Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Beware: Sumitomo HTR+

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Bandwagon Lover

Beware: Sumitomo HTR+

Bought a set last year. Definately thought they were great tires. Awesome handling and wet/dry traction. Great price of $114/ea for 235-40-18's.

Since then, I have put around 25k of highway driving on them (FWIW, I had 44k on my RE92's when I replaced them). After the first 3 weeks, I had a blowout. No problem as TireRack sent me a replacement. After the first 15k miles, I started to notice less traction. Nothing major, they simply did not hold as well nor were they quite as good when driving through the rain. At 20k they became very sensitive to "leaving the line". If the road was wet, they would spin very easily. Any semi-aggressive driving from a stop would induce wheel spin. At 23k, simply turning left/right from a stop in a non-aggressive manner would induce spin as would leaving a stop or light where there was yellow or white paint strips on the road. Wet driving was not fun at all, altho it was still better than the RE92's. At 25k (today), I had another blow while negotiating pre-rush hour traffic at 80mph.

The tread on the tires looks fine. Sure, at 25k, I only have 1/4 tread left, but the "uh-oh" bars are not even showing yet. On other tires I have owned I would have gotten at least another 8-10k out of them before replacement. It almost seems the HTR's have a tread compound that changes as you put miles on them.

In 23 years of driving, I have only had 3 flat tires. The first was due to road debris causing a side-wall puncture over 10 years ago (Goodyear Gatorbacks). The last two were within the last 11 months while using the HTR+'s.

I have since ordered a set of Yokohama AVS DB S2's. Hopefully these will be better tires than the Sumitomo's.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:27 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Good info. Thanks for the review.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I've been running the HTR's for two years, they have just over 20K miles on them. The tread ware has been excellent, my traction has stayed the same since day one. They ride super smooth and quiet. I don't get wheel spin, nor do I lose traction on tight turns at high speeds. Wet traction is awsome, they even tracked well through last years snow.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I've been running the HTR's for two years, they have just over 20K miles on them. The tread ware has been excellent, my traction has stayed the same since day one. They ride super smooth and quiet. I don't get wheel spin, nor do I lose traction on tight turns at high speeds. Wet traction is awsome, they even tracked well through last years snow.
Tread wear on mine also looks good after 25k miles and they are relatively even with the middle only somewhat less than the edges (normal Sumitomo wear from what I understand). Pretty much what I would expect from a high-performance tire. Unfortunately it does not change the problems I have with them mentioned in this thread. I only wish my Maxi had somehow gained additional horsepower to allow such easy tire spin
Old 10-07-2004, 12:40 PM

i got sumitomo htr(225/50/16) on stock rims.. within 7 months the front driver side tire has a bubble in the U (sUmitomo) and the front right one has an unexplainable slow leak. i hate these tires and have been doing constant burnouts recently just to punish these pieces of $h*t!!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 07:03 PM
living out of a maxima...

235/45/17 HTR+ have treated me well so far...