Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Cooling system upgrade on FI guys.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:19 PM

Cooling system upgrade on FI guys.

Well we've talked about alot of things on here, but I havent really seen much talk about upgrading the cooling system when SC or TC our vq's. If there are stickys or thread on it please lead me the way, but i havnt seen any.

Has anyone upgraded their cooling system, is it something that is needed after one reaches certain HP range. I would like to discuss this topics.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:33 PM
absoundlab

I remember seeing someone on here doing some sort of thermostat upgrade but I don't remember the details about it.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:42 PM

Jime was the 1st to do it on here i think, I have it done as well, its just to lower the temperature, but im wondering what other upgrades guys do if they do anything.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Doctor D I presume???

I cut in a 4 inch NACA duct into the hood to reduce the temp, works VERY WELL!!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by doc2278
I cut in a 4 inch NACA duct into the hood to reduce the temp, works VERY WELL!!!!
You actually saw a temperature drop? Actually yesterday I put washers on the hood's bolts to lift it, at idle with a/c on, temps are lower than before. but while moving, temps are the same, I am thinkin maybe while driving there is pressure over the now-lifted hood and actually not letting the engine bay heat escape.

Last edited by streetzlegend; 12-01-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:07 PM

I am thinking about molding a scoop into a c/f hood soon.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:22 AM

The ideal thing is to take air OUT of the engine bay. Air is being forced into the engine via fans/moving airflow. But if that air does not have an easy way out of the engine bay, it just builds up pressure in there, therefore reducing the radiator's efficiency and just heating everything up in general. So the best bet i think is to somehow incorporate something to let the engine bay pressure escape with ease. Hood vents I think would be best best, or like evo's with the reverse scoop thing. but dont think it looks too great on a family sedan.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Griffen Radiator Upgrade.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-02-2007, 05:53 AM
Turbo 3.5

if you want to reduce underhood temps, I have not done anything to my max but for my truck this is what:

2inch cowl hood with air vents that face the winshield (2nd biggest affect)
bigger rad (works great all around)
bigger fans
different antifreeze
lower temp thermastat (this sucks in the winter and does not help much in summer traffic)
coated header (this had the biggest affect)

here's a link about adding functional louves or scoops: http://www.oman4x4.com/hoodvents.htm

Last edited by t6378tp; 12-02-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:50 AM

That griffin looks alot thicker than the stock one, My stock one started to expand due to the extra pressure, so i purchased an all aluminum one from ebay, almost identical to the griffin except its not as thick, i think the griffin is just slightly thicker.

t6378tp, I guess thats the best way of going about it, the louves. I am still thinking about that one because, i dont wanna sacrifice the look of the car and have it looking odd. A buddy of mine, cutout his own louves a row on each side on his 240, and works so great that his windshield fog's up from the heat coming out of the hood lol.

So far i have the ebay aluminum radiator, slightly modified tstat for a lower temp, my temps are about 199-203, while standing still with a/c on, it can get down to 195. while driving on the highway, its usually at 201-203. I assume those temp's are acceptable, that reminds me, i gotta look on the FSM to see whats the normal operating temp supposed to be.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Turbo 3.5

are there any companies that make a 4gen maxima with a slight bluge in it maybe 1inch or with one reverse vents

everytime I do a search for a c/f hood they are either oem or way over the top. I was thinking like you and wanted something alittle different but funcatioal and planned to have it painted to match the car so it does not really stand out

Last edited by t6378tp; 12-02-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
are there any companies that make a 4gen maxima with a slight bluge in it maybe 1inch or with one reverse vents

everytime I do a search for a c/f hood they are either oem or way over the top. I was thinking like you and wanted something alittle different but funcatioal and planned to have it painted to match the car so it does not really stand out
I plan to get the oem one and make my own scoop.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by kzoosho
I plan to get the oem one and make my own scoop.
I am guessing you want a scoop to get air for your intake the problem is he wants to get the hot air out to lower his temps

I do not want a scoop on my car cause it sticks out but a hood with a slight bulge in the center with vents in the rear ,priceless things like that only another maxima owner will notice almost like a mevi
Old 12-02-2007, 02:04 PM

I am guessing you want a scoop to get air for your intake the problem is he wants to get the hot air out to lower his temps

I do not want a scoop on my car cause it sticks out but a hood with a slight bulge in the center with vents in the rear ,priceless things like that only another maxima owner will notice almost like a mevi
You could do a reverse scoupe a louvers maybe?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:12 PM
VQ30 DE T

Is the griffin radiator still available? ( I know it use to cost $400+)
I plan to use a Nismo t-stat & rad cap.
Water wetter,motul temp decreaser
I dont know obout daily driving but this combination will be good for a weekend warrior

Originally Posted by matty
Griffen Radiator Upgrade.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by accordingtou
I dont know obout daily driving but this combination will be good for a weekend warrior
400 + . O damn.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by accordingtou
I think the griffis are still available, however I suggest you look into the one i purchased which is a fraction of the price, i believe 138 Shipped. its on ebay.

Wat mixture do you plan to use? straight up water with water wetter and the temp decreaser? or are u going to have coolant in there as well?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:40 PM
VQ30 DE T

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
I think the griffis are still available, however I suggest you look into the one i purchased which is a fraction of the price, i believe 138 Shipped. its on ebay.

Wat mixture do you plan to use? straight up water with water wetter and the temp decreaser? or are u going to have coolant in there as well?
Yeah I Was very close to clicking "buy it now" a few months back.lol
Hows the fan shroud fitment?

I will try my set up in stages (all with nismo t-stat & stock rad)
1.50/50 (It gets pretty cold here)
2.+water weter or motul
3.+Nismo rad cap
4.Ebay rad or griffin(undecided)
I want to see for myself how much these product's affect engine temps/perf.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:46 PM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

Before the turbo install, I had a ram air set up with a scoop from an 84 300z turbo. After the turbo install the temp never moved, even on days when the temp would get up to 105 degrees. The factory radiator finally let go about 6 months ago after 4 years of being boosted. I recently replaced it with the larger capacity Koyo in the Group Deals forum. Not as pretty as an aluminium radiator, but it works.
Attached Thumbnails Cooling system upgrade on FI guys.-nopi-001.jpg  
Old 12-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by choray911
Before the turbo install, I had a ram air set up with a scoop from an 84 300z turbo. After the turbo install the temp never moved, even on days when the temp would get up to 105 degrees. The factory radiator finally let go about 6 months ago after 4 years of being boosted. I recently replaced it with the larger capacity Koyo in the Group Deals forum. Not as pretty as an aluminium radiator, but it works.
Thats what i was thinking about doing.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Doctor D I presume???

You actually saw a temperature drop? Actually yesterday I put washers on the hood's bolts to lift it, at idle with a/c on, temps are lower than before. but while moving, temps are the same, I am thinkin maybe while driving there is pressure over the now-lifted hood and actually not letting the engine bay heat escape.
Ohh definitely saw a temp drop,.... I ran it hard and the temp was no higher than a normal run to the local grocery store.
Keeps the engine at a stable temperature in the summer. I calculated 4 inch duct would be optimal for cooling.

Last edited by doc2278; 12-02-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:47 PM

Damn that dosnt look bad at all. Im just curious, how is it that engine(coolant) temp can drop if your adding pressure to the engine bay, since that naca duct is meant for intake air into the engine bay rather than venting the high pressure.

Wait, i just noticed you have your filter located in the engine bay! which makes alot of sense of why you see a drop in temperature, probably because although there's still trapped air in there (one that comes thru the grill), ur also inducing colder air lowering the overall temp. btw what temp are you referring too? coolant temp, or intake air temp?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:17 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

hey doc whats up with that website, it makes me curious no more on anything....

i also installed one of thoase naca ducet mine is made of carbon fiber and it rams straight into the intake box...

as for upgraded cooling i put a small after cooler after the turbo for the radiator fluid, like a tranny cooler but looped into the coling system..
Old 12-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Damn that dosnt look bad at all. Im just curious, how is it that engine(coolant) temp can drop if your adding pressure to the engine bay, since that naca duct is meant for intake air into the engine bay rather than venting the high pressure.

Wait, i just noticed you have your filter located in the engine bay! which makes alot of sense of why you see a drop in temperature, probably because although there's still trapped air in there (one that comes thru the grill), ur also inducing colder air lowering the overall temp. btw what temp are you referring too? coolant temp, or intake air temp?

Both, it draws in cooler air as you stated it reduces both. I have to thermometer the coolant, Yet the thermostat keeps the temp at a regulated level. I will say the coolant temp is roughly 180-190. The lower part of the block on the opposing side of the NACA duct is lower than what it was when I didn t have the duct.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
hey doc whats up with that website, it makes me curious no more on anything....

i also installed one of thoase naca ducet mine is made of carbon fiber and it rams straight into the intake box...

as for upgraded cooling i put a small after cooler after the turbo for the radiator fluid, like a tranny cooler but looped into the coling system..
can you clarify what you mean about the website????? Mine is also CF NACA duct.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:59 PM

Yea what site. I am planning on doing the duct also.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Turbo 3.5

can you clarify what you mean about the website????? Mine is also CF NACA duct.
yeah chris the scoop looks great, when gene told me about it I thought it was like this one:

you ever get to the track with your car

Last edited by t6378tp; 12-03-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:06 AM

Any word Doc?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Doctor D I presume???

yeah chris the scoop looks great, when gene told me about it I thought it was like this one:

you ever get to the track with your car
My vb is on its way out, Im waiting for the modified vb to get here. not uncommon with boost. I m going to have to wait for our early spring track day

HOW's THE 5-SPEED TREATIN YOU??
Old 12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Any word Doc?

Im lost kzoosho, any word on what??
Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Turbo 3.5

My vb is on its way out, Im waiting for the modified vb to get here. not uncommon with boost. I m going to have to wait for our early spring track day

HOW's THE 5-SPEED TREATIN YOU??
really your vb is dying, with me it was the tc. the car did not want to engage into gear and was not down shifting correctly

in traffic it sucks but on the highway or road s without alot of lights or stop signs it great. the feels like it has so much more power and hit's so hard in every gear. I can not wait to it the track again

I would suggest buying another tranny and have the shop beef it up with heavy duty clutches, vb and tc while you save up the cash and this way you still have your car while they are working on it or you could get a 5-speed swap for about the same price maybe less

living in jerz a turbo 5-speed would be a blast
Old 12-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Doctor D I presume???

really your vb is dying, with me it was the tc. the car did not want to engage into gear and was not down shifting correctly

in traffic it sucks but on the highway or road s without alot of lights or stop signs it great. the feels like it has so much more power and hit's so hard in every gear. I can not wait to it the track again

I would suggest buying another tranny and have the shop beef it up with heavy duty clutches, vb and tc while you save up the cash and this way you still have your car while they are working on it or you could get a 5-speed swap for about the same price maybe less

living in jerz a turbo 5-speed would be a blast
at 100mph, when I step on the petal, rpm's go up: speedo stays the same.--- slowly up to 110mph.
1 and 2 on the at are fine,.. 2 slams heavy but torque is strong,
shifts aren't as strong in 3 and 4, no real problems engaging into gear. I figure its the valve body by the way it behaves.

if it's the tc, I will buy kevlo911's one... if he still has it

Last edited by doc2278; 12-03-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Doctor D I presume???

http://secure.mckinneycorp.com/AMAZI...2D4410&eq=&Tp=
in case you guys were interested, here is where I ordered the NACA Duct.

www.mckinneycorp.com

i recommend the 2inch one if you're staying N/A
Old 12-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Turbo 3.5

at 100mph, when I step on the petal, rpm's go up: speedo stays the same.--- slowly up to 110mph.
1 and 2 on the at are fine,.. 2 slams heavy but torque is strong,
shifts aren't as strong in 3 and 4, no real problems engaging into gear. I figure its the valve body by the way it behaves.

if it's the tc, I will buy kevlo911's one... if he still has it
I was not saying you were wrong just telling you what my car was doing when the tranny started to crap out

so I guess a 5-speed is not in your plans

what made you pick that location with your vent
Old 12-03-2007, 08:27 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

have you ever been to 2girls1cup.com?

if you havent dont!!!

has nothing to do with naca ducts!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:30 AM
Doctor D I presume???

I was not saying you were wrong just telling you what my car was doing when the tranny started to crap out

so I guess a 5-speed is not in your plans

what made you pick that location with your vent
5-speed is in my plans for either this upcoming summer or fall. I just need a quick fix for now. I know. I am just fustrated with this auto. I know you weren't saying I was wrong. I just think you have more knowledge on these trannies than i do
Old 12-04-2007, 09:29 AM

Im lost kzoosho, any word on what??
U answered it in a post already lol . I was wonderging about the duct.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Kevlo for President

Toyo red
Griffen Rad
Modded lower temp tstat
300zx Rad cap

=
Old 12-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Doctor D I presume???

U answered it in a post already lol . I was wonderging about the duct.
LOL. I personally love the duct method!!! got that BNR-34GTR NUR look to it

chexy IMO

Mckinneycorp takes a little time to deliver, but their product is of HIGH QUALITY!!!

Last edited by doc2278; 12-06-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Doctor D I presume???

The temperature of the coolant drops as well due to the ambient temperature dropping in the engine bay. Hot air that was stagnant before is now moved out due to acceleration, thus cooling the radiator faster as well as the coolant lines and engine components. Making temperature regulation much more stable.

Quick Reply: Cooling system upgrade on FI guys.