Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Sumitomo HTRZ-II opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 02:47 PM
SLOW

Sumitomo HTRZ-II opinions?

Anyone have personal experience with them? I need 4 new tires for the max, and I need to balance performance with cost. I'm low on money right now, but the 400+whp needs something that can put it down with some semblance of traction. I was considering trying some Kumho MXs, or going with another set of T1-S (which I've had 3 sets of now and like very much) but I found the HTRZ-II for $95 each as opposed to about $150 for the T1-S and $140 for the MXs.

Anyone have anything very good or very bad to say about them?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:19 PM
STFU n00b!

I wasn't too happy with them.
you may consider the HTRZ, but I wouldn't mess with the HTRZ-II.

I had a hard time keeping them stuck down in the dry with only 200hp.. the wet was an absolute joke.

edit....
I just mounted a set of Kumho MX this week (on sale at $129, btw.. paid $152ea for them mounted & bal at Discount.... 245/40/17)
So far I'm not incredibly impressed with them, but I think some of that is just getting through that hard outer coating on them and wearing them into the car a bit. running -3 camber up front for the track, so there's not much tire on the ground when I'm in 1st gear.

braking and cornering seem pretty nice on them but, again, I haven't really beat on the tires yet. I have an auto X this Sunday, so we'll see how they do then.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:58 PM

I replaced the MXs on my Z with the HRTZ II .... I kinda wish I had just put another set of MXs on ... to be fair I only have a few hundred miles on the tires so far.... they feel kinda squirmy on turns.... but grip ok .... just feels like the car takes set in the corner .... may just be the fact I still have full tread.... traction has not been much of a issue yet.... the Z makes around 210rwhp and with 275s it hooks ok.... I saved a few bucks over the MX's .... and since I bought "R" compounds or the track at the same time.... I guess it worked out ok..... I'll have fun kill'n them on the street...... next set for the street will be the Falken Azenis RT-615

only problem with the MXs are they don't like the cold..... slippery when cold

BTW Matt I got about 2,000 miles and 15 autox/track events out of the MXs .... they don't feel that great the first few events..... however they just keep get'n faster till they are gone ...... it's funny I was one of the first guys in my area running them when everyone was using the R-215 and spray'n them every run.... no temp problems for the MXs..... after 2 events this year .... every street tire car I have looked at are on MXs
Old 03-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Conecarver

I too had the HTR2's in the 235/45/17. They were decent enough for a summer tire but definately not a "Max perf" catagory. I too found some slip in wet and forget snow. Actually I found em harsh on the ride with just Eibach Pro springs and that prompted my switch to 50series. On heavy rims they'd be fine but on lightweight rims you'll probably break em loose too often.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:42 PM
SLOW

Hmmm now I'm having second thoughts... thankyou for the opinions keep em coming. I guess it's not looking good so far.

Basically what I am looking for at this point is straight line traction and price and longevity. I'll avoid driving the car when its really wet out. I was thinking of MXs, or maybe even Azenis sports, but I hear azenis sports wear out like crazy. The car won't be seeing anything other than highways for the time being at least, certainly no road courses or really hard twistees until the suspension is more sorted.

Any other opinions on these or any other tire. I really love my T1-S in both dry and wet, but they are much more expensive of course.