Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Tru-Cool Tranny cooler install (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:46 PM

Tru-Cool Tranny cooler install (Pics)

Just installed my new tranny cooler, it is made for 40,000 vehicles.

Part number:
TRU-COOL MAX LPD47391

Dimensions:
8 1/2" X 22" X 1 1/4"

This thing is huge! its basically the same face dimensions of my damn intercooler. I was going to mount it vertical behind the grill going down but once I got it and saw how big it was there was no way.
I had no other way to mount this thing, only options were, infront of the intercooler, or behind the intercooler. I went with behind the intercooler.

Required modifications were basically to get rid of the bracket that holds the powersteering cooler (stupid bar), it also supports the hood locking mechanism, the bumper support has this very flimsy metal where you screw the bumper top part too, well there is a thin bracket that also bolts up to this bracket. What I did is cut the bracket at the top, leaving the PS cooler hanging, then bolted up the bracket, it looks like the lil thin metal coming from bumper support holds the locking mechanism pretty good, but i MIGHT consider adding hood pins later on for more safety.

Results: I did a little bit of driving, driving around temp was about 150-160, so still not THAT low, did a few WOT short runs. and highest i saw was like 175-180, but quickly went back down to 160s (rad fans were on). I assume in longer runs, like a full 1/4 pass or highway it will be alot more efficient. I wish I was able to mount a fan in there, but its just too tight, unless they make a fan thats like half inch thick.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Definitely cheap insurance though it looked like a pain to install....I had to put one on my Grand Voyager awhile back (now THOSE are crap trannies) and it was a hassle finding a spot that would allow the cooler to do its job and still be in a decent place...

Anyone ever tried the 5spd auto tranny? Of course the 4spd's taller gearing isn't necessarily a bad thing...

Must be a blast to drive

Jeremy
Old 04-15-2010, 01:01 PM

I am going to relocate the cooler, after thinking about it. I dont like the idea of it being behind the intercooler. So what I am going to do is, put the oil cooler lower and put the tranny cooler ontop, if needed I will completely remove the hood locking mechanism and add hood pins, this will give me alot of space. The cooler will get 100% fresh air, instead of the heat coming from the IC.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 AM

me lieky
Old 10-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Licensed to Spell

I wouldn't run the hoses under the frame like that. I know it's more work, but you should find/make a way for the hoses to go through/above the front frame/beam.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM

Sweet, I had my setup to run across the back of the grill...

I thought about placing a small oil cooler by one of the empty fog light slots, so it get the freshest air possible. My concern thou, is a big rock, damaging it...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 PM

Yeah oil cooler by a foglight location would be great, thats how the 350Z guys do. ptatohed, I moved them up as far as possible, I dont think theres going to be an issue having it under the frame, iv had it like that with old cooler for about 4 or 5 years, no issues at all.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Yeah oil cooler by a foglight location would be great, thats how the 350Z guys do. ptatohed, I moved them up as far as possible, I dont think theres going to be an issue having it under the frame, iv had it like that with old cooler for about 4 or 5 years, no issues at all.
I agree. The chance is slim but, if you happen to bottom out on a dip and slash your lines, it could damage your trans and/or leave you stranded. It wasn't easy but I spent the time to cut an opening through the frame. I know most people do it like you did. Including the original "shop talk" how-to (by Greg).