Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Blower installed, looking for advice on related stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 AM

Blower installed, looking for advice on related stuff

Old thread here;

http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...e-ps-pump.html

I could not fit the C2 in the space where the PS pump was, so I moved the alternator there and put the C2 where the alternator was. Fits nice, all of the brackets are made, just some minor adjustments need to be made for hose routing.

Now that the blower is in, I need to start figuring out what I am doing to make the engine run with boost.

This is a VQ35 engine running with the 96 Maxima ECU (I changed out all of the sensors, and have the timing chain/cover from a VQ30 on there). I also have a Kenetix 350Z intake I am going to use (sits lower than the Maxima intake)

I have seen on this forum that I probably need to go with larger injectors. Any opinions on that?

Much of the last week has been spent trying to figure out what to do with the inter cooler and selecting a blow off / bypass valve.

Because the MAF is on the intake side of the blower, I'd guess it is not a good idea to go with a blow off valve to the atmosphere... Or, is it OK to put the MAF on the "pressure" side??

If not, I'd like to find a single Bypass Valve that will open under manifold vacuum AND over boost. I am starting to think such a thing does not exist.

As for the inter cooler, I have space considerations, and am trying to balance air flow versus surface area of the cooler.. Lots of variables in this, and not enough data.

Also looking for opinions on Methanol/water injection, as well as maybe a CO2 system to cool the intake.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 AM

Putting the MAF on the pressurized side is fine, though you'll want to also have a BOV that vents to atmosphere during idle as well (Blitz, for example).
Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 AM

pretty sure alot of people run 440's for injectors.. run a search on that...

and this is in the delorian right?,.. pics pics pics
Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by NousDefions
Putting the MAF on the pressurized side is fine, though you'll want to also have a BOV that vents to atmosphere during idle as well (Blitz, for example).
Just want to double check this...

I have read of people having good results blowing through the MAF, but is that plastic housing able to handle it? (I cut the flange off mine, and just use hose and hose clamps on it).

Also, the C2 inlet is the same size (3 inches), but the outlet is a bit smaller so I would have to step the pipe size up to 3 inches.

Does the orientation of the MAF matter? Can I mount it vertical?

I will check out the Blitz web site for what you are talking about, but I still think I like the bypass better. I am not looking to have that noise all the time while I am cruising.

Do you know of a bypass that will vent on over boost and when boost it not needed (when the intake is under vacuum)?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by MarcL
Just want to double check this...

I have read of people having good results blowing through the MAF, but is that plastic housing able to handle it? (I cut the flange off mine, and just use hose and hose clamps on it).

Also, the C2 inlet is the same size (3 inches), but the outlet is a bit smaller so I would have to step the pipe size up to 3 inches.

Does the orientation of the MAF matter? Can I mount it vertical?

I will check out the Blitz web site for what you are talking about, but I still think I like the bypass better. I am not looking to have that noise all the time while I am cruising.

Do you know of a bypass that will vent on over boost and when boost it not needed (when the intake is under vacuum)?
There are larger MAF housings available (some in aluminum), but the housing handles quite a bit of boost just fine. Unless you are going to a level that would be dangerous for the head gaskets, you'll be fine.

The orientation of the MAF is very important. It needs to be horizontal, and facing upwards. People have had all sorts of idle and WOT issues otherwise.

BOV's aren't that loud (at least mine isn't), and I'm not all that familiar with the bypass valves that are on the market. I know the Stillen S/C kit included a Bosch bypass.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 AM

BOV's aren't that loud (at least mine isn't), and I'm not all that familiar with the bypass valves that are on the market. I know the Stillen S/C kit included a Bosch bypass.
Thanks for that information..

The Bosch bypass, will that also do overboost protection? Or maybe I should just go with 2 valves?

Also, while searching around for MAF information, I see a number of posts (on this site too) about changing out injector sizes as it relates to which MAF is being used. Lots of acronyms and other stuff I simply don't understand (sorry!). Is there a guideline somewhere that can help me select the right setup? I'd like to keep the stock 96 ECU to keep the cost down (after market ECU's are expensive), but see no evidence that I can "tune" the stock ECU, so taking it to a dyno shop would not be any benefit... right?

I guess there is no simple answer of what injectors to use.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:54 PM
KH3 by popular demand

You need some other type of engine management unless you are just using an fmu. Safc, emanage, etc. These can help you use bigger than stock injectors and allow the vehicle to idle right without flooding out, etc.

http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...it-turbos.html
Thanks for that information..

The Bosch bypass, will that also do overboost protection? Or maybe I should just go with 2 valves?

Also, while searching around for MAF information, I see a number of posts (on this site too) about changing out injector sizes as it relates to which MAF is being used. Lots of acronyms and other stuff I simply don't understand (sorry!). Is there a guideline somewhere that can help me select the right setup? I'd like to keep the stock 96 ECU to keep the cost down (after market ECU's are expensive), but see no evidence that I can "tune" the stock ECU, so taking it to a dyno shop would not be any benefit... right?

I guess there is no simple answer of what injectors to use.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
You need some other type of engine management unless you are just using an fmu. Safc, emanage, etc. These can help you use bigger than stock injectors and allow the vehicle to idle right without flooding out, etc.

http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...it-turbos.html
Yea, um... No idea what a fmu, safc, or emanage is.. I am guessing they are various engine management options?

What if I don't change the injectors? Will if for sure run lean under boost??

Will check out that link a little later.. On my way out to dinner now.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yea, um... No idea what a fmu, safc, or emanage is.. I am guessing they are various engine management options?

What if I don't change the injectors? Will if for sure run lean under boost??

Will check out that link a little later.. On my way out to dinner now.
FMU, SAFC, and Emanage are different engine management options. If you do not change injectors you will need at least FMU to add extra fuel. An FMU uses a disc that is set to a predetermined ratio to raise fuel pressure per pound of boost. So a 4:1 ratio FMU will raise your fuel pressure 4psi for every 1psi of boost it sees. This is a rough way of tuning, but you can get away with it as long as you are not looking to make a lot of power.
You should look into that link as it will provide you with a lot more information that I cannot.
You should really look into running a Z32 MAF (from a 300zx tt) and 370cc injectors. That combination goes well together, but put the MAF on the charged side of the piping.
Hope this helps get you started.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:08 PM

FMU is a "fuel Management unit"... Is it just a pressure regulator? Or is it some electronic gadget?

In that other link, there was discussion about the Synapse FPR (I guess we are using FPR and FMU interchangeable??). That is instead of this disc system?

Sounds like you are saying I can get the engine to run reliable and safe with just an adjustable FMU/FPR... But to do a proper tune, I need electronics to do the fine adjustments. Please confirm, because if this the case I can pick up one of those FMU/FPR things and make sure everything runs before dumping lots more money in to electronics.

The Z32MAF and injector change is referenced quite a bit. Does that work with the stock Maxima (96) ECU? Or does that assume I have some modified ECU? Is there a comprehensive FAQ on this topic?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
and this is in the delorian right?,.. pics pics pics
I was trying to upload some, but looks like I have to host them somewhere else??
Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 PM

Try http://imageshack.us/ for uploading pics.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Had a thought about putting the MAF on the boost side....

Where do I get metered clean air for PCV and Idle air?? How has that problem been solved on the Maxima's??

And, here are the photos..

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7864/img3881b.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9342/img3880.jpg
Old 02-24-2010, 08:54 PM

That's interesting. What car is that?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
That's interesting. What car is that?
DeLorean.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:43 PM

Amazing project. Good engine choice. FMU is fuel management unit and it boosts fuel pressure according to boost. http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=31

You can use your stock injectors and use the FMU to bump fuel pressure or if you have the funds you can do away with the FMU and just swap in large enough injectors where all you have to do is pull fuel away using a piggyback Air Fuel Controller (AFC) like the apexi safc2, vafc2, neo, etc. The Z32 injectors fit the stock us intake manifold so if you have that you can get those injectors used and they flow about 400cc. I don't know the needs of your fuel setup though so I can't say if they will be enough, too little, etc. The Z32 maf can read more air so if you are pushing enough air where the stock maf can't read high enough the Z32 maf would then be better to use. These will work with your stock ecu but you will need to tune that ecu; like using an afc.

If you are using the stock aluminum US intake manifold you may want to try Z32 injectors, Z32 maf, and an Air Fuel Controller.

To keep costs down at least for now I'm going to be using stock injectors, fmu, and vafc2. Vafc2 cost me $150 used from a forum member.
If you want to save some money; stock injectors, FMU, Air Fuel Controller.
If you have some money to play with then get larger injectors. It's better and easier.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:21 AM

I think I will go for just the FPR to start... See if I can get the engine to at least run!! Once I have that, I will consider some electronics to tune it.

You are in NJ? I am too.. Do you have someone you use for dyno tuning?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FMU is a "fuel Management unit"... Is it just a pressure regulator? Or is it some electronic gadget?

In that other link, there was discussion about the Synapse FPR (I guess we are using FPR and FMU interchangeable??). That is instead of this disc system?

Sounds like you are saying I can get the engine to run reliable and safe with just an adjustable FMU/FPR... But to do a proper tune, I need electronics to do the fine adjustments. Please confirm, because if this the case I can pick up one of those FMU/FPR things and make sure everything runs before dumping lots more money in to electronics.

The Z32MAF and injector change is referenced quite a bit. Does that work with the stock Maxima (96) ECU? Or does that assume I have some modified ECU? Is there a comprehensive FAQ on this topic?

Thanks so much for your help!
An FMU and FPR are two different things. An FPR is a fuel pressure regulator and you would use it to control the fuel pressure at idle and in pre-boost conditions to control larger than stock injectors.
I ran an FMU on my car with stock injectors and no FPR. If I had larger than stock injectors I would have added a FPR. The electronic engine management setups (Emanage, SAFC, etc.) give you the ability to fine tune and control numerous other factors to get the most out of your car.
The Z32MAF and injectors will work with the stock ECU. You will have to make sure that you order top feed injectors and not side feeds as you have a VQ35 and not the VQ30DE that comes in the 95-99 Maximas.
If you are looking for a tune that is more of a set and forget it type, than you need to call JWT. You send them your stock ECU and tell them you want it tuned for your setup (MAF, injectors, boost) and they will take care of the rest. It is a conservative tune, but just plug the ECU in and you are all set to go. This is not the cheapest option, but I feel this may be the way for you to go.

You might want to jump on this deal:
http://forums.maxima.org/forced-indu...injectors.html

Last edited by nismomaxct; 02-25-2010 at 05:35 AM. Reason: added link
Old 02-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Amazing project. Good engine choice. FMU is fuel management unit and it boosts fuel pressure according to boost. http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=31

You can use your stock injectors and use the FMU to bump fuel pressure or if you have the funds you can do away with the FMU and just swap in large enough injectors where all you have to do is pull fuel away using a piggyback Air Fuel Controller (AFC) like the apexi safc2, vafc2, neo, etc. The Z32 injectors fit the stock us intake manifold so if you have that you can get those injectors used and they flow about 400cc. I don't know the needs of your fuel setup though so I can't say if they will be enough, too little, etc. The Z32 maf can read more air so if you are pushing enough air where the stock maf can't read high enough the Z32 maf would then be better to use. These will work with your stock ecu but you will need to tune that ecu; like using an afc.

If you are using the stock aluminum US intake manifold you may want to try Z32 injectors, Z32 maf, and an Air Fuel Controller.

To keep costs down at least for now I'm going to be using stock injectors, fmu, and vafc2. Vafc2 cost me $150 used from a forum member.
If you want to save some money; stock injectors, FMU, Air Fuel Controller.
If you have some money to play with then get larger injectors. It's better and easier.
Hes running a RWD 3.5
The only 3.0 items he's using are the ECU and the timing chain/cover. Hes mentioned this a couple of times.
The Z32 inj. will not work with his setup and I dont think they would be big enough anyways.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Boosted Panda

MarcL,
That link that nismomaxct posted would have you up and running, and should be pretty safe.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Hes running a RWD 3.5
The only 3.0 items he's using are the ECU and the timing chain/cover. Hes mentioned this a couple of times.
The Z32 inj. will not work with his setup and I dont think they would be big enough anyways.
The engine itself is from a 2001 Maxima, I think... But you are correct, I am using the 96 ECU, and timing chain/cover.

Thanks for the info on the injectors. That saves me some trouble!

That link that nismomaxct posted would have you up and running, and should be pretty safe.
Just brought that up to read. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Boosted Panda

The engine itself is from a 2001 Maxima, I think... But you are correct, I am using the 96 ECU, and timing chain/cover.

Thanks for the info on the injectors. That saves me some trouble!

Just brought that up to read. Thanks!
Sorry about that, I thought I had read that the motor was sourced from an A33, but that was the intake.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Had a thought about putting the MAF on the boost side....

Where do I get metered clean air for PCV and Idle air?? How has that problem been solved on the Maxima's??
Again, thanks for all the help so far...

This question is still nagging at me. I have gotten lots of advice to put the MAF on the boost side, but still don't know how to solve the IAB and PCV problem..

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Recently used 1320 Performance 110 South Ave, Garwood, NJ, 07027 to tune my friends supercharged car with safc2.

I think I will go for just the FPR to start... See if I can get the engine to at least run!! Once I have that, I will consider some electronics to tune it.

You are in NJ? I am too.. Do you have someone you use for dyno tuning?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:00 AM

Again, thanks for all the help so far...

This question is still nagging at me. I have gotten lots of advice to put the MAF on the boost side, but still don't know how to solve the IAB and PCV problem..

Thanks!
For the PCV, simply vent the crankcase to atmosphere with a filter instead of running hose back to the intake side.

I don't know what an IAB is.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:26 AM

For the PCV, simply vent the crankcase to atmosphere with a filter instead of running hose back to the intake side.

I don't know what an IAB is.
There are 2 hoses for PCV.. The fresh air in, and the PCV valve out to the intake. You are saying remove both?? If I leave the PCV connected, then I am getting unmetered air.

IAB, Idle Air Bypass. Some call it an IAC? Idle Air Controller...

The thing that controls the amount of air to bypass the throttle body!