Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

best wheel locks? ways to prevent wheel theft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 10:37 PM
no more maxima...

best wheel locks? ways to prevent wheel theft?

I am now looking for wheel locks. Wheel theft is quite common where I live. I am thinking of going with 2-3 sets of different wheel locks for each wheel. Are there any other tips as to securing wheels? Also what do you think the best wheel lock is? I find Gorilla seems to be among the most affordable brand. How are McGuard and OEM in comparison. Also any other tips?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2004, 01:17 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

wheel locks don't really help much to the common thief these days. They have power tools that will get the lock off just as fast as a regular lug nut. It's a heavy duty socket that drills right over your lug nut or lock.

back in the day, i heard something about these locks that had a spinning outer edge independent from the inside.. if you put a socket over it, it would just spin.. i have not been able to find these, they are called "porscha" or something along those lines..

otherwise, they won't help much.. can't hurt though. McGuard and OEM are both fine.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:48 AM
The original VQ...

On each wheel I have 4 of these wierd lookin things with that have small groves all around it and the key fits on top , then i have 1 regular nissan lock. Its ok to me but i bet my wheels are still stealable.
Ive seen the wheel locks NYCe MaXiMa is talkin bout at pep boys but they werent for our thread, search online and maybe youll find them.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
On each wheel I have 4 of these wierd lookin things with that have small groves all around it and the key fits on top , then i have 1 regular nissan lock. Its ok to me but i bet my wheels are still stealable.
Ive seen the wheel locks NYCe MaXiMa is talkin bout at pep boys but they werent for our thread, search online and maybe youll find them.
Are you talking about the McGard Spline Drive lug nuts? Those are the ones I'll be buying for my new wheels. They have a grooved pattern all around the nut as well. I'll be using a set of McGard wheel locks, 1 on each wheel.

This is the kit I'll be buying:
http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/mcgard.htm
Old 01-11-2004, 03:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
back in the day, i heard something about these locks that had a spinning outer edge independent from the inside.. if you put a socket over it, it would just spin.. i have not been able to find these, they are called "porscha" or something along those lines..
That's not the Gorilla Guard lock is it? I looked up Gorilla products and they made these (different from their standard lock nuts), although it's basically a collar to protect the lock splines and nothing else.... Is this what you were thinking of?
Old 01-11-2004, 10:07 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
wheel locks don't really help much to the common thief these days. They have power tools that will get the lock off just as fast as a regular lug nut. It's a heavy duty socket that drills right over your lug nut or lock.
Dammit. I was hoping not to hear something like this