Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Boost through Gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Boost through Gears

Setup- RMT- HX35 (T3 turbine and a comp more or less the size of a T60-1 or T66, around there)
- Real Headers (hotshot knock offs), straight pipe, WSP b-pipe (Ypipe, straight pipe and b-pipe all wrapped)
- Perrin Manual Boost Controller
- Turbonetics 35mm WG with 5psi spring
- Greddy Type RS BOV

(thats all that I think would be relevant to this issue)

Situation, Right now I see this..
1st gear- 0psi
2nd gear- 5psi
3rd gear- 6psi
4th gear- 8psi

Obviously the LOADxGEAR has to do with this, but how do other turbo folks experience their difference per gears? I just think that the diff factors of boost bet'n my gears is a bit too much.

Here's the thing, being RMT'd, you want to get as much HOT exh to the turbo as you can, thus the wrapping. Im going to wrap the headers this week sometime and I SHOULD see an improvement.

But once thats done, and if the situation is more or less the same, then what else could be causing this differentiation of boost bet'n gears?

Thank you in advance!

-Eddy
Old 03-10-2008, 05:59 PM

U have to think you arent going to have the same boost as some of us normal boosted folks. Im seeing 15 psi in all gears .
Old 03-10-2008, 06:41 PM

hmmmm, perhaps i should ask of the matter on RMT forums and seeing what sort of #s they're seeing
Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 PM

Yea . Your boost my come on different.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 PM

are you 100% sure you dont have any leaks? (preturbo), after fixing my leaks, boost came in alot ealier, well i explained to u how it was after fixing leak. So the lack of boost in lower gears in ur car might be same reason. Didnt u seafoam?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
are you 100% sure you dont have any leaks? (preturbo), after fixing my leaks, boost came in alot ealier, well i explained to u how it was after fixing leak. So the lack of boost in lower gears in ur car might be same reason. Didnt u seafoam?
yes I did. sat under the car for a good 2 minutes while the lady reved. Checked at the front, middle, back, only thing putting out white smoke was my tailpipe/downpipe, lol. But its weird cus my car SOUNDS like it has an exh leak but I found nothing, so idk. We'll see what happens once I wrap zee headers
Old 03-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have one of the few(me and tilley is the only that I know of) short header to crossover pipe set ups to crossover pipes with a hx35 and a leaky *** waste gate.I am the only turbo maxima that the down pipe dont go under the tranny and goes down by the fire wall with a full 3 inch down pipe. It takes all clearence issue out that way. and make down pipe steight for the first foot too. I get 8psi in 1st and 10.5 in all other gears with a hks 9.7 spring wastegate.
Some thing has to be leaking or your set up.

Last edited by 95turbo gxe; 03-10-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:14 AM

If your exhaust was already wrapped when you seafoamed it may have filtered the smoke so you wouldn't see it come out. I would un-wrap it and seafoam again, or use the soapy water method off of a cold start.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 AM

No I wrapped the b-pipe after testing seafoam (the ypipe and straight pipe have been wrapped since December). Even if I did tho, on the actual flanges I didnt wrap. So if there was a leak (cus all the welds are solid) it would be at the flanges.

But I'll def give the soapy water method a try. Because i swear it SOUNDS like it has an exh leak but I never saw any smoke come out anywhere but the tailpipe/ Downpipe
Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 AM

I bet its your manual boost controller. Going to an electronic one will fix it. But I can be wrong.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
I bet its your manual boost controller. Going to an electronic one will fix it. But I can be wrong.
I've heard of this happening before too but don't quite understansd why it happens.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187

Well my friend had the same issue in his GSR teggy, we swapped to an electronic controller, problem solved.

However, he only saw lower boost in 1st...not none at all :/ ?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:41 PM

No boost happens because with manual boost controller hte wastegate is not fully closed and thus it vents exhaust that should be going to the turbo. However with electronic one it stays closed until your preset setting.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:26 PM

yea thats what iv suggested to fix this problem, that way the WG will be closed untill preset boost is hit. where does it sound like theres a leak?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 AM

yea thats what iv suggested to fix this problem, that way the WG will be closed untill preset boost is hit. where does it sound like theres a leak?
it sort of sounds like there's a leak on the rear header-ypipe flange.

I just got up but before work Im gonna try to get under the car and do the soapy water test on both y-pipe to header flanges, and also the flanges for the straight pipe.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 AM

Maybe your wastegate is open as stated above. WHere is it in relation to the sound you are hearing?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by maxine'sMan
Maybe your wastegate is open as stated above. WHere is it in relation to the sound you are hearing?
wastegate is just before the turbo in the part where the b-pipe goes over the rear beam. Sound (IMO) is coming from the rear of the engine.

But then again, when I got the ypipe made, and started it up and reved a few times, the guy that did the work was surprised that the headers werent leaking (he expected whoever put them on [didnt know it was me] didnt do it right or w/e), but no leaks at all. Just a deep tone that comes from the design of the headers themselves.

I didnt get a change to look for leaks. Blah, see if I do it tomorrow.

Whats the cheapest EBC out there? lol I know the proB w/e from greddy is 3 bills+ for it (eek!!! no way I'll spend that much, lol)
Old 03-12-2008, 07:00 PM

cheapst EBC? lets do the rough math

+165, Sell your vafc
-200, buy an Emanage blue
-60, buy GN solenoid n Map sensor
-85, so basically thats how much it'll cost you, less than 100 bucks to get a better tuning device and boost controller.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:46 PM

cheapst EBC? lets do the rough math

+165, Sell your vafc
-200, buy an Emanage blue
-60, buy GN solenoid n Map sensor
-85, so basically thats how much it'll cost you, less than 100 bucks to get a better tuning device and boost controller.
why should I take your word into concideration? j00 are banned LOL j/k

I've been trying to put off the EB until later, but we'll see what happens after wrapping headers.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 PM

ibwrappingheadermakesyouslower lmao
Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 PM

!

ok! made some progress today!
(sorry for the pic quality, its with my Sidekick's camera)

Found no exh leaks, but.... Found TWO boost leaks!

(cant you tell the gash at the bottom just infront of the clamp? I can stick my finger through it)

and

(you dont see it anymore, but the section where I have the fitting was a 1/2" hole melted on the side of the hardline Im using as the WG's reference from touching against the tranny. So what i did I cut off the hole, replaced it with a union fitting, then the parts of the hard line that get close to the tranny I sleeved it with normal rubber hose to protect it, and I put clamps over the hose, right over where the hardline goes into the fitting- to prevent it blowing out, and hold the protective hose in place)

So after fixing this...

Tried to go on a few tuning runs... I couldnt do much. Kept blowing couplers. Worm gear clamps on the sections of 3" piping are not holding the couplers when the BOV goes off (having no problems at all with using them on the sections of 2" piping). So tomorrow morning Im getting all t-bolt clamps for it.

Impressions from what I got to do before blowing couplers...

Jesus the car moves much nicer. Much more linear, boost is coming in quicker and sooner in the rpm range. Im spooling at ~3100 (keep in mind the turbo is a monster), and it comes in strong and fast, where as before it was coming in at ~3600-3800 (this is in 3rd gear BTW).

ALSO, boost...
1st- 1psi (hey its something!)
2nd- 6psi
3rd- 7psi
4th- 8psi

So its going in the right direction.... but not there yet. Gonna look into getting an EB and do the rig streetz suggested.

And no i didnt even bother wrapping headers today after seeing the holes on the line/ coupler. So that will be done at a later time.

Also...
My Walbro 190 found its limit today. After 5500, it simply cannot feed enough fuel to the engine. AF goes into 12s and I ping like woah. Tired both adding fuel via SAFC, and raising FP from 47psi to 52psi with the same result at that rpm (below that yes everything got richer, but after, same leanness with pinging, so tonight Im ordering Walbro 255).

Werd! Coming along little by little (thanks s0ber for the help today!)