Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Ignitin coils upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Made in Taiwan

Ignitin coils upgrade

alright everyone,

i've made enough test rides with these puppies. now it's time for me to confirm this to all you guys.

There is this Splitfire Ignition Coilpacks made for the Japan's Cefiro's 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 vq engines. The makers of this set of coilpacks had made dyno's on the vq20de and the vq25de's, and respectively, gains are 12hp over 2.0's and 17hp over the 2.5's. No dyno's are made for the 3.0's just yet, and once i get back from the summer internship, i'll go dyno my car to prove gains on a 3.0.

The advertisement for this set of coilpacks are translated below:

nissan engineers designed this vq engine for commercial driving under light operating conditions; resultively, sparks will not be maintained especially after 5000 rpms. tests have shown that running the car consecutively at high rpms will cause the engine to lose about 15-23% of the sparks it had originally intended to have. The splitfire ignition coils are specifically designed to bring this defect to perfection. The splitfire ignition coilpacks have been proven to maintain its ability to provide maximum spark at all times. For enthusiasts upgrading air and fuel combinations, this splitfire ignition would be a crucial upgrade not to be excluded.

With this said, I have also took a look at the dyno's out of the vq20de's. The new power curve looks very impressive: the low and mid range curvature stays very close to the stock curves, then at around 5200, it starts to slope up a bit higher than stock, and gradually, it slopes further and further till it gets a 12 hp gain over at the red line. to me, this looks like a mevi vs stock dyno except that it didn't lose power in the low and mid ends, nor did it have that little down-dip when the mevi kicks in at 5000 rpms. I am pretty impressed with what the dyno looked like.

so i ask a friend of mine to buy a set of these in taiwan, got it shipped over to america. received it 2 weeks ago. the whole sha-bang cost me 650 US bucks. yeah, it ain't no joke. i got it air shipped. right when i got the packs, i installedi it (installation was a breeze, stock fit, but a little tighter) and went to the track with it. did'nt prove any gains in track time; and it felt like something was wrong with the car. the next day i drove the car to houston for an internship pre-entry class. during the way, i found out my knock sensor and tps are both f-ing up. i don't know what to blame, but those 2 codes have been showing up in my cel even before the coilpacks. so i want to assume that my new coils didn't cause all that.

then i replaced the tps, the knock sensor cel didn't come on anymore. lately (about almost 2 weeks after the ignitin coils installation), the car drives real good. it almost feels like the car is "learning" this new set of the coilpacks. i start notice a slightly stronger "pick up" after mevi kicks in.

when the mevi kicks in at 5000, it starts to gradually "pull" harder to my jwt ecu redline at 7200rpms. overall, i notice a very significant "pull" after mevi kicks in. before the ignition coilpacks, i can tell the the "pull" is """"relatively"""" weaker.

so my conclusion is that this new gadget does give gains at top ends. besides, however, before we jump into further conclusions, i should warn everyone to wait for my dyno at the end of august. i just want to bring this up early because i see the potential of this new upgrade for my car. and i noticed a lot of turbo guys have trouble playing with fire boosting over 14 psi's. this may be the ultimate solution to go even further.

please don't storm me if you are having hateful negative comments. I am publishing this only to help out everyone who is interested. I can save this to myself and dodge out everyone's eager to upgrade their cars.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Kevlo for President

That is a alot of $ for some ignition coils. Maybe we can find a cheap solution. I like the sound of this though. Good find
Old 06-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

where can we purchase these puppies and do the work on all 4th gens?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:55 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

very good find. why was this moved to the FI forum?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:09 PM
SLOW

Why are you waiting til the end of august to dyno. Assuming the install just like a normal coilpack it would be a very easy dyno comparison.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Why are you waiting til the end of august to dyno. Assuming the install just like a normal coilpack it would be a very easy dyno comparison.

Peter is in Lafayette(boonies) for a internship this summer. I think he has to work everyday and there deff isn't a dyno out there

Pete, did you ever find out if they make a set for the A33?
Old 06-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Made in Taiwan

thanks for clearing that up for me chris. yeah, i cannot dyno right now. Baker Hughes is making me work like a horse over here in Lafayette. I searched after work everyday and cannot find a shop that does dyno's.

when my internship is over with in mid august, i'll do the dyno's. i was going to wait till i get the dyno's then post this thread on the org, but since i can already feel the "gain" after the installation, i am very assertive to say that this set of coils does have legit gains. So i decided to swing this at you guys. However, we should still wait till the dyno results because a picture is worth more than a thousand words.

Chris, i did quote them about the a33's. here is the catch, for the same vq30de engine, they do make these coilpacks, too. however, there is a slight difference between the a32 and a33 coils. initially, i had thought that they are the same sh-it. but when my friend made the order in taiwan, they specifically asked her which of models she want. i have the a32's only. when dyno-proven with gains, i'll start getting the a33's over here for you.

also, 650 US dollars includes a photon energy fuel splitter (sorry to correct that fact because i just copied the amount down from the receipt and forgot to deduct the extra stuff). the actual cost including air shipping this set over to america would be around 550+. I know it cost a lot, but this could be a revolutionizing upgrade for FI'd guys; although KB boost a spark could have been the ultimate solution already. This set of coilpacks will last longer at higher sparks without losing their structural integrity. I am also thinking, what if we can use this set of the "stronger" coilpacks and run KB boost a spark on them? Don't you guyes think this is even better?

Anyways, I'm not FI'd, and I don't plan to be. But I do want to go all the way with "all" NA mods to bring the car into the 13's on the qm track.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:52 AM

I am able to take order for these.

A32 VQ30DE's $475 shipped within 48 states of USA.
A33 VQ30DE-K $495 shipped within 48 states of USA.

Sorry.. no application for VQ35's
Lead time 2+ weeks.
Availability: NOW

Email me for more information if you are interested.

SY
sycefiro@yahoo.com
Old 07-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Blu
the tits

Im will follow this come August and let the dynos sell me on this. Thanks a lot for sharing this info, until now I didn't know anything like this was available.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm needing a caw

How were your old coilpacks? I wonder if those 4-gen guys with the OBDII data loggers have noticed erratic ign curves in the high rpm range? Seems like the only way to really tell if the stock ign sysytem is having problems.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Made in Taiwan

with all the stuff i have on my car already, i can really "sense" some gains with these coil packs, however, i strongly suggest everyone to wait till i get a dyno in mid august before buying. i plan to dyno these coilpacks on my car and a stock 97 auto maxima. that way we can see what gains we can get out of a stock maxima and a moderately modded maxima. i also have ran these coilpacks on my 97 auto stock max, nothing was "felt" with these coil packs. so i am still very skeptical about the gains out of these puppies.

i thought sycefiro has ran some dyno's with these packs before, but he never showed his results to anyone. instead of coming straight to sell these packs off, i strongly advise sycefiro to show dyno's before running a sale. that way none of the orgers would have paid 500 bucks for possibly little gains, if any.

as for me, i have these packs on my car running, and they run great with my setup, however, i'm doing a summer internship with baker hughes inteq right now, i do not get a chance to dyno with them, yet. but hopefully, if everything runs smooth, i'll have them dynoed at the mid august.

so you guys can buy them packs blindly, or wait till something was proven. as far as the packs, they looked the same to me, stock or splitfire. however, splitfire coilpacks brain unit where the plugs fit is slightly bigger, and they fit snugly tighter to the sparkplug chamber than stock. one more thing, these coilpacks' brain units are blue compared to the black of the stock packs.

anymore questions?
cyu1@lsu.edu
Old 07-06-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm needing a caw

I wonder what the secondary voltage is on these and the saturation rates are vs stock.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Made in Taiwan

on the advertisement they (Splitfire JP) provide, it is supposedly going to provide stronger spark after 5000 rpms. sounds to me like MEVI, but the dyno sure does look like what MEVI does, except no low+mid range power loss. I have them on my car, I'm not sure how to find out, but if you live close and like to really take a look, I wouldn't mind setting up a meet day to find out.

But so far, I am very skeptical on its gains on stock cars. so better wait till some dyno papers come out.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by cyu1
so you guys can buy them packs blindly, or wait till something was proven.

Originally Posted by cyu1
on the advertisement they (Splitfire JP) provide, it is supposedly going to provide stronger spark after 5000 rpms. sounds to me like MEVI, but the dyno sure does look like what MEVI does, except no low+mid range power loss. I have them on my car, I'm not sure how to find out, but if you live close and like to really take a look, I wouldn't mind setting up a meet day to find out.

But so far, I am very skeptical on its gains on stock cars. so better wait till some dyno papers come out.
From what I've read, the OEM coilpacks cannot come up to full charge when you're hitting the higher RPMs - ie 5000.

What these are supposed to do, is to maintain full charge (meaning full spark power) at these higher RPM ranges. Don't remember how they do it though... probably some type of built in capacitor...
Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm needing a caw

Supposely, one of the purposes of individual coil on plug technology is only having to ramp up the primary voltage once per engine revolution. So I don't quite see the reasoning behind the oem coils having a problem.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:29 AM

Would this be the same type of upgrade as the HKS DLI Unit?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I agree Jeff.

The fact that John@J&S states the OEM coils are fine in wasted spark configuration, which fires the coils even more often(once every revolution?), yet still has time to "recharge" makes me believe that.

Also, the ability of stock coils to still fire up to 14-16psi of boost, large shots of N20, boost+water injection, super rich AFRs, etc. at higher RPMs without issues tells me NA guys aren't going to need these.

These definitely could be a clean P-N-P alternative to the Kenne Bell BAS though.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Supposely, one of the purposes of individual coil on plug technology is only having to ramp up the primary voltage once per engine revolution. So I don't quite see the reasoning behind the oem coils having a problem.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I agree Jeff.

The fact that John@J&S states the OEM coils are fine in wasted spark configuration, which fires the coils even more often(once every revolution?), yet still has time to "recharge" makes me believe that.

Also, the ability of stock coils to still fire up to 14-16psi of boost, large shots of N20, boost+water injection, super rich AFRs, etc. at higher RPMs without issues tells me NA guys aren't going to need these.

These definitely could be a clean P-N-P alternative to the Kenne Bell BAS though.
Maybe I read this from the Splitfire site itself... Hmmm... Could it be - propaganda!?! I think I'll pick up a set of splitfire plugs next time I'm there...
Old 07-07-2005, 06:28 AM
Made in Taiwan

splitfire coilpacks use stronger transister materials to reinforce their sparks for higher theoretical voltage yields. also, the transisters' silicone composites are slightly enhanced to withstand higher operating temporatures. maybe that's why they can sustain good sparks after 5000 rpms. that's why on their "advertisement propaganda" they keep stressing out that most cars run a 0-100 km/hr dash, they will reach 100km/hr sequentially slower after each time when the temperature rises substantially.

as nice as it sounds, i still don't believe it's capabilities to enhance performance on a N/A car. Next month, I'm getting Cattman's both headers and catback. After that, I consider to have modded all "air and ignition" mods for my car. I'm still considering JWT cams, but the cost is too great!!! so I'm not sure about that. Then I'll hopefully have enough money for a dyno to prove the difference between the stock and splitfire coilpacks. I'll also slap them on my stock 97 auto maxima to see if it does anything on completely stock cars.

at this point, i still strongly suggest that we wait till some numbers show up, i may or may not have wasted my money on this, but one test dog to gamble and lose is better than sevaral test dogs to gamble and lose. I'm out...
Old 07-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Made in Taiwan

a little update on my promised dyno:

I'm arranging to ship this coils to stephen max in austin for him to do the dyno with these coils. he is most knoledgeable and can go much further than i can on getting the real potentials out of these coils. it will be in september when i send them in.

sorry i cannot do it myself as budgeting crisis has come to a very depressed state. i'm buying too much mods at once and am broke after all. sorry guys...
Old 07-17-2005, 12:06 PM
SLOW

Sweet that will be a great source of info. Stephen Max > all
Old 07-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

He would be one of the best people to do it since he has a car that could definately benefit and he has alot of previous dyno info from the same dyno which makes things consistant.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Made in Taiwan

yeah, that's what i was thinking, i didn't run any dyno's before, so it's better for stevie to do this. besides, with what he knows, he can really tell how legit these coilpacks are. his conclusions will make a good sound for all of us.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:20 PM

Cool...nice since he can data log to show if it misfires.

He'll have to remove his BAS though.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Cool...nice since he can data log to show if it misfires.

He'll have to remove his BAS though.
It's boost activated, so all I have to do is disconnect the vacuum line from it.

I figure I'll do a baseline run without BAS, a run with BAS, then swap in the Splitfire coils for a final run after the engine has cooled off.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:10 AM

Sounds awesome...thanks for helping out.

You might try a 4th trial with the Splitfires and the BAS.

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
It's boost activated, so all I have to do is disconnect the vacuum line from it.

I figure I'll do a baseline run without BAS, a run with BAS, then swap in the Splitfire coils for a final run after the engine has cooled off.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:40 AM
SomePsychoGuy

I wouldn't go too overboard with the BAS and Splitfires. I wouldn't want to try to do warranty work for something that is not technically even supposed to be here in the USA. I don't know that it would hurt them but I would be careful with such an investment.

Hardwiring the coils with thicker gauge wires wouldn't be a bad idea though no matter what your ignition setup is.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:45 AM

Well if the Splitfires' are what they say they are, ie just stronger more heat resilant coils, then the BAS won't hurt them anymore then OEM coils.

I'd just like to see if maybe the Splitfires make the BAS level lower.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Made in Taiwan

yeah, spig, it's ok. let steve tinker with it. even with BAS, I don't really really have a problem. i bought these coils with the intention to tweak them up anyways. eventhough i have withdrawn all warranteed services when i vouched to do anything to get these packs shipped to the US, I am willing to gamble with it. Let steve KB BAS the heck out of it. I'm pretty sure according to Splitfire's promising advertisements that these coilpacks will hold out pretty good. if it gets screwed under testing, that proves the unworthy and unreliability of these said to be performance coilpacks, right? besides, i trust steve with what he's doing.

we'll do it.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:48 PM

this is interesting.. did the dyno bring back anything conclusive?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by jordandalley
this is interesting.. did the dyno bring back anything conclusive?
thread is 2yrs old i hope you realized that..
Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

I remember reading this years ago but forgot all about it. Good stuff.

I'd like to know what the findings were too. I've read in a couple of magazines now that upgraded coils have dyno'd an additional 10 HP. Hearing the results from Stephen and Godfather would be cool.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Licensed to Spell

Wow, I don't even remember subscribing to this thread. And when I saw the subscription e-mail come in, I couldn't remember for the life of me what "Ignition coils upgrade" was about. ?

Yeah, the cliffhanger story ended abruptly in mid/late '05? What's the end of the story?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Peter (Godfather) never sent me the coils, so the test never happened.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Licensed to Spell

Peter (Godfather) never sent me the coils, so the test never happened.
Sorry to be off topic Stephen, but, "while I have you here", can I get added to the 300 HP club.......... pretty please?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=555490

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...16&postcount=1
Old 03-07-2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Sorry to be off topic Stephen, but, "while I have you here", can I get added to the 300 HP club.......... pretty please?
Done!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Licensed to Spell

Done!
Rad. Thanks S.M.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:22 AM

I'l be right behind you ptatohed

Right after my kit stops shredding belts, I get my VB mod installed and my headers+exhaust