Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

V1 SC questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM

V1 SC questions

I need to replace my accessory belt so what better way to replace it than with this:

First of all my '99 maxima is an auto so I'm concerned with how much boost I can run. The sc has a 2.87" pulley on it. I've got a trans pan seal and screen plus 5qts of amsoil atf. I plan on buying a b&m plate cooler 70255 as well. Can someone shed some light on the powersteering cooler. Can I relocate the aluminum tubes that run down the frame to the front of the car and use that as the cooler? The pancake filter is shot. It looks like it was stuck into a mudhole. I washed it out a few times and it's still filthy so I need to replace it with something. From what I've read it's not a good filter and I should buy something else. I want to keep my washer fluid so I don't know what to do. As far as all the parts go I have looked at the stillen v1 list and I don't have a cps retainer but I read here I don't need one. Also missing the coolant bracket and fuse box bracket. I will try to fab something up for those. From what I can tell the parts, to get this running, that I'm missing include coolant bottle relocation hose (6' 5/16" Fuel line?), 12' 3/8" High Pressure Power Steering hose, (6 foot 1/4" fuel hose, 6 foot 1/4" fuel hose, 6 foot 3/16" fuel hose). Is that right? I got that from the "help me identify what im missing in my v2" thread, and MAF adapter. I was looking at walbro 255 pumps on ebay, does it matter which one I get? With the 255 will I need to get a fuel regulator or is stock fine? I just bought colder plugs, 5ft of silicone 3/16" vac hose, 3 T fittings, pureone filter, M1 5w30 synthetic to help the sc; previously I was using conventional castrol 5w30.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 PM

I didn't end up having to move the fuse box or the windshield washer nozzle. I just unbolted the fuse box so it could move back towards the firewall a little bit and then once the s/c'r was in place with the filter on I just forced in the washer nozzle neck. It was a snug fit but you don't really have to worry about those small things.

Also, I didn't need any extra hose to get the radiator overflow bottle to the other side of the car. I simply unbolted it and snaked the hose to the other side of the engine bay. I'm sure you want everything to be just like the Stillen kit intended, but most of these things are far from essential.

You want to get the correct Walbro pump. Do some research but off the top of my head I think the part number's like gss342 or something close to that. As for the afpr, just put in the one I sold you after you rebuild it. Make sure you get a liquid filled gauge too (which you shouldn't have trouble finding...most are I believe).

And I wasn't running power steering so I just ripped all that crap out but was able to push the thick a/c hose on the top of the motor out of the way and it worked no problem.

EDIT: Make sure you get a METAL maf adapter too. Don't even waste your money on a plastic one.

Last edited by dfownz; 08-06-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Good to know I don't need a coolant hose. The coolant res. and the fuse box will just be pushed out of the way and I will make brackets for them later. Same with the cps retainer, I found out from a thread I can go without it. I want my ps so what do I need to do about that? Do I just buy extra line and run it to the front of the car? I can't switch to the 3.33" pulley cuz it's so hacked up but I will leave the 2.87" on there. Will my stock injectors work fine with that pulley? Can you shortcut me to what I need to do on the fpr? What size lines, how long, how many, etc. I'll get the aluminium fittings, gauge and hoses locally. I'll let you know about the fittings. Did you use that filter? It's really dirty, and from the thread I read on here it's supposed to be way to small for that boost.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:14 PM

Im the original owner of that kit. i had none of those items on my 99 Auto. I did relocate the coolant reservoir but that was it. I didnt have to move my power steering line as well. Also please look into the drop resistor mod to save your tranny. Here is a pic of that kit installed.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:30 PM

So I don't need to worry about the ps stuff? Anything else I should know? I bought 5ft of silicone 3/16" vac hose and 3 T - fittings. That's enough right? So now I just need to figure out the fuel hose, aeromotive fpr fittings, gauge. etc. I don't have a safc either. Can I run the car safely under a certain rpm till I get a safc? I'm looking for the HP walbro 255. I just started reading about the drop resistor. All I have learned so far is that there are many different resistors used and I can wire it up to a switch which I was thinking of doing.

kzoosho In that vid it looks like the air filter is not on?

Last edited by Quickywd01; 08-06-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
So I don't need to worry about the ps stuff? Anything else I should know? I bought 5ft of silicone 3/16" vac hose and 3 T - fittings. That's enough right? So now I just need to figure out the fuel hose, aeromotive fpr fittings, gauge. etc. I don't have a safc either. Can I run the car safely under a certain rpm till I get a safc? I'm looking for the HP walbro 255. I just started reading about the drop resistor. All I have learned so far is that there are many different resistors used and I can wire it up to a switch which I was thinking of doing.
I wired mine to a switch and turn it on anytime i plan to go WOT. As far as tuning, do you have a fmu? if you do make sure you put it in and you will be somewhat ok as long as you dont have a ton of boost. With that 2.87 i was seeing a little over 12psi at redline so you deff dont want to get on it with the stockers and nothing to add fuel.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 PM

I am getting the walbro 255 hp, I have the vortech FMU and I have a aeromotive fpr which needs a rebuild, fittings, gauge, and hoses. Will that be enough?
Just want to make sure this pump will work: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...Q5fAccessories

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the aeromotive 13301 fpr but I think this is the rebuild kit: http://www.race-mart.com/items/produ...009-detail.htm

I'm going to hold off on buying those two till I'm sure they will work so let me know. Thanks.

I'll also get the FPR going. Should I get angled AN fittings or straight? And I need 3 of them, inlet, outlet, return, correct? Plus a psi gauge. Will I need an adjustable FMU or will the blue vortech one be fine? I'll be searching for this info in the meantime. Just trying to get everything sorted out so I can get this on asap.

Last edited by Quickywd01; 08-06-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 PM

You'll be fine with the rebuild kit and the vortech fmu.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 PM

Is there a better air filter than the pancake which will fit with the washer fluid neck?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:52 PM

Measure how much room you have and then go crazy online. I'd suggest a K&N or a stainless steel filter. Just measure the space between the fuse box and the neck and you shouldn't have to worry about width.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM

I'll measure the space after the sc is on and I'll see what can fit. The old filter should work for a few days.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Yeah it works fine just pop it in place. Just make sure you don't have any bolts/tools hiding.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:00 PM

My walbro 255 HP came in.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 PM

My walbro 255 HP came in.

nice. Did you look into the drop resistor mod? That should be number one on your list.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:44 PM

Thanks for reminding me. I'll start reading about it right now!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:05 PM

If you have any trouble getting the walbro in you may have to modify the stock basket a little. Remember to REUSE your stock pickup filter too. My old s/c install thread is a good reference for the pump install as someone was very helpful!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 AM

On a 4th gen it should fit. I'll reuse my strainer. Does it matter what gauge I get for my aeromotive 13301 fpr? Any tips on drilling out the stock fpr to use it as a fitting.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...9/?image=large
or
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AE...3/?image=large
Old 08-11-2009, 06:51 AM

I don't see a problem with either of those and it really doesn't matter what brand it is.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:52 PM

Just realized it's 1/8" NPT. Off to look for a 3/8" NPT gauge.

EDIT: They seem to all be 1/8", what fitting size is yours? Guess I'll need an adapter?

Last edited by Quickywd01; 08-11-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Ha...yeah I used quite a bit of adapters to get mine to work. I bet you can find ONE that adapts to it at your local shop (lawl autozone ftl).
Old 08-12-2009, 07:41 PM

Just want to make sure that the 255 will work. I have just the pump. It didn't come with a harness or anything. Will the stock 4th gen connector clip right onto it?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM

Just want to make sure that the 255 will work. I have just the pump. It didn't come with a harness or anything. Will the stock 4th gen connector clip right onto it?
It should. When i did mine i used the stock wiring that was there. My new fuel system doesnt just plug in tho
Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM

The bolt holes on this thing look big, will this fitting work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...Q5fAccessories

FPR is looking pretty; just waiting on the gauge.

I've got an extra aluminum 3/8" NPT to 5/16" nipple fitting if anyone is interested; they only came in packs of two.

Last edited by Quickywd01; 08-15-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Pics for clicks
Old 08-23-2009, 09:07 AM

So this is what $3G's looks like.

And I still need more stuff.

Am I missing any bolts for the sc plate?

One skinny long one is on the plate.

Last edited by Quickywd01; 08-23-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:07 AM

You're missing one skinny long because the other one that's "captive" to the plate hits the pulley and was starting to mess it up.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:09 AM

Oh and for the rail off fitting it looks like its just drilled to fit all those cars. Just use a washer on the bolts and you're good to go.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Thanks. Any recommendations on fuel injectors?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:26 AM

Well I was going to go with 440's and a bigger maf housing. Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most 4th gen s/c are running 370's and have a z32 maf and have no problems.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:46 AM

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If puting in 370cc injectors will work with this 13psi. I want a 00VI and there are many different setups for that so I don't know what to do. I think the Z32 maf is a good idea.

Last edited by Quickywd01; 08-23-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 AM

Hey guys I'm looking to get a s/cr n I don't rlly Kno alot about it as for uprgrades and such. For axample the v1's and v2's. I know that the t trim is better than the s trim =) lol but as for other upgrades as upgrading some parts to steel and such. Like what would be a fully uprgraded kit and what would consist of a basic s/c. Someone help me out. I've tried searching the forumns but only found how tos and complex questions so I'm looking to be able to be in those complex questions about s/cers =). If no help then could an administrator turn this into a new thread plz =)
Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Stickies...?

No that would be too easy.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM

I'll help you out but if you have any further questions either PM me or make your own new thread. I'm not going to go into too much detail. For a basic setup you need a supercharger, oil feed line and modified drain back plate, modified coolant thermostat housing, FMU, boost pipes with maf adapter, silicone, bov, air filter and all this stuff is for low boost. If you want to run regular boost I would get a fuel pump and other stuff that helps out. The most possible basic setup will cost you about $2k depending on where you buy it and how complete it is. In my setup my sc has a 2.87" pulley which puts out a nice amount of boost so I additionally have a walbro 255HP, aeromotive FPR, NGk one step colder spark plugs, and a bunch of other little things. To help the car breath better I also bought a warpspeed y-pipe and cat-back exhaust which all has 2.5" piping. I have it on and the car runs better already. To help the auto trans I have a external cooler bypassing the stock cooler with almost 7qts of amsoil atf because I removed the pan and cleaned it out. I was going to drain all of the fluid, which you should do if yours is auto, but didn't want to wait. I also switched to mobil 1 synthetic engine oil to help cool the blower which I also want to get a oil cooler for. It all depends on how you want to do it. You could just get a really basic sc setup and run low boost but I would recommend going for a normal amount of boost and get the correct parts to make it run safe. Now click on the search button on the top of the page and type in stuff like supercharger and read. Almost all questions can be answered by searching and reading. Searching and reading allows you to become involved in the stuff and know what is going on, what does what, what you need, etc. If you have plenty of money then there is nothing wrong with paying someone to do everything and all you do is drive and enjoy. For example, that fuel pressure regulator that I have cost me about $200. You gotta pay to play. You gotta have either everything listed and planned out to see prices or have a lot of money. That's why it's better to read and learn everything before getting stuff so that you don't get too screwed. I started this thread to log all my work of supercharging my car. As you can see I had questions on here and no one answered them (besides dfownz and kzoosho since they had this kit before, thanks guys!) because people on here are sick and tired of people asking questions that have been asked and answered many times. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just letting you know why people say "search". If you have any questions pm me and I will be glad to answer any and all questions.

Originally Posted by 2FrSh4U
Hey guys I'm looking to get a s/cr n I don't rlly Kno alot about it as for uprgrades and such. For axample the v1's and v2's. I know that the t trim is better than the s trim =) lol but as for other upgrades as upgrading some parts to steel and such. Like what would be a fully uprgraded kit and what would consist of a basic s/c. Someone help me out. I've tried searching the forumns but only found how tos and complex questions so I'm looking to be able to be in those complex questions about s/cers =). If no help then could an administrator turn this into a new thread plz =)
Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 PM

Is there a better air filter than the pancake which will fit with the washer fluid neck?
I have a custom 3in CAI (w/ filter) for sale. PM me if interested.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by tsaulz
I have a custom 3in CAI (w/ filter) for sale. PM me if interested.
I also have an 00VI kit with an A32 LIM (which will work with the Z32 side-feed injectors).
Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Will do, feel free to let me know about any other goodies you have that I could use.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 PM

Will do, feel free to let me know about any other goodies you have that I could use.
I'm on AIM now.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:59 PM

I put you on my aim list so when I see you on aim or on here I'll contact you. I was going to skip the VI but since you have it that is awesome. You might just have everything I need for this 2.87" pulley. 370cc injectors, z32 maf, and a VI. Then I'll just need to source a piggy back. Still trying to decide whether to get a safc2 or neo since the neo has finer adjustment points but if I use the VI I would probably have to use the vafc2. Why were you saying I wouldn't need the fmu if I run the 370cc injectors?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:52 PM

Diggin' up info. Seems like I will need the fmu.

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
~12.5:1 AFR

Test and tune it on a dyno with a wide band O2 sensor to be sure you have it right.

My advice to you is an 8:1 FMU disc, it will be rich but you can lean it out with the AFC. This is the safest approach.
From http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ml#post1047246

Originally Posted by matty
Youll need to bump fuel pressure with an FMU. I was running the same setup, minus the SAFC2, and I was leaning out under any type of boost pressure. Im not too familiar with the safc2 but i dont think you can do much for adding fuel with it. I know guys with 555's and your setup and use the SAFC to take fuel away via the airflow. Again Im not to familiar.

-matt
From http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...ml#post4489824

Last edited by Quickywd01; 12-04-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 PM

Just wanted to update the thread. I'd say I have almost everything. I've since gotten a vafc2 and a complete '00VI kit, yay larger injectors. Also picked up a metal maf adapter and aem dry filter. It's all going in when it gets warm out. My auto trans is almost toast so I will be looking for a lsd auto. I was considering 5spd lsd swap but it would cost way more than just replacing stock with a lsd auto. Plus DD & traffic. Let me know if you can hook me up, I live in north NJ. Which made me think, do I really need the 2.87" pulley maybe it would be better if i got a larger pulley. Any opinions? What's a good V1 pulley size for a DD auto.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:51 AM

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7986/555555550.jpg
Oil line T-fitting was bent so I'm waiting to go buy one during the week.

Last edited by Quickywd01; 05-01-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: V1 SC questions